Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 243031323334

Let's bring it back to...

Wonder Woman's EVER MORE COMPLICATED romantic interests. Shall we?

Javier

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    I won't comment anymore because is offtopic, but it's pretty obvious where he is going with his run

You mean a true friendship with Lois vs earthquake sex with Wonder Woman?

You know.... I know that they're breaking up... I know he's eventually going to be with Lois as they are building to what was current canon.

But please.. PLEASE can they not have SUPERMAN be the one that has to figure it out and cut it off with Wonder Woman? That would just make her character and all she's supposed to stand for mean something. I swear if Wonder Woman has to be the one that's told by Superman why they can't be together and she isn't figuring it out herself(when during this entire arc has been about Clark and him being her entire physical world) then it's only going to ruin Wondy's maturity even more -_- She came INTO the trinity being the most mature of the 3... I'm not buying this 'Superman' the way they've built being the one that figures out why the relationship doesn't work or if he's the one that winds up giving Wonder Woman the "talk" about true power that she was and is famous for giving him.

I know I'm speculating.. but if they go that route it's only gonna hurt Wonder Woman..once again -_- CAN THEY JUST FIGURE OUT HOW TO WRITE HER FFS!!

/endrant

Just FYI, bringing things back on track with the old continuity is not the aim. Wonder Woman's title, for instance, isn't going to eventually come around to where her continuity was at before the relaunch. The direction her character goes, along with everyone else, isn't being outright planned to sync up with anything there was before.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post
    And if the arbitrary demands of the masses lean toward the unreasonable, then what? Because ultimately Supes and Wondy aren't doing anything wrong.
    I agree, but I could name quite a number go things that people can do which are not "wrong" but which have results which are both predictable and tragic.

Ultimately the only benchmark by which superheroes judge their action is the welfare of those they are sworn to protect.

Many might talk about fairness, but the definition of heroes is that set aside the idea of what is in the personal interest in favour of the well being of others.

Which is exactly why Steve was fired from his JL post (however misguided the decision).

Of course even heroes can't be heroes 24 hours a day.
    Last edited by brettc1; 06-28-2014 at 01:43 AM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    I agree, but I could name quite a number go things that people can do which are not "wrong" but which have results which are both predictable and tragic.
    I doubt anyone could come up with an accurate real world analogy to something like this.

Ultimately the only benchmark by which superheroes judge their action is the welfare of those they are sworn to protect.
    But the issue isn't about the safety of the masses, it's about catering to their feelings.

Many might talk about fairness, but the definition of heroes is that set aside the idea of what is in the personal interest in favour of the well being of others.

Which is exactly why Steve was fired from his JL post (however misguided the decision).

Of course even heroes can't be heroes 24 hours a day.
    Except this isn't about the well being of others, it's about trying to extract trust from people neck deep in paranoia. These are the same people that save the world. Repeatedly.

Extraordinary Member

I doubt anyone could come up with an accurate real world analogy to something like this.
    To this specific relationship? Perhaps not.

But the issue isn't about the safety of the masses, it's about catering to their feelings.

...this isn't about the well being of others, it's about trying to extract trust from people neck deep in paranoia. These are the same people that save the world. Repeatedly.
    Except, of course, when Lex Luthor does

If people are paranoid about the current batch of DC heroes, you can hardly blame them, based on the way the heroes themselves are sometimes written. In the very most recent issue of JL we have Barry himself chastising Diana's statement about decapitating Luthor and calling her attitude, in so many words, barbaric.

The complication to Diana's lovelife that Johns seems most enamored with is that it is repeatedly a source of provocation with which to test her hair-trigger temper and dubious self control.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

If people are paranoid about the current batch of DC heroes, you can hardly blame them, based on the way the heroes themselves are sometimes written. In the very most recent issue of JL we have Barry himself chastising Diana's statement about decapitating Luthor and calling her attitude, in so many words, barbaric.

The complication to Diana's lovelife that Johns seems most enamored with is that it is repeatedly a source of provocation with which to test her hair-trigger temper and dubious self control.
    That's exactly the issue. Geoff Johns has been deliberately writing DC's greatest heroes as a bunch of idiots who have brought all their woes from the world upon themselves. Diana is easily his worst victim.

If Johns were writing SM/WW? Even I wouldn't be reading it. Seriously. I wouldn't have even tried the first issue. Johns' writing of Diana for the last three years has completely disgusted me now. I don't know how long it will be before I'll go near one of his books ever again.

So, that's why I believe it's important to put the blame where it belongs. Johns is the guy responsible for MOST of our grievances about Diana. Azz doesn't write her as a barbarian. Soule doesn't. God help me, even Lobdell didn't write her that way.

If Johns didn't have the exalted position he has right now? And if he just let the other writers do their thing? We'd probably have a lot less to complain about with Diana in general and even this relationship in specific.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

To this specific relationship? Perhaps not.

Except, of course, when Lex Luthor does

Oooooooooooh yes I can.

Because nobody actually has to lift a finger for these ungrateful masses. Let whatever villain take over and watch how quickly folks start signing a different tune.

They've been spoiled and they don't even realize it.

Johns is writing everyone in the JL as an idiot. But besides that i quite like his hero Lex. We've seen him as a mad scientist, a corrupt businessman, a combination of the two, so why not a hero, even for a short while? Who knows, maybe the actual heroes will learn something. In any case, years and decades go by and the comics status quo stays about the same, so if you take a step back, comics are kind of repetitive. The Joker escapes and batman breaks his teeth and puts him back in Arkham. *yawn*

So these small breaks from status quo are to be cherished. I liked the Joker as Oberon Sexton and i like hero Lex. Not barbaric WW though.

Oooooooooooh yes I can.

Because nobody actually has to lift a finger for these ungrateful masses. Let whatever villain take over and watch how quickly folks start signing a different tune.

They've been spoiled and they don't even realize it.
    That's not very heroic. That's what the Autobots did in the third movie.
    "You dont like us? We'll leave. See how you like it when the Decepticons level Chicago and Cybertron comes through a warmhole."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    That's not very heroic. That's what the Autobots did in the third movie.
    "You dont like us? We'll leave. See how you like it when the Decepticons level Chicago and Cybertron comes through a warmhole."
    The human's wanted them gone and then got exactly what they wanted, the Autobots warned them about the Decepticons but sometimes folks have to learn the hard way so... let them learn.

I'd pay good money to see an elseworld where the Justice League just sits back eating popcorn until the world begs them for help. Just as a change of pace from the usual complaints about property damage or whatever else.

I'm not saying the main universe heroes should actually do this, but the people have seriously lost perspective when Superman banging Wonder Woman makes them afraid.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Just FYI, bringing things back on track with the old continuity is not the aim. Wonder Woman's title, for instance, isn't going to eventually come around to where her continuity was at before the relaunch. The direction her character goes, along with everyone else, isn't being outright planned to sync up with anything there was before.
    It's relative, WW can't be made of clay anymore. But is very clear that some properties are coming back to old status quo in a different way, wally west, helena bertinelli. DC seems to be having a different approach or at least johns that seems to be the superman head writer.

You mean a true friendship with Lois vs earthquake sex with Wonder Woman?
    and people don't know why many doesn't ship smww
    Last edited by Blacksun; 06-28-2014 at 05:31 PM.