Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Controversy Surrounds Suydam at Montreal Comiccon's Artist Alley

Alleged table-space stealing and appropriation this weekend by Arthur Suydam led to Twitter outrage from the comics community and creators.

Full article here.

BANNED

What a douche. I hope the organizers didn't charge them for the tables.

No lie: I felt totally awkward just reading about the confrontation (or lack thereof) between Manapul and Suydam. What strange behavior!

Zombie Commando

"When we arrived for set up on Thursday, there was a snafu with the table setups for ALL the artists. In order to correct the problem, everyone was moved."
    - Witterstaetter

No artist I spoke with, and myself included, seems to have had any problems with table assignments, except for those who have been displaced by Suydam. I don't know what she means by this.

BANNED

This must be one of the only industries where trashy people A, aren't the common denominator and B, get blasted on major industry news outlets for being douches. God bless comics.

Amazing Member

When I see Renee with an artist I want to meet (like Mike Zeck)......I just have to skip them. Sorry but she is a goof

ZiaComics

I was contacted by Renee to book Arthur for our local comic con. Originally she said he requires 4 booths. I told her that was not possible. We negotiated it down to 2 booths on an end cap. I drew up a contract and had him sign it. He also agreed to do an exclusive piece of art for us to use for the events guide, flyers, and posters. A few weeks after getting the signed contract, Renee emailed and told me Alamo City Con booked him without his knowledge and had already purchased his airline tickets (I don't believe a convention would buy tickets without confirming an artist's attendance). She basically told me he felt obligated to go since they already put money out for him. It didn't seem to matter to her/him that I had a signed contract with him. I had to scramble, but I ended up with a much better artist. I was gonna keep it to myself and chalk it up as just one of the problems of putting on a convention until I read about Arthur's boorish behavior in Montreal. I think everyone should know his unprofessional actions aren't reserved solely for fellow artists. His word/signature is worthless.

BANNED

There's always that one guy or gal at work, and it's sort of refreshing/depressing to see that extends to the comics industry as well. Shouldn't be surprised, but I get the feeling (or at least hope) you wouldn't see this wide level of vitriol from some pretty big name creators on public social media if this was the extent of it. Can't blame the agent, it's their job to be jerks if necessary to get their clients what they need. But in a business that seems to rely pretty heavily on who you know this was definitely a bad move (or the latest in a series of them) on Suydam's part.

The photoshopped long lines at his table add a whole extra layer of craziness to the situation. Check out this breakdown I came across!

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

If enough people complain about something comic related, eventually Mark Waid will join in and start threatening to get indignant.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTALITY View Post
    The photoshopped long lines at his table add a whole extra layer of craziness to the situation. Check out this breakdown I came across!
    This is all kinds of bizarre. Is it done to justify why he "deserves" four booths and the other artists don't? Ugh.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 07-05-2015 at 10:41 PM.

dingleberry96

Arthur Suydam has always been an absolute twat and egomaniac. The best is when he came to Salt Lake Comic Con. He DEMANDED that he be the very first comic creator listed on the website as a guest because as he put it "he is the most significant and influential creator to work in comics in the last 40 years." That's right, he was demanding to be placed above Stan Lee, Bob Layton, Peter David, Neal Adams, and a whole bunch of others who were at the same show.

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

While I like his stuff, where does he get that he's all that significant or influential? I've always thought of him as a Heavy Metal-ish (the magazine) Bernie Wrightson knock-off.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    If enough people complain about something comic related, eventually Mark Waid will join in and start threatening to get indignant.
    Ah ha ha!

I went to BCC two years ago, where Larry's Comics, a local Mass based business had a large setup. I walked right up to Larry himself and mentioned the recent feud he and Mark Waid had on twitter in regard to digital over print comics. It clearly made his skin crawl. Then last year, Waid was a guest, and I mentioned meeting Larry and bringing it up, which also made HIS skin crawl.

Basically, Mark Waid will hold a mother f'n grudge like no ones business. But he is, in my estimation, the best writer currently in comics and has strong, valid opinions, and loves the medium more than anyone. And when he says something, he means it. Suydam better watch his ass.

Slickyz

I was there all weekend. It was so weird to see Suydam at his table after all this came to light, not a care in the world. You could hear other artists around the floor talk about it, was kinda funny come sunday. By the way, Jim Zub is probably the nicest comic creator I ever met, chats it up about upcoming projects and always a welcoming attitude to everyone.