View Poll Results: Who Is Your Favourite Canadian Character Aside From Wolverine, Deadpool And Sabretoothe?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Guardian (James Hudson)

7 14.00%
  • Vindicator (Heather Hudson)

2 4.00%
  • Northstar

16 32.00%
  • Aurora

5 10.00%
  • Sasquatch

8 16.00%
  • Puck

12 24.00%
  • Shaman

2 4.00%
  • Wendigo

2 4.00%
  • Graviton

3 6.00%
  • Madison Jeffries

7 14.00%
  • Wild Child

0 0%
  • Silver Fox

2 4.00%
  • Marrina

2 4.00%
  • Snowbird

11 22.00%
  • Other

2 4.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Celine Dion is my favorite Canadian character.

If I can't choose her and Wolverine, then I'd go for Justin Bieber!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Celine Dion is my favorite Canadian character.

If I can't choose her and Wolverine, then I'd go for Justin Bieber!

BURN THE WITCH!!!

Sasquatch and Vindicator

I don't think anyone will pick Wildchild lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lutecius View Post
    I feel the opposite. I loved her sweet personality turning badass on occasions, her romance with Namor and her alien backstory (even if it has been milked to death now). I found Punk Marrina rather annoying.
    Marrina's been through a lot, and I think the new personality could have worked if the effort had been put in to explain her motivations as opposed to relegating it to one throwaway line. Taking a character from point A to point B with only a handwave can be hard to swallow, and Marrina pretty much went from point A to point Z!

But I too preferred her old personality. I agree with the AF v4 writers that she needed to move out her status as a perpetual victim, but I don't agree with the implication that having a sweet and kind personality is what made her one. Nor do I think that positioning her as a future internet meme hopeful in and of itself made her any more interesting. Moot point, I suppose. I don't see Alpha Flight getting another book any time soon.

this guy wins by a mile, even if you include Wolverine, Sabretooth and Deadpool.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

I have to say I'm surprised by the popularity of Puck.

Here's my favourite pic of Alpha Flight to help celebrate Canada Day.

Alpha Flight.jpg

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Glad this poll was "multiple." I don't think I could have chosen one from Mac-less classic Alpha Flight (he's the only one I never cared for).

But I preferred the new Marrina. I really don't like female characters like her old personality.

As I recall, after his resurrection, Puck was rather... devilish, as well.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 07-01-2015 at 10:04 AM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

BANNED

As expected, NOrthstar is leading the poll.

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

Box is one of my favorite mutants and I never knew he was Canadian. That makes Madison Jeffries my second favorite Canadian character after Logan, the OG Wolverine!

Sasquatch.

A while back I started reading all of Alpha Flight for the first time for a blog I'd started: Kyle Reads Alpha Flight. I didn't stick with the blog, but I did keep on reading the book, and despite the fact that he's kind of a self-important, WASPy, low rent Hank McCoy, I really like Sasquatch. If I had one complaint about the Pak/Van Lente series, it's that Walter was kinda sidelines through the whole thing.

Runners-up:
    - Northstar
    - Purple Girl
    - Nemesis

When I was a kid, I had a bunch of Marvel trading cards, and one of them was Nemesis. Literally everything I knew about her was that she had an awesome costume and carried a sword with a blade that was one atom thick, and that was cool enough to elevate her to a top five character for my twelve year-old self.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PiercedMonk View Post
    Sasquatch.

A while back I started reading all of Alpha Flight for the first time for a blog I'd started: Kyle Reads Alpha Flight. I didn't stick with the blog, but I did keep on reading the book, and despite the fact that he's kind of a self-important, WASPy, low rent Hank McCoy, I really like Sasquatch. If I had one complaint about the Pak/Van Lente series, it's that Walter was kinda sidelines through the whole thing.

