Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    BANNED

*sighs* Raven and 'elegance' don't even belong in the same sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I like the Kris Anka retooling of the Raven outfit that keeps the basic look of the classic and adds some layers and feather-y textures.

"Kris’s Raven notes: When I think of Raven, “dark elegance” is what always comes to mind. With all her costumes, the “dark” is always apparent, but I felt there’s been a lack of “elegance” of late, and that’s what I sought to bring back. I also tried to incorporate as many design elements I could from an actual Raven. The tail inspired the shape of the cape, the wings inspired her shoulders, and I added actual feathers onto her, etc. I’ve never thought of her as a mobile character, so I chose to go a more “fashion route.”'
    I like this design a lot. It's a lot like her classic costume but with a few great tweaks. I love how the cloak looks like it has feathers around her neck and the sleeves look like bird wings almost. I also love the big earrings.

I'm a fan of Raven's New 52 costume but the only thing I would change is to make the sky blue color more of a navy.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

BANNED

I like the Kris Anka retooling of the Raven outfit that keeps the basic look of the classic and adds some layers and feather-y textures.

"Kris’s Raven notes: When I think of Raven, “dark elegance” is what always comes to mind. With all her costumes, the “dark” is always apparent, but I felt there’s been a lack of “elegance” of late, and that’s what I sought to bring back. I also tried to incorporate as many design elements I could from an actual Raven. The tail inspired the shape of the cape, the wings inspired her shoulders, and I added actual feathers onto her, etc. I’ve never thought of her as a mobile character, so I chose to go a more “fashion route.”'
    That is quite good and his reasoning is very sound. Raven is a magi/mystic character, she is the sort of character that could wear an impractical outfit and not look silly for it (like putting Wonder Woman or Batgirl in high heels).

Found some other redesigns... probably more problematic to draw panel after panel (not by the same guy):

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

Was Kris Anka's design just a one-shot piece or is this an actual design for Raven in a comic series?
    I would be interested in reading a comic that featured this look for Raven. She looks older wearing an updated fashion-influenced version of her classic costume. The wings and feathers reflect her "Raven" namesake, as in the bird.

I look forward to seeing images of Marv Wolfman's upcoming Raven miniseries, which I think is coming out this January after a quick google search.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
    Was Kris Anka's design just a one-shot piece or is this an actual design for Raven in a comic series?
    I would be interested in reading a comic that featured this look for Raven. She looks older wearing an updated fashion-influenced version of her classic costume. The wings and feathers reflect her "Raven" namesake, as in the bird.
    It was a one-shot redesign project for a column about female costumes.
    Raven fared better than some others who just got put in sweatsuits...
    http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...redesign-stat/

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

It was a one-shot redesign project for a column about female costumes.
    Raven fared better than some others who just got put in sweatsuits...
    http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...redesign-stat/
    Oh, that was an interesting look at some redesigns. Besides Raven, the only ones I really liked were Kris Anka's Harley Quinn and Meredith McClaren's Chesire.

Everything else looked more or less similar to the other redesigns. I really like McClaren's work on her Hinges webcomic and Dark Horse's Heart in a Box miniseries, so it was interesting to see her versions of some of these Marvel and DC characters.

I would read a Cheshire comic with art by Meredith McClaren, especially if it featured Roy Harper. Cheshire was one of my favorite characters in the Young Justice cartoon.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    *sighs* Raven and 'elegance' don't even belong in the same sentence.

I actually disagree with this...based on Wolfman/Pérez incarnation and design, she certainly was not inelegant or such. Her iconic costume was designed with the cloak and cowl, which can be taken off to showcase her in a somewhat stylish gown. She was portrayed as shy and possibly somewhat awkward in social settings, but the word 'elegance' would indeed fit her petite and lithe frame.

She has never to my knowledge been portrayed as the opposite of elegance...now, if we apply fashion elegance towards Rocafort's version of Raven, then I actually would agree with the statement above...😁

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by orionblue View Post
    I actually disagree with this...based on Wolfman/Pérez incarnation and design, she certainly was not inelegant or such. Her iconic costume was designed with the cloak and cowl, which can be taken off to showcase her in a somewhat stylish gown. She was portrayed as shy and possibly somewhat awkward in social settings, but the word 'elegance' would indeed fit her petite and lithe frame.

She has never to my knowledge been portrayed as the opposite of elegance...now, if we apply fashion elegance towards Rocafort's version of Raven, then I actually would agree with the statement above...��
    Yeah, I dont get the perception that Raven is supposed to be 'inelegant' either. As you quite rightly said; while social confidence wasn't her forte, she was designed as having a elegant frame and costume.

If she had been designed to be all-goth all the time, like say Nico Minoru or Black Alice, then I would agree. But the fact is that Raven having a preference for anykind of metal music is something only the latest writer added.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    If she had been designed to be all-goth all the time, like say Nico Minoru or Black Alice, then I would agree. But the fact is that Raven having a preference for anykind of metal music is something only the latest writer added.

This actually brings up an interesting thought - as with all comics characters, when a different writer or editor puts his/her spin on a character...to 're-purpose' the character to 'modern' times, over the years, which version would be considered the epitome of the character? I hope that made sense...

For me, the Raven I consider to be the iconic and better version is the Wolfman/Pérez incarnation - the shy and conflicted character who battled her inner demon while trying to find her place in the world as a good human - the Raven who did not care what others would think as she went to comfort and heal a strung out runaway prostitute...Others will have their favourite versions, but for me this will be the Raven that all other versions should aspire to, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by orionblue View Post
    For me, the Raven I consider to be the iconic and better version is the Wolfman/Pérez incarnation - the shy and conflicted character who battled her inner demon while trying to find her place in the world as a good human - the Raven who did not care what others would think as she went to comfort and heal a strung out runaway prostitute...Others will have their favourite versions, but for me this will be the Raven that all other versions should aspire to, imho.
    This is basically my Raven too. She tried to do the right thinks because that was how she was taught by the temple of Azarath and learned to be independent with the Titans but she also never forgot that she was a half-demon too.

I hope Marv Wolfman make Raven awesome again, right now she's pretty much a background character in a book that focuses on Red Robin, Superboy and Wonder Girl. If her mini-series was successful then I hope it will be transition into a monthly series, she needs a new costume first and a brand new storyline also a better personality to make her relatable again.

What do you guys think of Raven leading a team of kid superheroes with villain parents? I'm thinking a team similar to Marvel's Runaways. I don't normally advocate ripping off other ideas from other companies but I think this would be interesting.

With the cover for the Titans Hunt announcement, could this mean a redesign for Raven is coming? I was expecting it for Wolfman's book, but here she is is standing next to the New 52 designed characters wearing something closer to her classic look. It's Convergence-related, so who knows.

Waaaay better and more fitting Raven than the New 52 Costume .

No offense meant to those who liked her New 52 costume .

I think that's mainly the artist passive-aggressively saying, "The current Raven costume is stupid and I'm not drawing that". They didn't draw Dick's N52 Robin suit either.