• NEW Avengers

22 23.66%
  • Avengers WORLD

0 0%
  • Avengers

7 7.53%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Rate the Avengers Comics

Which is your favourite to least favourite and why?
    My fan fiction:

The Outstanding, a fan fic Universe where Marvel characters and stories are reshaped, revised and retold. Check it out!

The Ultimate Flash, where I take inspiration from classic Silver-Age Comics of Barry Allen and the new CW TV Show to give an old character a new spin! Click here to read!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away the Marvel and Star Wars Universe combine! Check out Marvel: Star Wars' first family, the Fantastic Four! Read it here!

New closely followed by Secret. My least favorite is Uncanny

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Mighty Avengers all the way!

Avengers on the other hand can just go away.

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy

New closely followed by Secret. My least favorite is Uncanny
    What is about "New" that you enjoy? And you dislike "Uncanny"? I reckon Remender's been doing alright on that one, at least, he opened quite strongly.
    My fan fiction:

The Outstanding, a fan fic Universe where Marvel characters and stories are reshaped, revised and retold. Check it out!

The Ultimate Flash, where I take inspiration from classic Silver-Age Comics of Barry Allen and the new CW TV Show to give an old character a new spin! Click here to read!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away the Marvel and Star Wars Universe combine! Check out Marvel: Star Wars' first family, the Fantastic Four! Read it here!

Mighty, then Secret. Then I care little for the rest. Avengers is too impersonal, New is too cynical, Uncanny is too grimdark, Undercover is a follow-up to a concept that offended me, and World is a half-assed attempt at providing the characterization that the main book lacks, without realizing that good characterization tends to be sustained.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    World is a half-assed attempt at providing the characterization that the main book lacks, without realizing that good characterization tends to be sustained.
    Bingo! That's problem I have been having with Avengers World.

So "Mighty" is the way to go! What makes it better?
    My fan fiction:

Fantastic Member Jumpoff AKA JohnnyBlazed's Avatar

Mighty edges out Uncanny just barley for me, but they're both great books.

Quote Originally Posted by xMatt View Post
    I like it more than most because the characters are great in it, it's funny but still has a sense of maturity to it, and it's more straightforward superhero action. It was my favorite Marvel title that came out last year.

I think New is the most original and the best written, by far. It's my favorite, followed by the other half of Hickman's mega story in adjectiveless Avengers.

Uncanny is solid, and gives me a dose of some x-characters and x-stories without having to follow the tangle that those books have become.

Avengers World is decent, and has had a couple of strong issues, but all in all doesn't feel like it's establishing much that we didn't already know about the characters. The multiple threats all at once story is cool, but this book was supposed to deliver character work, and ironically, I don't really feel it's accomplished anything more on that end than Avengers already has.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Bingo! That's problem I have been having with Avengers World.
    Yeah. World was launched as the book where the characterization happens. But it's really not. What Hickman and Spencer should've done is taken 6-8 characters, and made the book about those specific characters. Don't just spotlight a different character every month - spotlight a group of characters every single month. Show how Starbrand is fitting into the Avengers, how Cannonball and Smasher's relationship is developing, how awkward Sunspot feels as a fifth wheel with those two, how difficult Hyperion finds it to relate to the other Avengers.

Oh, also, the book should've revealed who the LGBT character is already. Let the character out of the damned closet.

But yeah, "characterization" goes beyond just a 22-page story followed by them becoming wallpaper. It requires follow-up, a sustained focus on the character. Shang-Chi's been falling from Madripoor for 4 issues now - that's not a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by xMatt View Post
    Like InformationGeek said, it's fun, plenty of humour a sense of optimism, excellent characterization. It is, unfortunately, cursed with the hackery of Greg Land on pencils. Which means faces are traced, poses are static, layouts are bland, and the storytelling ends up being carried almost entirely through the writing. Luckily, Ewing's writing is excellent, and it does manage to carry the storytelling on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post

Like InformationGeek said, it's fun, plenty of humour a sense of optimism, excellent characterization. It is, unfortunately, cursed with the hackery of Greg Land on pencils. Which means faces are traced, poses are static, layouts are bland, and the storytelling ends up being carried almost entirely through the writing. Luckily, Ewing's writing is excellent, and it does manage to carry the storytelling on its own.
    Imagine if it weren't, how good would it be, right?
    My fan fiction:

New Avengers, though recently it dropped in quality.

Avengers Undercover, the only Avengers series I currently read. Tired New, Mighty and Uncanny, dropped all three.

Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-24-2014 at 04:04 AM.

Avengers Undercover. I'm behind, but it's great.

Avengers second. Going to try out Secret soon but have heard good things about that. Avengers World was meh, and Uncanny was good but I had to drop it due to budget problems. Am waay behind on New Avengers, and have only read #1 of Mighty.