Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: We Stand on Guard, #1

"We Stand on Guard" #1 introduces us to the 22nd century war between Canada and the United States and, while Brian K. Vaughan's story is interesting, it's Steve Skroce's art that will have readers begging for more.

Full review here.

This was good. I'm definitely going to keep reading it. Anybody know anything official on the length? I've heard ongoing and mini/limited series. If it's the latter, anybody know the planned number of issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2Staples View Post
    This was good. I'm definitely going to keep reading it. Anybody know anything official on the length? I've heard ongoing and mini/limited series. If it's the latter, anybody know the planned number of issues?
    I think it was either 6/8..

Quote Originally Posted by ysemaj View Post
    I think it was either 6/8..
    Someone had posted in one of the talkback threads for Image's monthly solicits a couple of months ago that it was 5. Which irked me to no end because Image has not said if this is a mini or an ongoing. And if it is a mini, I was going to wait for the trade. It hasn't been made clear how many issues it's supposed to run. Regardless, I'm picking up issue #1 today and taking a chance this will run a somewhat decent number of issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Someone had posted in one of the talkback threads for Image's monthly solicits a couple of months ago that it was 5. Which irked me to no end because Image has not said if this is a mini or an ongoing. And if it is a mini, I was going to wait for the trade. It hasn't been made clear how many issues it's supposed to run. Regardless, I'm picking up issue #1 today and taking a chance this will run a somewhat decent number of issues.
    My guess is that if Image hasn't said it's an ongoing, then it will be a mini, so that's why I am waiting for the trade.
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)

Incredible Member

Vaughan has been crystal clear in interviews that this is a 6-issue mini. He has, however, also said that this is a book that might be revisited after it ends.

I, for one, am liking this trend whereby Image is putting out more mini-series.

Amazing Member

I'd pick up #1 today but, you know, it's Canada Day so all the LCBS are closed.

This was... interesting. Not as immediately engaging as Y:TLM or Saga, but the concepts carry enough weight to make you want to read more to see where it goes.
    Is it just me, or did this seem very inspired by Jonathan Hickman? It felt more like his dialogue than classic hammy BKV, and I was getting a lot of East Of West vibes from the story and art.

Great read. The opening scene was fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyOne View Post
    I'd pick up #1 today but, you know, it's Canada Day so all the LCBS are closed.
    Mine in Calgary was open.

Pretty damn good start I must say.

I was pretty excited when I saw BKV had a new series(preview in Descender?) and he didn't let down. The artist was new to me but I thought it looked excellent.
    Of course, I dare. I'm Hal Jordan.

I thought this was a well-done comic with no real significant flaws, but I didn't really enjoy it. None of the characters hooked me and the whole thing was kind of depressing. I love Saga and The Private Eye because they balance the violence and tragedy with healthy doses of humor, fun, fashion, meta commentary, etc. This was just a real downer to read. Skroce's art was a perfect fit for the story but visually did not really excite me at all, it's not really what I like out of comics art.

I doubt I'll be back, but that's more due to personal preference than the quality of the work here.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    I thought this was a well-done comic with no real significant flaws, but I didn't really enjoy it. None of the characters hooked me and the whole thing was kind of depressing. I love Saga and The Private Eye because they balance the violence and tragedy with healthy doses of humor, fun, fashion, meta commentary, etc. This was just a real downer to read. Skroce's art was a perfect fit for the story but visually did not really excite me at all, it's not really what I like out of comics art.

I doubt I'll be back, but that's more due to personal preference than the quality of the work here.
    It was a little depressing at times but then again I suppose that's part of war. I did however get a chuckle at the whole "Superman's a mother fucking Canadian" bit.

anyone know what that guy was saying in French?