Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Maybe because he's nursing a bat-crush on Diana.
    Eh. Maybe.

But I don't really see a lot of evidence in that page. Let's just say I really hope you're all reading too much into it.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post

if by lame you mean, the best the character had after kirby and Simonson yeah...
    Not really saying much since Kirby and Simonson the only ones that didn't totally butcher him.

At best, New 52 Orion is maybe a slight notch above Starlin's frothing Wolverine on steroids.
    Last edited by Kid A; 05-28-2014 at 03:27 PM.

Talking about who's in love with Diana always seemed to urk my nerve for some reason. If she's in one, that should be it, all this close possible love stuff is really demeaning in my opinion. I don't like what it says about other suitors, and I don't like that writers make Diana even entertain the idea. Pre-Reboot, Diana was as much a avatar of love as she was war, to me such a being, does not inter romantic affairs easily, and when they do, they are in it 100% to the exclusion to all others. to quote one of my favorite wise old game characters, "Love is ultimately selfish, it demands that one be devoted to a single person. Who may full occupy ones mind and heart to the exclusion of all else." while that is a little much, and would surely send chills of terror through the minds and hearts our modern day America (the society to which i was born), it does in my opinion hold up the act of love as something lofty to aspire to, not just some passing desire to conquer new territory, or obtain a greater prize.

If Diana is in love with Superman and he in turn is in love with her, and they are together then no writer unless told otherwise should even hint at a third person staring in. To use myself as a example, when Jessica Biel was single she was one of the most desirable women in the world in my mind, but the moment she got with Justin Timberlake, that woman became just another pretty face, and after marriage she might as well have been invisible. That is how I see it I know, and I can't paint my views on others fictional or otherwise, but it seems like such an unnecessary device for creating unwanted drama, especially in our comics. I read some of the Batman WW team up that is being brought up, but I wasn't all that interested in the story so its possible i missed some key hints as to Batman's hidden desire, but a part of me feels like if that were the case, it stems from his status as DC's top hero, and thus should have its top paramour as his girlfriend and that's always wrong.
    And now I finally arrived.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Not really saying much since Kirby and Simonson the only ones that didn't totally butcher him.

At best, New 52 Orion is maybe a slight notch above Starlin's frothing Wolverine on steroids.

I thought Morrison's portrayal of Orion during his JLA run from around a decade ago was pretty awesome.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I thought Morrison's portrayal of Orion during his JLA run from around a decade ago was pretty awesome.
    Morrison's a lot like JAck Kirby, except he can't draw and likes slow artists.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dshipp17 View Post
    It's hard to believe that you can't make a logical connection; you can't see how being constantly turned down can lead to his despising someone? Tell me, from your perspective, how would he be acting in the alternative? Just curious how you see this situation with Dr. Psycho. As far as I've read, Dr. Psycho hasn't raped or killed numerous people; I can't find it anywhere in publication.
    I can understand how being 'constantly turned down" by women he met could have led to his despising all women. That kind of reaction happens, thought it's not right; to despise a whole group based on the actions of a few is stereotyping, prejudice and bigotry--and, in this case, misogyny. Rejections may explain the causation of his misogyny, but they don't make it not misogyny.

Marston's introduction to the first issue in which Dr. Psycho appeared makes clear that he's a misogynist:

"Who is the devious Dr. Psycho? Known wherever his evil genius strikes as the man with a thousand faces, this monster abhors women: with weird cunning and dark, forbidden knowledge of the occult, Dr. Psycho prepares to the change the independent status of modern American women back to the days of the sultans and slave markets, clanking chains and abject captivity.

But the sly and subtle psycho reckons without Wonder Woman! Accepting the mad doctor's challenge, the lovely Amazon girl fights to stop a persecution of her fair sex which threatens even the alluring cohorts of Aphrodite with shameful shackles and menaces the entire earth with perpetual punishment."

Anyone who "abhors women" and wants to bring about their enslavement and persecution on a national scale is a misogynist. Dr. Psycho, according to his creator, "abhors women" and wants to bring about their persecution and enslavement on a national scale. Dr. Psycho, according to his creator, is a misogynist. Q.E.D.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 05-28-2014 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Okay, I've finally seen a scan of the page we're all talking about, and really? People are getting that Batman is IN LOVE with Diana from him saying "We've known each other for a long time?"

How does that come across as a profession of love? He said he can connect to Diana through her lasso because he'd known her a long time. He has, indeed, known Diana for about five years. Unless it was officially stated that ONLY someone who is in love with Diana can connect with her through the lasso, then I'm looking squarely at this cigar........and yep! That is just a cigar.
    Well, I'm not saying he's outright in love with her. There's many things that qualify as a strong emotional tie. But its just Selina's reaction, and J'onn's "You know as well as I do why you can do this", that has got me thinking its a romantic subtext, you know? Johns is not really subtle with these kinds of things.

So, the way I'm reading it now, Johns wrote this page with it in his head that Batman digs her to some degree. How much? Why? What does he want to do with this? Those are all things I don't know. My strong hope is that whatever his intentions might have been though it just ends up something dropped, lol. But if we're not that lucky, what I would anticipate is some contrived wedge between Superman and Batman over this. What I don't anticipate is Diana reciprocating in anyway. I've said it before though but the first hint of Johns trying to lay any kind of foundation for that in JL will have me dropping the title like a hot potato. I'm already barely hanging on with the Lex idea.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-28-2014 at 05:05 PM.

