Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Nobody has stated anything negative about Terra here. As long as that remains the case, I have no objections.
    That post seemed rather negative towards the version of Terra the O.P liked. Also, saying this "isn't an appreciation thread" seems like an odd thing to say in an appreciation thread.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    That post seemed rather negative towards the version of Terra the O.P liked. Also, saying this "isn't an appreciation thread" seems like an odd thing to say in an appreciation thread.
    Just rechecked that post. He doesn't say anything negative in regard to the later versions, only that (paraphrasing) it's kind of hard to say the original take isn't the right one (which I happen to agree with, FWIW). Having said that, I don't want this thread to become a flame war over this.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Nobody has stated anything negative about Terra here. As long as that remains the case, I have no objections.
    Thank you. I wasn't saying anything bad or negative about the character. I was responding to the OP's opening claim that this was an appreciation thread for Terra, which in my opinion he or she then flatly contradicted by the end of their first paragraph by challenging and dismissing who and what kind of character Tara Markov is, was, and was always meant to be, in favor of their own preferred interpretation. In fact, the first several posts in this thread consist largely of posters dismissing in-canon revelations about the various characters to use the Terra name because those revelations contradict their own personal preferred versions of who and what Tara Markov.

If that's the kind of discussion they want to have, they should be open about that, in my opinion. But I also think that any appreciation thread about a character or anything else should first and foremost be about the character as they are actually presented, and not how people wish they were presented.

(To be fair, I only relatively recently, say in the years since the Brad Meltzer-penned Final Crisis special featuring Geo-Force going after Deathstroke was published, learned about the "I refuse to accept that Tara Markov was actually evil even though her creators say she was!" fans. But as Lee Stone said above, Marv and George's story caught the fans as well as the characters by surprise regarding Terra's true nature. Possibly too much by surprise, as apparently they invested too much into the false front Terra was putting forth, and Wolfman & Perez's refusal to backtrack possibly was seen as a violation of many such fans' personal or moral beliefs.)

Edited to add: I just saw the last few messages after I posted this, and while I don't want to make a flamewar out of this (and not just out of respect for The Darknight Detective), I'll just add this, and hopefully bow out for good. But by reading the first few posts, I got the impression that the OP was more interested in discussing a headcanon version of Terra than he or she was in discussing the actual Terra. That's an interesting discussion to have for many, I'm sure, even if I disagree with it. But normally, I can just stay out of that discussion. But starting an appreciation thread for Terra, only to make it clear that it's really about the OP's headcanon version of Terra and not the actual in-canon Terra, was something I found...at the very least, disingenuous. And I felt I needed to point that out. Okay, I'll try to stay out of it.
    Last edited by Timber Wolf-By-Night; 06-08-2017 at 03:47 PM.