Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

This seems to be what Slott was referring to.

http://douglasernstblog.com/2012/05/...ave-6-billion/

You posted a link to the guy's site.
    I pulled an image off of Google, not looking from where and not knowing it was going to give a certain someone an apoplectic fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Technically, fans don't need the next issues of a story.

I'm pretty sure most readers will accept that comics don't rank at the top of their hierarchy of needs. If it does, they likely have a serious need for professional help.

But Slott's point would remain. It would just be differently phrased (IE- Give the fans what they don't know that they want.)
    Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    they’re two ways to phrase more or less the same thing. though, i like the latter more.

either way, you should never write by request.
    Need makes the statement too authoritative for my taste.

Sorry, Frank Luntz ruined the English language for me.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    Much appreciated.

And since I'm sitting in that chair-- and my editor is sitting in his-- between the two of, we better believe that we know what's best for Spidey. Believing that is a core requirement of the job. Would you rather have Spidey Writers and Editors who didn't care? Who didn't believe that they were doing what was best for the character?
    Of course not.. It seems so glaringly obvious to me, but that point is seemingly lost on some posters. It's like when professional athletes are accused of being arrogant or overly confident. They HAVE to be confident. Imagine Brady dropping back, thinking "Man, I'm definitely going to throw an interception" or Curry putting up a three and thinking "Airball". It's ridiculous.

Even more ridiculous: when Angry Fan accuses creators of "thinking they know best" or, even better, "pushing their agenda"... and then proceeds to post their 37th essay on "How Spidey Should Be More Like He Was When I Was Twelve". They are doing the EXACT same thing that they are accusing the creator of doing. Well, not exact, because the poster lacks professional experience, talent, and the support and backing of a multi-national, multi-million dollar corporation...

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Eh, I still stand that one writer having a character is better than many.

Poor Rachel is great in some books while others she's butchered by a writer that just didn't seem to care or even want to use her character.

Agreed. That is often better indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    Of course not.. It seems so glaringly obvious to me, but that point is seemingly lost on some posters. It's like when professional athletes are accused of being arrogant or overly confident. They HAVE to be confident. Imagine Brady dropping back, thinking "Man, I'm definitely going to throw an interception" or Curry putting up a three and thinking "Airball". It's ridiculous.

Even more ridiculous: when Angry Fan accuses creators of "thinking they know best" or, even better, "pushing their agenda"... and then proceeds to post their 37th essay on "How Spidey Should Be More Like He Was When I Was Twelve". They are doing the EXACT same thing that they are accusing the creator of doing. Well, not exact, because the poster lacks professional experience, talent, and the support and backing of a multi-national, multi-million dollar corporation...
    Arrogance and confidence are two very different expression.

BANNED

Too many cooks....

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Poor Rachel is great in some books while others she's butchered by a writer that just didn't seem to care or even want to use her character.
    Sounds familiar...

Incredible Member

Is Dan Slott hogging Peter Parker / Spider-Man?

I have actually never read a Dan Slott Spider-Man book (but plan to start with the relaunch), so maybe I'm not the best person to ask, but do realize that Dan Slott, as a work-for-hire writer at Marvel, can't just go to Marvel and say "I am writing Spider-Man." Marvel has a say in that decision as well. In fact, it's likely that Marvel asked Dan Slott to continue writing it. So no, Dan Slott isn't hogging Peter Parker. He is accepting paid work from Marvel to do whatever Marvel says.

If both Marvel and Dan Slott think it's a good thing to continue with Slott as a writer for ASM, I can't see any problems with it either. Personally, I'd be more interested in some creator owned, original work by Slott than continue to read his Spider-Man, though.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    Arrogance and confidence are two very different expression.
    True, sometimes. I think it's much more often the perception and bias of the observer that puts someone's actions into the former category, though. To go back to sports, as a Ravens fan, I felt like Ray Lewis had supreme confidence. He led by example and demanded the same excellence of himself that he demanded from teammates. It's no coincidence that I found Hines Ward of the Steelers to be insufferable and arrogant. I like Ray Lewis, so he's confident, and I don't like Hines Ward, so he's arrogant.

For me, it boils down to what Slott said: confidence and self-belief are integral parts of the job description. If some people find those traits to be arrogant, that's fine. It doesn't have anything to do with the product, anyway. It's usually just used as a rallying cry by critics to get more people on their "side".

BANNED

Reminds me of an old saying, "Nobody's gonna promote you but you"

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    I pulled an image off of Google, not looking from where and not knowing it was going to give a certain someone an apoplectic fit.
    Well, Congratulations, Mr. Ernst certainly appears to be a Fan of yours.

http://douglasernstblog.com/2015/07/...reenshots-now-

I spent a couple of hours reading Mr Ernst's Blog. I hope he appreciates the hits.

Personally, I feel this is a pretty scary guy. I sure as Hell would not want someone like that as a neighbor. And I can not imagine that I would accept or support a version of Spider-Man that conformed to Mr. Ernst's Fearful, Violent, Hate filled Ideology.
    Life is the algorithm through which Goddess explores the infinite possibilities of Her own existence.

I wanna be your lover... emac1790's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Spider View Post
    Well, Congratulations, Mr. Ernst certainly appears to be a Fan of yours.

http://douglasernstblog.com/2015/07/...reenshots-now-

I spent a couple of hours reading Mr Ernst's Blog. I hope he appreciates the hits.

Personally, I feel this is a pretty scary guy. I sure as Hell would not want someone like that as a neighbor. And I can not imagine that I would accept or support a version of Spider-Man that conformed to Mr. Ernst's Fearful, Violent, Hate filled Ideology.
    Here's a comment from zariusii off of that site, (I have AdBlock so, I don't give a damn about his site hits)

Contrast that to CBR, where he knows he has no filter, has favoritism from the mods, has seasoned trolls like Cyberhubbs, Prof Warren, Jimishim etc echoing his attitudes with similar bait and snark, and he just goes nuts, pointing out his sales sucess but doing so in a cattier manner, telling people to “stop” forming their own opinions on how they see the book going (he apparently has never heard of “death of the author”, where as Spider-Gwen’s author Jason Latoure HAS and actually ENCOURAGES it) and of course tries to character assassinate the people who have given his books a chance for eight years running and frequently come out of the experience as dissatisfied customers. People like Mike (aka Stillanerd) are the audience Dan dreads will steadily multiply, as they are, so he tries to shop around trying to recruit as many new readers as possible before they become the “cranky vets” who see through the sheer shock of the new and see and now expect the same old song.

Hmmm. Isn't that odd. Cheesedique posts a picture from that site here and now that site is speaking about this thread.

and also this...

Douglas Ernst
    July 5, 2015 at 1:58 pm
    Thanks for taking the time read and comment, Cheesedique. There was a part of me that wanted to register and comment on CBR yesterday, but years ago it was made clear that tactfully defending myself when Dan Slott throws personal attacks my way was somehow off limits. I wanted to find a way to digitally shake your hand, so your comment allows me to do so now. Again, good stuff.

It was a sheer pleasure to watch someone a.) dismantle Dan Slott’s run on ASM in a clear and concise way, and b.) call him out on his diversionary tactics.

I’m surprised his buddy Mr. Mets didn’t find an excuse to step in and stop the beat-down. Anyone who can expose Dan Slott’s giant logical fallacy smoke screen gets three cheers in my book.
    What U putting in your nose?
    Is that where all your money goes (Is that where your money goes)
    The river of addiction flows
    U think it's hot, but there won't be no water
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

BANNED

Yeah, that's right. It's all a vast, shadowy network of online posters operating to undermine Dan Slott.

We're through the looking glass here, people.