Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Francis Manapul Leaves "Detective Comics"

The artist and writer announced via Twitter his departure from the Batman title but promises "big projects" lined up.

Full article here.

The art was great but the writing could have been so much better...

I think we all knew this was coming. Glad I didn't buy last issue.
    Favorites: Batman, Superman, All-New Wolverine, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Doom Patrol

Had to do a double take when CBR's Breaking News featured a comic book story and not a movie casting.

I'm not suprised, it must have been weird going from total control in Flash to Snyder's world in Detective Comics

I wonder if his next "big project" is something DC related? I'd love it if he came back to Flash but somehow I don't see that happening .

Disappointed to see him leave. Reception to his and Buccellato's 'Tec run seems mixed here, but I personally quite enjoyed it. I liked their approach to the stories and the art was spectacular each issue, which is to be expected from Manapul .

I'll wait and see who the new creative team on 'Tec is before I decide whether to keep with it.
    Last edited by Frontier; 07-01-2015 at 04:45 PM.

I'm not really sure what they should do with Detective. It will obviously still sell regardless of what they do because of the brand name, but the stories haven't really been that interesting, especially when it has to take a backseat to what Synder's Batman is doing. Maybe have it focus on someone like Batwoman for a while like they did in the past?

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Well, if anyone deserves some creator-owned success right now, it's Francis Manapul. He pretty much grew up before our eyes, challenging himself and developing from a workable, yet interesting artist to someone who provides spectacular visual storytelling every issue. I hope his audience follows him wherever he goes. I know I'll be keeping an eye out for his future work.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I'm not really sure what they should do with Detective. It will obviously still sell regardless of what they do because of the brand name, but the stories haven't really been that interesting, especially when it has to take a backseat to what Synder's Batman is doing.
    Ooooh, I dunno. These last couple of issues have been pretty much in Synder's back pocket, and I'd say they were the strongest yet - basically a Harvey Bullock title with Guest Stars. And that's something I never thought I wanted until I got it.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Well, he posted a drawing of Shazam to Twitter which seems awfully random. Make of it what you will

The Claw of Justice!

I really liked his and Buccellato's run on Detective, in both writing and art. I look forward to his future work.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    Well, he posted a drawing of Shazam to Twitter which seems awfully random. Make of it what you will
    Ooooh.

Now that's a character his style would be pretty dazzling for.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    Don't play with my heart like this.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Ooooh, I dunno. These last couple of issues have been pretty much in Synder's back pocket, and I'd say they were the strongest yet - basically a Harvey Bullock title with Guest Stars. And that's something I never thought I wanted until I got it.
    Art has been great, but I don't know, I just didn't fine Bullock interesting enough to carry a run for me at least.

I am going to miss this run. I liked that Detective Comics was finally about a real detective and his interactions with Batman, the fake yet superior detective.