Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Worlds' Finest Cancelled Anyway; #27 Final Issue?

This is just a tad confusing...

Last week, in DC Comics' solicitations for August, Worlds' Finest #26 was erroneously listed as the "Final Issue" of the series.

Today, over at Diamonds' Previews website, under the link for Product Changes:

http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/958

We find this little blurb under the DC Entertainment heading:

• Worlds’ Finest #26 (JUN140190, $2.99) is not the final issue of the series. This issue’s solicitation erroneously notes it as such. The series’ actual final issue, #27, will be solicited in the July PREVIEWS.
    Which is odd, for two reasons:

One, there was a recent interview with Paul Levitz that indicated he'd be continuing to write the series, but instead of focusing on Power Girl and the Huntress, it would focus on the Earth-2 Superman and Batman in the time BEFORE the arrival of Darkseid.

Two, the July PREVIEWS would be for SEPTEMBER, when all the one-shot "Future's End" books will be coming out. There is a Future's End Worlds' Finest #1, written by Levitz, but it isn't listed as issue #27. I suspect this is a mistake, and they actually do mean August Previews (meaning an October release date), but I could be wrong.

It's possible the adventures of Earth-2 Superman and Batman will be in a new volume of World's Finest (note the apostrophe placement), starting with #1. Or perhaps the title will change (the apostrophe will move), and the numbering will continue, with #28, etc., so Worlds' Finest #27 is really the last issue of plural WORLDS' Finest.

Or it could be Levitz' stories of the E2 Superman and Batman will just last one issue.

Or perhaps DC has decided to count all the "Future's End" issues as regularly numbered issues of the series. If that's the case, none of the series "cancelled" in August would have final issues that month, save All-Star Western, since they all have Future's End issues.

For now, just count me confused.

Always Rakzo

It's not cancelled, it's still going.

God, it's still going.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    It's not cancelled, it's still going.

God, it's still going.
    Hey, but the good news is that you don't have to get it if you don't like it, and the people who like it can just keep getting it!

Now everybody's happy!
    WHO DAT?!!

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Vell View Post
    Hey, but the good news is that you don't have to get it if you don't like it, and the people who like it can just keep getting it!

Now everybody's happy!
    Unfortunately there aren't enough people who like it so it's going away (at least this version of it). So no one is happy.

Not sure why they wouldn't just start with a brand new #1. I mean, why not? It will bump sales and it's a brand new direction
    Last edited by AlexanderLuthor; 05-27-2014 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderboy12 View Post

Which is odd, for two reasons:

One, there was a recent interview with Paul Levitz that indicated he'd be continuing to write the series, but instead of focusing on Power Girl and the Huntress, it would focus on the Earth-2 Superman and Batman in the time BEFORE the arrival of Darkseid.

Two, the July PREVIEWS would be for SEPTEMBER, when all the one-shot "Future's End" books will be coming out. There is a Future's End Worlds' Finest #1, written by Levitz, but it isn't listed as issue #27. I suspect this is a mistake, and they actually do mean August Previews (meaning an October release date), but I could be wrong.

Well, for what it's worth, in the most recent podcast for Comic Geek Speak one of the interviewers, who evidently runs an LCS is Pennsylvania, indicated that the order forms that have been sent out for September indicate that DC will be producing both the Five Years Later volumes and regular volumes of all its series. He mentioned that this is causing consternation among managers in the direct market, since if they follow through on that September will be a very expensive month and no one is sure how much money to risk on the tie-in volumes. Perhaps this is just a kerfuffle with DC sending out bad information or misleading order forms. But if it is true, then the regular volumes for September would be solicited in July.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    Unfortunately there aren't enough people who like it so it's going away (at least this version of it). So no one is happy.

Not sure why they wouldn't just start with a brand new #1. I mean, why not? It will bump sales and it's a brand new direction
    Maybe that IS what's happening. It could be the final issue of that volume AND still continue with Earth 2 Batman and Superman with the new volume.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dzetoun View Post
    Well, for what it's worth, in the most recent podcast for Comic Geek Speak one of the interviewers, who evidently runs an LCS is Pennsylvania, indicated that the order forms that have been sent out for September indicate that DC will be producing both the Five Years Later volumes and regular volumes of all its series. He mentioned that this is causing consternation among managers in the direct market, since if they follow through on that September will be a very expensive month and no one is sure how much money to risk on the tie-in volumes. Perhaps this is just a kerfuffle with DC sending out bad information or misleading order forms. But if it is true, then the regular volumes for September would be solicited in July.
    Now see, when I hear that, what I assume is that someone is confusing the "regular issues" of the series with "regular covers" (that is, the non-3-D versions for $2.99) of the Five Years Later books.

I use to really like this book, but ever since that travesty of a crossover with B/S and all this other confusion / garbage, I sometimes don't know if it's worth it.
    (And I like Levitz as the writer, so that's not my problem . . . it's all the other garbage decisions DC seems to make.)

Astonishing Member

I am reading Batman/Superman and I honestly hate these types of crossovers that go into other books.

You can blame the editor for that problem. They probably wanted a few percentage point increases on WF and B/S and didn't care about alienating the readership.

Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Vell View Post

Now everybody's happy!
    I am not reading it, but another Superman/Batman team book is just going to dilute the sales on the main B/S book. Editorial should have just cancelled Worlds Finest.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 05-27-2014 at 01:05 PM.

o.k., but does anybody really care about Earth-2 Superman and Batman before apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by deadboy80 View Post
    o.k., but does anybody really care about Earth-2 Superman and Batman before apocalypse.
    I do and I don't care if it's just another title featuring Batman/Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    Now see, when I hear that, what I assume is that someone is confusing the "regular issues" of the series with "regular covers" (that is, the non-3-D versions for $2.99) of the Five Years Later books.
    Yes, that would be the most plausible explanation.

Either that or DC has no f#@&in' clue as to what's happening with that title.

CBR Managing Editor

We've confirmed with DC Comics that "Worlds' Finest" is not ending with #27, and that Diamond's listing (which has since been amended) was in error. We've added an addendum at the bottom of our Paul Levitz interview on the series: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=53058

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Yeah, there is no way they are doubling the line in September and diluting the sale of the one shots. They have to be talking about the 2D versions