Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Dissatisfied with the Marvel Ahead

Since the age of 12 I have for the most part been a Marvel Zombie and it's been a great run (about to turn 41) With the relaunch, reboot, reset this fall I will for the first time in close to 30 years no longer be Making Mine Marvel. Don't get me wrong I have thoroughly enjoyed Secret Wars thus far and the spin off series have been top notch but I think I am at the point where I have simply lost the love for the characters that have entertained me these last few decades. In part it's my belief that everything has been said and done. In part it's also due to the rise of Image Comics and my perceived value of paying 2.99 for a comic like Saga vs 3.99 for Guardians of the Galaxy. I think finally it just comes down to the fact that I am really interested in stories that are finite. The collector in me will struggle with not buying into the relaunch but the fan in me says it's time to move on. Anyone else feel the same way?

You should give it a chance, then if you dont like it you can move on, i mean nothing lasts forever (that goes for the fanbase and the marvel universe)
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else."

Seriously, I'm 53 and I'm hanging in there, although I am questioning a LOT about this reboot. You might just want to distance yourself a bit, take a more casual approach.

BANNED

I'm going to take a break from both Marvel and DC for a while, except for the X-MEN, I'll keep reading them.

Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how great Al Ewing's Ultimates and New Avengers books look. It's really distracting.

Aspiring Underachiever Turn the Page's Avatar

I'm mostly feeling the same way. I'll finish out Secret Wars, and Moon Knight seems to be ending. I'm still interested in Aaron's Doctor Strange, and to a lesser extent Extraordinary X-Men. I've been kind of losing interest in superhero stories to a certain extent. There just doesn't yet seem like much interests me following Secret Wars, and on the DC side of the superhero coin I lost interest in Batman right around Zero Year. Image titles keep getting added to my pull list, and much of it is from the same creators who work for Marvel and DC. The big two really should find a way to bring Icon and Vertigo closer to the main stream.

As more of my favourite creators leave Marvel and DC, I've noticed that more of my interest goes with them.

Astonishing Member

Nope. Been reading for 30 years and have learned to enjoy stories no matter who the publisher is.

That being said......Burger King, we are done. Your fries are horrible now

aka "The Watchdog" 8BitRedBeard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theilikepie View Post
    You should give it a chance, then if you dont like it you can move on, i mean nothing lasts forever (that goes for the fanbase and the marvel universe)
    Exactly my thoughts indeed.
    "With great power comes great responsibility."

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    Totally agree. Satis-fries, my ass!

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Watchdog View Post
    Exactly my thoughts indeed.
    Seconded. It could be great for all the OP knows.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    Nope. Been reading for 30 years and have learned to enjoy stories no matter who the publisher is.

I love their chicken stuff to much to let go, I did say bye to McDonald's a while ago though

Meanwhile I'm loving the stuff announced

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Centipede Damascus View Post
    Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how great Al Ewing's Ultimates and New Avengers books look. It's really distracting.
    SONGBIRD IS FINALLY BACK!!!! And Monica has her trenchcoat.

Hey man. Worst comes worst, yull always have back issues and reprints.
    Cyclops was right

I've been a fan of Marvel for over 20 years but totally understand falling out of love with Marvel and going a different route in your comicbook buying.I'll support Marvel threw the thick and the thin and will buy atleast a few of their comics as long as comics are still being produced.Kind of like my love of Pro Wrestling and the WWE,no matter how shitty it may get I'll be their.

On a side note whats really rubbing me wrong about the All-New All-Different Marvel is the fact that so many characters look to be getting replaced and having characters take on their mantel while the originals are push to the sides.

Captain America-Falcon
    Hulk-Amedus Cho(RUMORED)
    Spider-Man-Ultimate Spider-Man
    Star Lord-Kitty Pryde
    Thor-Jane Foster
    Wolverine-X-23

That really doesn't set well with me and in the long run doesn't help any of these characters who are taking on the mantels sense their not the originals and everyone knows that the originals will take back their rightful title and place in the MU and these characters will always be look at as second rate when if they where pushed on their own and in their own direction not tied to these big named Marvel characters could do a lot better and be way more interesting.

If I am understanding correctly, the reason for leaving Marvel is not so much the idea that everything will be different or "rebooted" after secret Wars, but rather the fatigue with the characters and universe in general which is completely understandable.

I was mainly a DC guy up until the new 52 reboot in 2011. I got into comics around Infinite Crisis and at that time everything DC seemed to be different parts of the same story, there would be aspects of Identity Crisis that reflected in Teen Titans and aspects of Teen Titans that I would see in Green Arrow and I felt that I was reading this beautifully intricate story that was planned out into 52 the series. It was a fantastic time but I was ignorant to how comic production really was in the way that most of the time a writer would be on a book for 5 issues and then leave and the book would be completely different and yet have the same name. Despite the allusion of a constant plan in place for DC being shattered I still found that I was interested in what was happening with the characters and the ever growing history of the DCU. When the new 52 came and destroyed all that history and legacy I quit because I learned that non of it mattered in what was to come. With Marvel at least the past will still be intact from what I understand about post Secret Wars.

All that being said, I with things were more like the independent books where most of the time its one writers vision and story without the constant interruptions from the publisher.

BANNED

Nothing lasts forever, man. Not even farewells.