Runners-up:
    - Northstar
    - Purple Girl
    - Nemesis

When I was a kid, I had a bunch of Marvel trading cards, and one of them was Nemesis. Literally everything I knew about her was that she had an awesome costume and carried a sword with a blade that was one atom thick, and that was cool enough to elevate her to a top five character for my twelve year-old self.
    There wasn't enough space on the poll and when I thought about it later I realized most of the characters that didn't make it onto the poll are female; Purple Girl AKA Persuasion, Nemesis, Diamond Lil, Talisman, Transonic. I should've put Diamond Lil or Nemesis on the list instead of Wild Child, but I thought I should include more than just heroes and specifically members of Alpha Flight so I put Wild Child, Graviton and Wendigo on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    There wasn't enough space on the poll and when I thought about it later I realized most of the characters that didn't make it onto the poll are female; Purple Girl AKA Persuasion, Nemesis, Diamond Lil, Talisman, Transonic. I should've put Diamond Lil or Nemesis on the list instead of Wild Child, but I thought I should include more than just heroes and specifically members of Alpha Flight so I put Wild Child, Graviton and Wendigo on the list.
    I didn't even think of Transonic! Generally speaking, I really like characters who are kinda uptight and not interested in being superheroes, yet still do the right thing when it suddenly becomes necessary. Man, the "Lights" got shuffled off to comic book limbo PDQ even by teen X-Men standards.

Of course, Transonic probably has more total appearances than Nemesis, but she didn't have an awesome trading card in 1993.

I didn't even think of Transonic! Generally speaking, I really like characters who are kinda uptight and not interested in being superheroes, yet still do the right thing when it suddenly becomes necessary.
    That's a big part of Northstar's appeal for me, tbh. He has his own life and success outside of the spandex squads. He has a lot to lose by doing the superhero thing and he's not particularly shy about letting it be known that he resents that intrusion...but he always winds up choosing the hero option in the end (though sometimes with more coaxing than others ).

What did you think about Sasquatch being dumbed down in his bestial form, btw? I wasn't a fan. I thought it played too close that whole "Alpha Flight are just the Canadian Avengers" joke by making him even more Hulk like.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    That's a big part of Northstar's appeal for me, tbh. He has his own life and success outside of the spandex squads. He has a lot to lose by doing the superhero thing and he's not particularly shy about letting it be known that he resents that intrusion...but he always winds up choosing the hero option in the end (though sometimes with more coaxing than others ).
    What I like about Northstar is that he's a very specific type of jackass that I find really compelling.

I will never stop wanting a book that's just about Northstar, Quicksilver, and Namor sharing a loft apartment and being annoyed any time circumstances force them to do something selfless.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    What did you think about Sasquatch being dumbed down in his bestial form, btw? I wasn't a fan. I thought it played too close that whole "Alpha Flight are just the Canadian Avengers" joke by making him even more Hulk like.
    That kinda change just makes me think that the writer doesn't have any idea what to do with the character, so they make some arbitrary change in an attempt to mix things up, but never actually follow through with an interesting story. See also: Warren Worthington III

I suppose the same accusation could be leveled at the Wanda Langowski period when he inhabited Snowbird's body and his human form was a woman, but I felt like the stories during that period actually explored the idea in an interesting way.

That kinda change just makes me think that the writer doesn't have any idea what to do with the character, so they make some arbitrary change in an attempt to mix things up, but never actually follow through with an interesting story. See also: Warren Worthington III

I suppose the same accusation could be leveled at the Wanda Langowski period when he inhabited Snowbird's body and his human form was a woman, but I felt like the stories during that period actually explored the idea in an interesting way.
    At least with his stint as Wanda, it felt less like a gimmick and more like there being actual consequences for doing an end run around death. Hey, great! You're back with the living, but don't think you're just going to pick your old life up where you left off. I also thought it would have been interesting if part of the consequence of inhabiting the body of a demigod had been more of Walter/Wanda also being saddled with Snowbird's imperative to stand against the Great Beasts.

By contrast, the whole "Sasquatch smash!" thing felt like change with no real purpose behind it, just altering the character to fit the played out archetype of the transformed brute.