Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I loved the full preview in Mike Mignola Builds Characters.

Can't wait to pick this up today.

Read this last night. I liked it. Reynolds art is fantastic, as always. He does a great job conveying mood, but also showing us the Drowning City, which was fun to imagine in the novel, but it's great seeing it realized by an artist of Reynolds caliber. Stewart kills it on the colors, bringing even more mood to the page over Reynolds dark and scratchy inks. What a pair these two are.

I liked the story, but it felt a little slight. It's a first issue, so it's setting up the world as well as the mystery, so I won't fault it. I suppose it's just that I wanted more when it was over, and that's a good thing. It means they did their job in drawing me in.

I'm exited for this series and glad a second is already planned to follow right behind it.

The Claw of Justice!

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Read this last night. I liked it. Reynolds art is fantastic, as always. He does a great job conveying mood, but also showing us the Drowning City, which was fun to imagine in the novel, but it's great seeing it realized by an artist of Reynolds caliber. Stewart kills it on the colors, bringing even more mood to the page over Reynolds dark and scratchy inks. What a pair these two are.

I liked the story, but it felt a little slight. It's a first issue, so it's setting up the world as well as the mystery, so I won't fault it. I suppose it's just that I wanted more when it was over, and that's a good thing. It means they did their job in drawing me in.

I'm exited for this series and glad a second is already planned to follow right behind it.
    Unfortunately my store didn't get this, so I'll be reading it digitally tonight, I think. I'm looking forward to it.

You need a better comic shop!

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post

I'm in the same boat, I got to the last page and was like, "That's it!" to be fair part of that frustration was that I really spoiled the issue for myself, between the online preview and Mike Mignola Builds Characters issue I had read more than half of the book before it even came out.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I'm in the same boat, I got to the last page and was like, "That's it!" to be fair part of that frustration was that I really spoiled the issue for myself, between the online preview and Mike Mignola Builds Characters issue I had read more than half of the book before it even came out.
    This is why I always avoid previews myself. Although, I also think almost all #1 stories could benefit from being double length, especially when they have an unfamiliar world to establish.

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    This is why I always avoid previews myself. Although, I also think almost all #1 stories could benefit from being double length, especially when they have an unfamiliar world to establish.
    The only problem with that is "double length" often means "more expensive", so if someone is on the fence about whether to try it or not the higher price may discourage them.

I read 3 pages of preview. Any more and I don't read them.

I've read the book, so I am a little more versed in the world than some, and I didn't have a problem with a shorter version of what I knew from the book, but still some of that retelling left me wanting more of the story than the set up of the world.

I don't know if it would have to be double length, so much as just some extra pages. 5-10 at most would be alright. Just a little more. That's a creative choice, and a monetary one, too. It just kind of depends on how profitable your books are, then deciding if you can give more at the same price or not. Some recent Image books have done that. I appreciate it, and it makes me want to keep supporting those books since they're working harder to give me more.

All that said, I enjoyed the book, I'm just excited for the earlier adventures of Joe and Mr. Church.

I usually try but I was so excited for this project that I just couldn't help myself. Don't get me wrong, although I didn't get the full experience there was a lot to like but I feel like I'll love the second issue more because there is no way I'll spoil myself twice in a row!

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    . . . I also think almost all #1 stories could benefit from being double length, especially when they have an unfamiliar world to establish.
    The only problem with that is "double length" often means "more expensive", so if someone is on the fence about whether to try it or not the higher price may discourage them.
    And the more I think about it, shouldn't they take an opposite track for the first issue?
    Instead of a regular-length issue #1, have a lower-priced issue #0 with maybe half the content of a typical first issue and with a price of $1.75 or $1.99 (U.S.) to give people a less-expensive chance to try it for themselves? They can always add some preview / interview material for other new series as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And the more I think about it, shouldn't they take an opposite track for the first issue?
    Instead of a regular-length issue #1, have a lower-priced issue #0 with maybe half the content of a typical first issue and with a price of $1.75 or $1.99 (U.S.) to give people a less-expensive chance to try it for themselves? They can always add some preview / interview material for other new series as well.
    That's pretty much what they do with the "Builds Characters" books, they focus on an author or artist and show case the various projects they've worked on recently and some that are forth coming...and they're free.

The Claw of Justice!

I finally got around to reading it, and I loved it. I wonder if Patric Reynolds will continue on the series after this mini? I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by LobsterJohnson View Post
    I finally got around to reading it, and I loved it. I wonder if Patric Reynolds will continue on the series after this mini? I hope so.
    Let's just say he's very enthusiastic about Joe Golem.