Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default One Nation , Under Bo & Luke Duke.

If you been living under a rock the last couple weeks you may have noticed that a few big things came down the pike. One of them was the Supreme Court pretty much made June 26th , 2015 NATIONAL REPUBLICAN CRY DAY and the other one involved the confederate flag. Yes folks , the classic STARS AND BARS of the south. A flag that hangs mostly on a lotta old pickups when they go down the highway.

The confederate flag has a long history and its not so good. I admit that much. Its not the best thing to have hanging in a state house like South Carolina has I know. Its pretty bad I admit and shouldn't be the type of deal that is thrown in peoples faces given the negative history. Wal-Mart and others have removed selling the flag and Warner Bros will no longer sell toy cars of the General Lee with the flag on there.

But today , today things went....pretty damn crazy.

The Dukes of Hazzard is about 2 cousins , Bo & Luke Duke who drive the 1969 Dodge Charger around and haul moonshine. They are good ole boys who run the moonshine for their uncle Jesse Duke and his daughter Daisy. At no point is racism at all involved in the comedy series. In fact the show is more action comedy with car chases and the General Lee jumping shit. (Weirdly there is like ...a lot of un-built bridges in Hazzard County...go figure)

The ones who could complain would be politicians or police since the show paints one local politician as corrupt in Boss Hogg and the other being an inept group of law enforcement. Hell as a kid I thought all cops was like Roscoe P Coltran and would go on wacky car chases and lose. But in no point was there any racism in this near 40 year old show.

So today's move by TV Land stunned ...well EVERYONE. They have cancelled the reruns of the show in a move likely connected to the flag on the car. But what is funny is a move meant to appease people have likely united them against this. Quite a number of black people have posted they watched the show and found nothing wrong. It was weird seeing posts like that and one joked , "Hey its 40 years....too late if the car was a problem !"

Why a show 40 years old is suddenly a hot bed of controversy is beyond me. Did people suddenly turn on the Dukes of Hazzard and suddenly were like....LOOK AT THOSE RACIST BASTARDS DRIVING THAT CAR !

But hell the car was basically a prop for it again to jump shit. Hell even ole Waylon Jennings here as the balladeer will sum up the show in its intro.

If the flag on top of the car was the issue , couldn't you just blur the image ? The WWE blurs all WWF marks from earlier videos. That would be my suggestion obviously.

The biggest loss of this is a whole generation may not discover the greatness of Roscoe P. Coltran or the beautiful Daisy .

DEAR LORD TV LAND.....WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ?!!
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Good lord that woman was beautiful back then. The whole "Daisy Dukes" thing was because of this harmless tv show.

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

The thought that they were "Daisy Dukes" came later. At the time, those were just cut-offs and that's how everyone wore them.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Laughable decision.
    What were they smoking when they came up with this?

Meh. I'm not too upset that a show that I havent seen since I was a kid has been yanked off some obscure tv network. Oh noes where will I go to see rednecks jumping over creaks in a bright orange charger to avoid local law enforcement?

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

It's still on CMT, Country Music Television.

It's possible TV Land just wants to put on something else. They only have so many hours for so many reruns

There are some people who see the show as racist because it was about a county in Georgia where there were no Black people. The only Black character I remember from the show was the sheriff of the neighboring county. He usually had a scowl on his face and never had any actual lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    There are some people who see the show as racist because it was about a county in Georgia where there were no Black people. The only Black character I remember from the show was the sheriff of the neighboring county. He usually had a scowl on his face and never had any actual lines.
    There was a few episodes where black people did show up. My mind is hazy but I do remember 2 tough black guys came through Hazzard and they were like....this is the dumbest ran place ever. It was comical for the fact that they clearly was way , way smarter as criminals than Boss Hogg and Roscoe P. Coltrane.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    My mind is hazy but I do remember 2 tough black guys came through Hazzard and they were like....this is the dumbest ran place ever. It was comical for the fact that they clearly was way , way smarter as criminals than Boss Hogg and Roscoe P. Coltrane.
    I was thinkin' the same thing. Some kind of like anti-Dukes story.
    Sorta like that episode of Heroes where Claire and Peter were bad guys and Syler was a square.

Thing about the South is if you don't live there or visit it's kind of difficult to grasp how backward some parts are. To this day there are more than a couple confederate decals in the form of statues and markers throughout. The push to take that god damned thing down from the statehouse has been going on for decades, it's not a new fight. A taxpaying citizen of any of those counties shouldn't have to walk under that relic to get to the statehouse for any business. My heart will somehow still go on if I never saw another ep of DoH ever again, still though there are bigger fish to fry than purging the top of the general lee.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    Good lord that woman was beautiful back then. The whole "Daisy Dukes" thing was because of this harmless tv show.
    I can't say I was a huge fan of the show back then, but Catherine Bach was easily the number one reason why I watched when I did.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    I can't say I was a huge fan of the show back then, but Catherine Bach was easily the number one reason why I watched when I did.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    There was a few episodes where black people did show up. My mind is hazy but I do remember 2 tough black guys came through Hazzard and they were like....this is the dumbest ran place ever. It was comical for the fact that they clearly was way , way smarter as criminals than Boss Hogg and Roscoe P. Coltrane.
    I vaguely remember that episode. I also remember how they would often have country music stars perform at the end of an episode, and one time they did have country music token Charley Pride. As with all the other country stars, the premise was that Boss Hogg had a speed trap and the country star would have to perform at Boss Hogg's roadhouse as payment for the speeding ticket.

All that said, the sheriff of Chickasaw County was the only Black character I remember seeing more than once on the show.

Jessie was not Daisy's father. They were all three kids of his different sibblings https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daisy_Duke

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

Hence "Uncle" Jessie.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Hence "Uncle" Jessie.
    See I always thought she was his daughter and that the Duke Boys called him Uncle Jessie....as did everyone else. My memory was bad on that.