Thread: Novels

All-New Member twentymilesoutoftown's Avatar

Default Novels

Have you guys read any of the Hellboy novels? I picked up The Fire Wolves a few weeks ago. It was okay. Are any of them especially good?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Hellboy: The Bones of the Giants is seriously one of my favorite Hellboy stories of all time, prose or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Hellboy: The Bones of the Giants is seriously one of my favorite Hellboy stories of all time, prose or otherwise.
    I've read the three Christopher Golden ones. This one was great, the Lost Army was ok, The Dragon Pool didn't do much for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinkie View Post
    I've read the three Christopher Golden ones. This one was great, the Lost Army was ok, The Dragon Pool didn't do much for me.
    Yeah, the Dragon Pool was a little week but I liked the Lost Army too...but Bones of the Giants was awesome, not only was the characterizations of Hellboy and Abe awesome but Mike's art was fantastic:

Yeah, the Dragon Pool was a little week but I liked the Lost Army too...but Bones of the Giants was awesome, not only was the characterizations of Hellboy and Abe awesome but Mike's art was fantastic.
    I hope that some day those three stories get adapted to comics, perhaps as a part of Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.

All-New Member twentymilesoutoftown's Avatar

Thanks for the input. Bones of the Giants has been added to my list.

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    I hope that some day those three stories get adapted to comics, perhaps as a part of Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.
    That would be a dream come true, though when I asked Mike at a con about that in the past I got a pretty empathetic, "No" but a guy can still dream, right?

Does Mignola provide illustrations for all the novels?
    currently reading: Dept. H, Hellboy in Hell, Kaijumax, Moon Knight

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

This. I've read several Hellboy books and Bones of the Giants is unbelievably amazing! Read this book next
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Yeah, the Dragon Pool was a little week but I liked the Lost Army too...but Bones of the Giants was awesome, not only was the characterizations of Hellboy and Abe awesome but Mike's art was fantastic:
    Agreed on the two excellent illustrated novels, which the Dragon Pool just isn't I would feel.

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    Why? I don't see what any of that would add.

Especially since the illustrated novels really seem made to read with the density of pulp novels and not comics. Even the illustration style seems so rich and different, eventhough non-sequential graphically obviously, but that's what is making the format of it so welcome and different and intricate, I'd think.

I feel the Hellboy books really explain to me or give me a feel onto how dense and vast pulp books may actually be to seem as, which makes me appreciate how different for example a REH book reads from any of its 'comic adaptations' (to not speak of any movie adaptions which mostly appear to have no density at all).

Personally I've never read much pulp novels but a whole lot of illustrated novels, such as Solomon Kane and Le Petit Prince, but I gather that for mr Mike himself those pulp novels and ghost stories is where Hellboy seems to come from as an influence. And that's the primary thing about why I like those two illustrated Hellboy novels so much, it seems the format that makes them so good - next to all the comics being also fantastic.

And I feel to like the variation this way a great deal: this way we get comics but also a few actual pulp books. Hell, even some "junior" crazyness but not too much. If all that would just get translated into 32-page comics then any of this variation between formats would not exist.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper