Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Tess Fowler & Tamra Bonvillain Join "Rat Queens" as New Art Team

Following the departure of artist Stjepan Sejic, Tess Fowler and Tamra Bonvillain will join writer Kurtis J. Wiebe on fan-favorite series "Rat Queens."

Full article here.

BANNED

Over under on how long until the next artist?

Poor Kurtis Wiebe and all of this bad luck with the artists (and curse Roc Upchurch who was so brilliant on the first issues for mucking it all up). Sorry to see Stjepan go but curious to see what Tess & Tamra bring to the book. Quite honestly, it was Upchurch's art that initially drew me to the book. His loss and all of the subsequent delays have dampened my enthusiasm for it a bit. But definitely gonna give it one more arc because I do enjoy the characters and their relationships. Hopefully it will get back on track in August.
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers

No Roc, No Buy

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

It's too bad Roc Upchurch's talent couldn't be downloaded and placed in someone who didn't beat up his ex.

I thought Sejic was a pretty good replacement, but I thought he was leaving because he and his wife were going exclusive with Top Cow, not because of health reasons.

I hope this book gets its feet back under it soon. Its release schedule for the coming months looks like it was done by a crazy person.

BANNED

Lol it release schedule has always looked bonkers.

Jeez, people really have no patience or sympathy at all. Making comics is such an insanely thankless job. Wiebe is a talented writer with such a fantastic product and book and has experienced situation after situation yet he still manages to push this book out for his readers and fans. Life happens and delays will happen and when you're working an indie book, you don't have all the benefits and money like the Marvel and DC books to really get these books out the way they do. So much happens behind the scenes, it's really unfair all the crap Wiebe and this book gets with all the hissy fits when in the end he's still churning out such an amazing book that continues to be one of the best high quality books out today.

People really need to assess things.

Wiebe and team, continue to do what you have to do. I'll continue to support and be a fan.

Will continue to support for now, but did not like Fowler's art on the Braga one-shot. I hope her style is tweaked a bit for the main book. Really hope things work out as this was one of my favorite series under both Upchurch and Stejic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    It's too bad Roc Upchurch's talent couldn't be downloaded and placed in someone who didn't beat up his ex.

I thought Sejic was a pretty good replacement, but I thought he was leaving because he and his wife were going exclusive with Top Cow, not because of health reasons.

I hope this book gets its feet back under it soon. Its release schedule for the coming months looks like it was done by a crazy person.
    Tell me about it. I mean her character designs look fine for the most part but Her Dee is too tall in my book. She is not a head taller then Hannah.

Fun-Eating Devil The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

Good for Tess Fowler, but this is getting almost like Big Numbers here...

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post

i have my freedom under top cow to take on projects from others as long as i get their stuff done.

this was a case of me having a thyroid problem which i, being a complete idiot at times, tried to walk off...

suffice to say it din't work and now for the first time in 12 years i will take august off...a month without making a comic...

this will be weird

I don;t even care who does the art at this point, just put out a book and I'll read it. Love RQ.
    Controversial opinion, don't take my head off: I didn't like Roc's art so much. I thought the Queen's could've been a little sexier, and Sejic's little changes made all the characters look great IMO. I am still upset we never got to really see what his Betty would've looked like. I made a big stink in the RQ thread about Betty's absence and was promised a Betty filled next issue, but half the reason I was hyped was to see Sejic's take on her. Any chance he ever posted a picture of how she would've looked?

All my best wishes to the new artists. The last artist hung out in the RQ thread with us. If the new artists are reading this *hint* *hint* come in here and join us. I liked getting the behind the scenes scoop on how RQ comes together.

BANNED

Eh I thought the characters looked real under Roc. Ie not all thin and super sexy

There's a preview of the first Fowler/Bonvillain issue up on the Shadowline blog.

The book's had a lot of turnover, but at least all the artists look to be bringing their full talent to the table. When the Big Two do their bait-and-switch routine, it always looks rushed.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 07-02-2015 at 05:56 AM.

BANNED

Perhaps sadly though in my book the art quality continues to decline.