Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I hope Remender gets to write something. And hopefully there's a new Fantastic Four as well! So many books!

Astonishing Member

For everyone complaining about the loss of Marvel writers, this kind of churn happens every few years for the same reasons - better opportunities elsewhere OR a desire to do their own thing.

The only guy who's still hanging on for dear life is really Bendis.

Also, I'm stunned that anyone includes Deconnick among the likes of Fraction, Remender, Hickman and Gillen. Nothing she's worked on at Marvel has been a big seller. No big loss there. Aside from that Fraction pretty much stepped back years ago and stuck around due to Hawkeye. Hickman, while a huge loss in terms of vision is a divisive writer. Of the listed writers leaving he's the most irreplaceable. Remender is generally hot and cold with readers, with Uncanny X-Factor being the peak of his Marvel output and that was years ago.

Marvel still has the likes of Waid, Bendis, Aaron, PAD and Spencer. They're pushing guys like Ewing, Soule, Duggan, Hopeless and Bunn. Wilson is having WAY more success with Ms Marvel than Deconnick ever did with Captain Marvel. None of this includes the writers new to Marvel that they're bringing in. Marvel's fine in terms of their writers bench. The question is whether their concepts and execution will be up to snuff.
    Last edited by Ceebiro; 06-30-2015 at 04:49 AM.

I'm still holding out hope for a new War Machine book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zauri View Post
    Equally shocking to me is the fact that nobody is talking about the fact that there's clearly something wrong happening at Marvel right now. I'm sincerely worried with the comics side of Marvel, the fact that Marvel is losing their heavy hitters writers indicate that things aren't looking good behind the curtains. For the first time since the 90's collapse, I'm very worried with Marvel's future. It doesn't feels right, I feel like Marvel Comics took a huge hit creatively and I'm not sure who should step in to make sense out of this mess, but I just feel that apathy isn't what they were looking for with these new books. We are talking about diversity in comics and at same time Marvel is taking a blow losing arguably two of their best writers completely out of nowhere. I feel like Bendis is been around Marvel for far too long, and regardless the reasons Hickman and Remender had to leave, the way they are acting on social media shows that they weren't happy with something behind the scenes.

I don't know what is happening, but it looks like it's a mess. Marvel Studios is doing some great work, maybe Marvel should just give the keys to the Comics side of things for Kevin Feige, or find someone like him to run things.
    That's the impression I've been left with for a while. Some of their signed on writers are already being stretched out to thin as it is(lemuire)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Elsa Bloodstone, according to Bleeding Cool. She's not a vampire. In fact, her blood burns vampires. Hopefully, Barbiere writes her as the sarcastic, violent delight from Nextwave.
    Ew. That makes the cover more disappointing.

Even if it wasn't Elsa, I'd be bothered by why the woman being the only person showing her butt.

Never change comics. /s

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    For everyone complaining about the loss of Marvel writers, this kind of churn happens every few years for the same reasons - better opportunities elsewhere OR a desire to do their own thing.

Also, I'm stunned that anyone includes Deconnick among the likes of Fraction, Remender, Hickman and Gillen. Nothing's she's worked on at Marvel has been a big seller. No big loss there. Aside from that Fraction pretty much stepped back years ago and stuck around due to Hawkeye. Hickman, while a huge loss in terms of vision is a divisive writer. Of the listed writers leaving he's the most irreplaceable. Remender is generally hot and cold with readers, with Uncanny X-Factor being the peak of his Marvel output and that was years ago.

Marvel still has the likes of Waid, Bendis, Aaron, PAD and Spencer. They're pushing guys like Ewing, Soule, Duggan, Hopeless and Bunn. Wilson is having WAY more success with Ms Marvel than Deconnick ever did with Captain Marvel. None of this includes the writers new to Marvel that they're bringing in. Marvel's fine in terms of their writers bench. The question is whether their concepts and execution will be up to snuff.
    No ones complaining. It's an observation. Yes this stuff happens but not in mass like this. Some there writers are being stretched to thin as it is and already have their own independent work as it is. BMB hanging in their isn't good news as he's severely lacking in quality.

I suppose the Extraordinary X-Men seems interesting.

Still waiting to see Invisible Woman in anything....

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Elsa Bloodstone, according to Bleeding Cool. She's not a vampire. In fact, her blood burns vampires. Hopefully, Barbiere writes her as the sarcastic, violent delight from Nextwave.
    I honestly thought that was Bobbi. Hell, I even considered the female werebear. If it's Elsa then cool, glad she's has her original hair color again.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hariel0079 View Post
    That's the impression I've been left with for a while. Some of their signed on writers are already being stretched out to thin as it is(lemuire)
    Who are you to determine if writers are being stretched out thin?I'm sure they know what their limitations are and if it's an opportunity for them to a) tell stories and b) make more money why should they turn it down?

