Page 248 of 314 FirstFirst ... 148198238244245246247248249250251252258298 ... LastLast
Results 3,706 to 3,720 of 4704

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    To be perfectly honest I thought the Scarlet Witch solo was garbage. We got Wada’s fantastic costume redesign and the art was beautiful but the story was crap. Wanda’s new origin as a generic witch is dull and boring, and Robinson seemed to think that Wanda can’t be independent and have her relationships explored simultaneously; and her relationships are some of the most interesting aspects of her character. The retcon absolutely hurt her, but I’d say it hurt Pietro more.

Can’t wait for it to be undone.
    I agree with you in regard to the Scarlet Witch solo. The core idea of her development and independence could only be gained through... well.

I stopped reading it after awhile, because in the end I decided the whole thing was ok'ed in the first place to both further sell the retcon and divide Wanda and Pietro with Fox now the only one using Pietro.

In the end I think the series suffered and died a very premature death because in effect it was ordered in no small part with the goal of trying to make very unpopular directives popular.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    I agree with you in regard to the Scarlet Witch solo. The core idea of her development and independence could only be gained through... well.

I stopped reading it after awhile, because in the end I decided the whole thing was ok'ed in the first place to both further sell the retcon and divide Wanda and Pietro with Fox now the only one using Pietro.

In the end I think the series suffered and died a very premature death because in effect it was ordered in no small part with the goal of trying to make very unpopular directives popular.

Is that how they ended or did they reunite in Uncanny Avengers acting super nice and cuddly again?

retcon

Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

I have waited for this day for years. Finally, this ridiculous retcon can be cast aside, and the family reunited. Maybe even learn to get along, and stop trying to kill each other. Character development even! Perhaps even a movie featuring the House of M in Genosha.

I'm still in cautiously optimistic mode. But there's a lot more optimism than there was a month ago.

The Magnus Family Reunion is coming soon. I am so excited for some quality time with Magneto, Polaris, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, and all the rest of the family members since Disney is all about the families!!!!! Lorna and Wanda are already princesses, and sisters - Disney is going to be all over that.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    The Magnus Family Reunion is coming soon. I am so excited for some quality time with Magneto, Polaris, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, and all the rest of the family members since Disney is all about the families!!!!! Lorna and Wanda are already princesses, and sisters - Disney is going to be all over that.
    Yes, I thought about that as well. The princess angle predated there being a MCU and sold to the masses.

But, yah all four come with prepackaged fan bases and it’s hard to not see the interest Disney might take.
    Last edited by jmc247; 12-17-2017 at 02:31 PM.

I like that jmc! Disney has it easy - the family is ready for some fun development! Magnus Family is the royal family of the X-Men. All families are more interesting with tension, some humor, and they all have a look that is instantly recognizable and popular. They don't need to create anything. The characters just need to be brought together - reunited now.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    I like that jmc! Disney has it easy - the family is ready for some fun development! Magnus Family is the royal family of the X-Men. All families are more interesting with tension, some humor, and they all have a look that is instantly recognizable and popular. They don't need to create anything. The characters just need to be brought together - reunited now.
    Yes, its not so much reinventing the wheel, its putting the wheel back together which can be done without nearly the difficulty of building the wheel from scratch as the pieces of the wheel are all still there. The old comics and popular animated TV shows are still there as is a huge amount of fan interest.

To be perfectly honest I thought the Scarlet Witch solo was garbage. We got Wada’s fantastic costume redesign and the art was beautiful but the story was crap. Wanda’s new origin as a generic witch is dull and boring, and Robinson seemed to think that Wanda can’t be independent and have her relationships explored simultaneously; and her relationships are some of the most interesting aspects of her character. The retcon absolutely hurt her, but I’d say it hurt Pietro more.

I've run into people who think the solo following the witch aspects of Wanda were a mistake, and I have to say that's where they're wrong. The witch aspects of the character are perfectly viable and could lead to great things. However, the solo had various other problems that undercut that potential.

The Axis forced retcon severed Wanda's ties to Magneto and Lorna. As a Lorna fan, I can say that instantly killed any reason I had to read it. There's no point if I'm not going to learn things about Wanda that feed into her interacting with Lorna. Second to that, the Axis forced retcon turned the Scarlet Witch solo into a referendum on the retcon itself. Solo succeeds, it sends the message that the retcon was just fine, encourages Marvel to keep it and possibly do worse things elsewhere with other characters. The art, though great, also probably didn't help for drawing in casual fans because it was probably perceived as too "artsy" compared to other books. Like the difference between a summer blockbuster and an art house film.

Then there's Marvel's marketing efforts. It understandably sounds stupid to say Marvel tried too hard to push the solo onto people. Yet, to some extent it may be true. There's a point at which marketing efforts can flip from "we just really really want people to read this book" to "we will keep this book going despite lack of interest and shove it in your face until you read it and like it." I believe Marvel reached that point along the way.

It also didn't help that they hypocritically treated the Scarlet Witch solo and its sales much differently than other books like All-New X-Factor and Mockingbird. What Marvel considered sales low enough to cancel ANXF and Mockingbird in less than a year, they considered acceptable to keep the SW solo going for over a year. And that's with Marvel giving the SW solo much, much more promotion than they gave ANXF (which was none) and Mockingbird. In fact, Marvel's hypocrisy on this count has fueled me saying Polaris should get a solo, because if they can bear low sales despite heavy promotion for over a year for a Scarlet Witch solo that uses none of her relationships, then there's no reason they can't give Lorna a fair shot too.

So, Wanda has potential with the witch stuff. It's just that Marvel did all sorts of things wrong that killed the book.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    Is that how they ended or did they reunite in Uncanny Avengers acting super nice and cuddly again?
    They made up and loved each other again in Scarlet Witch #14 five issues later. Quicksilver in Scarlet Witch #9 is on his absolute worst behavior. When she tells him to go away and never come back, it is that awful Steve Englehardt-like characterization that needs to go away. When Pietro comes back in later he is nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by teapartyofthedead View Post
    I have waited for this day for years. Finally, this ridiculous retcon can be cast aside, and the family reunited. Maybe even learn to get along, and stop trying to kill each other. Character development even! Perhaps even a movie featuring the House of M in Genosha.
    Learn to get along? That is quite the uphill climb. Though it would be fun to watch them try again.
    Last edited by jmc247; 12-17-2017 at 03:53 PM.

is that it how I feeling with it, Wanda´s new origin was lazy, his relationships with other characters are interesting but the solo only made in isolate she, she ended up being hurt and too Pietro

piuyt.jpg
    this is part freaking me out

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    They made up and loved each other again in Scarlet Witch #14 five issues later. Quicksilver in Scarlet Witch #9 is on his absolute worst behavior. When she tells him to go away and never come back, it is that awful Steve Englehardt-like characterization that needs to go away. When Pietro comes back in later he is nicer.
    please, tell me how but HOW after Wanda say "sociopath" a his own bro twin literally hurt him, they has "happy reunion" again with one scene like that? don't have any sense
    they did not talk again then #9, any... and in the #14 They are so happy and kind to see they again.

literally, it is how say Pietro accepted own "sociopath" condicion and "male manipulator brother" and say a his sister: -you are right, I am madness and bad person in you life, sorry sis, forgive me-

the characterization was nasty, for both
    Last edited by SSminos; 12-17-2017 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SSminos View Post
    this is part freaking me out
    The artist did a good job though. At that moment on his face he looks like he would much rather Polaris or Magneto's typical way of showing their unhappiness with him. Sometimes words can cut deeper then anything else.