Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The Claw of Justice!

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I have to agree that characters are rather bland (haven't read any material with them before this mini). What keeps me interested in this is art, overall atmosphere and Mignola's name.
    In the novel, Joe and Mr. Church are both fascinating characters. So far they aren't as interesting in this mini, but I think that will improve as the series continues. I do agree that Patric Reynolds' art is great for this book, and I've enjoyed both issues so far because of both the writing and the art.

I just read the novel (between reading issues 1 and 2). I liked issue 1 and did not have a problem following it and picking up on the characters. But of course it is richer now.
    It looks like this takes place before the events of the novel. So Joe's mindset is in line with that.
    I hope the do stories after the novel as well.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    It looks like this takes place before the events of the novel. So Joe's mindset is in line with that.
    I hope the do stories after the novel as well.
    The novel is set in 1975, I believe. The comics are in 1965.

Part 3 out tomorrow. Here's a preview: http://www.comicbookresources.com/co...se-comics-2016

Looks gorgeous as always.

Last edited by middenway; 01-06-2016 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    Well, just to clarify: we're talking just final issue of the arc, since in the February solicitations we have
    Joe Golem #4 (of 5)
    Mike Mignola (W), Christopher Golden (W), Patric Reynolds (A), Dave Stewart (C), and David Palumbo (Cover)
    On sale Feb 3
    FC, 32 pages
    $3.50
    Miniseries
    A search for the source of a signal picked up on Simon Church's paranormal detector leads Church and Joe Golem to a mansion in submerged Greenwich Village, where a millionaire is going to supernatural lengths to recover what the Drowning City has taken from him.
    • Ties in to illustrated novel Joe Golem and the Drowning City.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Well, just to clarify: we're talking just final issue of the arc, since in the February solicitations we have
    I like that it seems like we'll see church in the field.

As for this issue, I loved the reveal with the fish guy and the kids and that Church is intentionally keeping Joe in the dark. It's still moving a little too slow characterization wise but the art is beautiful.

Dropping it. Lack of characterizations and slow pace finally did it for me. I also really didn't like flashbacks, they don't provide anything new (oh look, he kills witches again) to the story but take up multiple pages.

I really enjoyed it, but I think having read the novel helps.

I really liked the end. Classic misunderstood monster.

The Claw of Justice!

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I really enjoyed it, but I think having read the novel helps.

I really liked the end. Classic misunderstood monster.
    I thought this issue was the best of the three so far. The art was great, especially in the golem flashback. I hope we find out more about whoever created the monster in the next two issues.

Yeah, the third issue made it for me.

YOu know, one less flashback and a a little more character development between Joe and Church might have helped this series. I agree with the complaints, and despite how it was billed, I do think the series is better if you've read the novel.

Having read it, I didn't see any real problems with this mini series and I cant' help but wonder if Mignola/Golden didn't see it's minor problems for the same reasons.

I mean from three issues we know that Joe and Church are "friends". Joe is a good lad/"golem" who has dreams about his past and Church is hiding something from him. Thats about it, other comics pack more characterizations in one issue.

First, I think Mignola books are always a slower burn than "most" comics. Whatever that's worth to you.

We know that Church is trying to subdue Joe's dreams. If you've read the novel you'll know why, if not, I guess there's some mystery to, ideally, keep you intrigued. We know there's things about Church we don't know, but have seen hints of... unfortunately Church didn't get much to do here. I'd have traded a flashback for a scene giving us a little more insight into his character. The opening scene of this arc was wonderful, and one of the best parts of the arc. I wish we got more of that. Leave the flashbacks alone a little more. Let them be more of a mystery for a while.

Again, I agree that it's a little lighter than it could have been. They said you didn't need to have read the novel, and you don't, but I think you'll enjoy it more if you have. They can't remove that info from their heads, and how they're writing this, and it shows.

I agree with this: http://www.multiversitycomics.com/reviews/joe-golem-3/

All in all I liked it enough to keep coming back. Reynolds' art is wonderful. He does an amazing job with this world and I can't wait to see more. It feels real and lived in, as do the characters. He's only going to get better, too.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I mean from three issues we know that Joe and Church are "friends". Joe is a good lad/"golem" who has dreams about his past and Church is hiding something from him. Thats about it, other comics pack more characterizations in one issue.
    While the pace of stuff is a tad slow for some tastes, it wouldn't be so bad if this was an on-going title where we knew it wasn't ending after two more issues. But since we just finished issue #3 of 5, one would have expected to have a little bit more revealed by now. (And the fact that there is a separate novel should have nothing to do with that, unless they want to say on the cover "Don't bother to spend money on this unless you read the novel, moron!")