Like I said a few posts up, this is just the kind of statement flying around when Millar, Carey, Brubaker and Jenkins left or were out of work at Marvel years ago. Of course, this made way for guys like Remender, Hickman and Fraction in the first place.
    Last edited by Ceebiro; 06-30-2015 at 04:55 AM.

I honestly thought that was Bobbi. Hell, I even considered the female werebear. If it's Elsa then cool, glad she's has her original hair color again.
    I thought it was Neena Price (?), Vampire by Night

Astonishing Member

No ones complaining. It's an observation. Yes this stuff happens but not in mass like this. Some there writers are being stretched to thin as it is and already have their own independent work as it is. BMB hanging in their isn't good news as he's severely lacking in quality.
    Last time I'll address this.

It's pretty evident that creators are leaving because they want to produce the stories that they want freely and will own completely. These are two things that they would never get at Marvel because Marvel has never operated in that fashion.

Hollywood's interest in comic book properties has also helped to make such moves more viable. There is a risk, yes but the rewards substantially outweigh slaving at Marvel for up to 10 years to make a name for yourself. Kirkman never had a hit at Marvel but he's one of the most successful comic book creators of our generation if not THE most successful because of The Walking Dead.

Again, creators leaving does not mean that something is wrong with Marvel.
    Last edited by Ceebiro; 06-30-2015 at 05:31 AM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post

Also, I'm stunned that anyone includes Deconnick among the likes of Fraction, Remender, Hickman and Gillen. Nothing she's worked on at Marvel has been a big seller. No big loss there. Aside from that Fraction pretty much stepped back years ago and stuck around due to Hawkeye. Hickman, while a huge loss in terms of vision is a divisive writer. Of the listed writers leaving he's the most irreplaceable. Remender is generally hot and cold with readers, with Uncanny X-Factor being the peak of his Marvel output and that was years ago.

In the comics industry you always lose some and gain some. Remender, Hickman and Fraction were all young guns when they started around the Dark Reign Era.

Still pretty impressive writers lined up:

Super Stars: Ellis,Bendis, Soule, Slott, Pad, Waid, Jason Aaron, Charles Soule and Jeff Lemire ( both who had stellar runs at DC : Animal Man, Swamp thing, Green Arrow etc...)
    Confirmed but underrated : Duggan, Bunn ( Probably the best Anti Hero writer around), James Robinson ( Super important while at DC), Al Ewing
    Rising Stars: Hopeless, Wilson, Bennet, Barbiere ( Very underrated with killer indy titles such as Five Ghosts and Blackout), Sean Ryan, Joshua Williamson and the wild card Zdarsky

Concerning the lack of Artists: You have Sorrentino, Stegman, Pichelli, Marquez, Kubert, Asrar, Dauterman, Acuna, McNiven and since they need more time than writers and plan ahead the second arcs will probably feature the return of Deodato,Leinil Yu, Allred, Bradshaw etc ( Notice the lack of Secret Wars artists)

Also Hickman, Remender and Gillen are all on breaks not permanent leave. Remender and Gillen talked about a year off while Hickman has hinted at 6 Months. Deconnick is taking off before they are handling now a TV Studio alongside writing duties for her image titles and producing Sex Criminals and Southern Bastard.

Still a much, much stronger lineup than DC , the only 2 writers that can be poached from DC to make Marvel Super top are Geoff Johns and Scott Snyder and that's never gonna happen...

Ps: Where has Ales Kot dissapeared btw ?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skeight View Post
    Snip
    You're preaching to the choir. Marvel's hardly in drastically worse shape than they were one or two years ago just because a few writer leave, especially since they've been drawing in talent for a while now.

And yeah. Ales Kot seems to be going the way of Fialkov and quite possibly Edmonson - a good run that doesn't really pan out into broader opportunities.

I really thought Fialkov would have stuck around a bit longer since his Ultimates work was generally well-received.
    Last edited by Ceebiro; 06-30-2015 at 06:03 AM.

BMB hanging in their isn't good news as he's severely lacking in quality.
    He's not just hanging on, they've given him Invincible Ironman who is apparently the center of the All-new Marvel Universe as well as his continued work on Miles Morales and Guardians of the Galaxy. I'm sorry but he's still going strong right now.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

BANNED

In a year or so, one of the newer writers will hit it big with a run and then in a few years folks will be saying it's the end of Marvel Comics because so-and-so is leaving.