Okay, I've finally seen a scan of the page we're all talking about, and really? People are getting that Batman is IN LOVE with Diana from him saying "We've known each other for a long time?"

How does that come across as a profession of love? He said he can connect to Diana through her lasso because he'd known her a long time. He has, indeed, known Diana for about five years. Unless it was officially stated that ONLY someone who is in love with Diana can connect with her through the lasso, then I'm looking squarely at this cigar........and yep! That is just a cigar.
    In a lot of things I've seen a "strong emotional connection" with two people generally implies love, and Catwoman's reaction just made it more obvious. It wasn't really subtle to me or anything, I just hope I'm wrong or if I'm not, that they don't actually go anywhere with this, relationship-wise, just have it be a crush for like one issue or drop it completely .

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Step View Post
    In a lot of things I've seen a "strong emotional connection" with two people generally implies love, and Catwoman's reaction just made it more obvious. It wasn't really subtle to me or anything, I just hope I'm wrong or if I'm not, that they don't actually go anywhere with this, relationship-wise, just have it be a crush for like one issue or drop it completely .
    Yeah. If it's real, I hope it just ends up being Batman having an unrequited crush on Diana.

Heck, if Diana can follow Bruce around like a lovesick puppy and practically hump his leg in the JL cartoon? Turnabout is fair play.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post

well Kirby created him, and Simonson was the best creator to deal with 4th world. maybe the character that is awful lol

I didn't read Morrison JLA, I saw panels from Waid that Orion was basically a angry dog.that doesn't seem like a good characterization for me.

well makes sense Orion be full of hormones, but let's ignore all background, motivation that gave him a more 3dimensional characterization than most of times he was in a comic

breaking news, one more character added:

BoxGUotIQAIkxSw.jpg

Yeah. If it's real, I hope it just ends up being Batman having an unrequited crush on Diana.

Heck, if Diana can follow Bruce around like a lovesick puppy and practically hump his leg in the JL cartoon? Turnabout is fair play.
    JLU Diana wasn't a lovesick puppy for Bruce, she was the male part that was seducing the girl.

If Bruce has a unrequited love for diana, oh really DC? if you guys don't want bmww fans money you guys can't please not tease it?

I really hope they will develop it, the problem is who will develop
    Last edited by Blacksun; 05-28-2014 at 06:55 PM.

During trinity war, when Superman was under the influence of the box, he felt jealous of batman and WW and assaulted the former. So there must be some history there.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    During trinity war, when Superman was under the influence of the box, he felt jealous of batman and WW and assaulted the former. So there must be some history there.
    also under doomsday influence superman said that batman was jealous of them. definately there is something...

Well under the Box's influence Steve Trevor wants Superman dead so...unless he planned to kill Superman before or is planning to kill Superman...I don't see that there has to be any history. And if there is, Diana is not nursing any flame. Fact she's downright indifferent. I saw more feelings from Lana for Clark as an ex. Steve for Diana. I saw no a flicker of anything of Diana for Batman other than two allies working together. She had more stuff with Hal than Bruce. If someone said Hal tried to get her out on a date, I'd believe that. I would also believe Diana turned him down. There is evidence for that ,not her and Batman. It is left field and if it is one sided, it makes Bruce a bit of a sicko spying on her and Superman as they make out. Guy is so in love he's stalking WW and watch her and her new man get intimate? Not sure how that is any better to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Well, neither were she and Super an until Justice League #12.

Sort of adds a new perspective to the panel where he first sees them kissing in Smallville in JL#14, doesn't it?

Not to mention the batarang through the electronic billboard in SM/WW.
    Yeah but Supes wasn't sleeping with Lois periodically was he while so in love with Diana? Batman and Catwoman have something going on there and it is sexual as well. Clark was attracted yes, but the emotional connection for Diana back then would not be the same as when he and she started to actually date and really get to know each other. Right now I would say Clark would be the equivalent to Steve in terms of the depth of their feelings. Before he kissed her he would be like any of the other members...possible aware of her beauty and on some level like any man admire her and care deeply for her because she is an ally he has been in life and death situations. I wouldn't call that love like the love he feels for her now. There are other forms of the emotion... attraction, infatuation, and you don't even have to know someone well to have that.

The new perspective Yikes, Bruce is a creeper. And what is he up to?
    Last edited by hellacre; 05-28-2014 at 08:48 PM.

Only problem with that scenario is that it completely betrays the characterizations of Batman and Wonder Woman to this point. I mean, he could write it in if he wanted to, but it would be blatantly contrived, poor writing to do so.

With that said though these examples don't have to mean a history. For the first, in a narrative like this it could easily have just been foreshadowing that Superman sensed something from Batman in regards to how he feels about Diana (still a fail in my book, because again there is no evidence otherwise from Batman to support this in anyone's writings, even Johns' own). In regards to the most recent SM/WW issue, Superman doesn't claim Batman is jealous of him, he just claims he's jealous in general. The context there seems to be more encompassing, from being jealous of the two of them for having one another, to being jealous of their abilities ("spends all that time, all that money trying to be just like us")
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-28-2014 at 08:57 PM.