[QUOTE=Jon Clark;1339477]
Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post

Both Mizoguchi and Davidovich are however reluctantly going along with the plan. The story doesn't paint the sergeant as going a bit over the line, he is obviously in the wrong. This isn't a "Het someone in this crowd threw a brick at me and I thought the crowd was about to explode" situation. Unless these guys are incredibly dense they know what is happening is way beyond legal. The fact Davidovich doesn't take his tear gas gun and leave or that Mizoguchi isn't coming physically to Superman's defense makes them accomplices to what happens.

And while this whole thing might not have official backing, but if not why isn't Lee's radio call getting ANY attention from someone with the authority to tell Binghamton to stand down? And why is Jim Gordon apparently under the impression that Superman slugged a cop, rather than Superman dealt with a psycho hiding behind a badge? Seems to me Metropolis PD must have backed Bingham enough that Gordon can believe that Superman is in the wrong here.
Fun fact is, this is exactly what he ends up doing. He gets punched in the face for his trouble. But the thing is, he's been trying to argue with the Sergeant from the very beginning. So really, he's only "going along with it" in the sense that he was there (and frankly, what good would him leaving do, appart from getting him fired?). He's been trying to prevent the situation from happening since the moment we first see him. So "going along with the plan" nothing.
Also, it's obvious that the Sergeant is looking for a reason to start acting against the riot. That's the whole point of him beating up Superman for instance. He's trying to antagonize him so he will fight back, giving him an excuse for charging in. It kinda does imply that he's somewhat worried of having to justify his actions to his superiors.
Now, you could argue that it's stereotypical because such an excuse would never fly considering how he's pretty much antagonizing the riot, but franly, when a cop can shoot a black kid and not face legal repercutions, despite video shootage showing that the encounter with said black kid didn't happen the way he pretended it did, that really doesn't sound like much of an argument to me. Especially when the issue we're discussing is perceived as an analogy of the protests that happened because of it.
As for Lee not getting a response....I don't know what copy you got, but in mine, the radio we hear Lee's call from gets smashed litterally the panel after she makes said call. So I have no idea how you can tell what kind of answer she got.
Finally, you know what else you have in Batman/Superman 22? Superman stating that Binghamton wasn't just a cop and that Superman stood WITH the police in an undescribed event that presumably happened right after. Doesn't sound like something a writer with an anti cop agenda would write. Also, in Batman/Superman 21, you see Mizoguchi, and now he's a sergeant himself (when he was taking orders from one before). So my guess is that Gordon's partial understanding of the situation comes less from the MPD backing Binghamton, and more from it trying to keep the whole thing under wraps to avoid a bad rap, giving promotions to the officers who stood against the orders in the process (possibly in the hopes that it will keep them silent).