Page 5 of 139 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

I agree with you trev, he is not officially a Nova. His power derives from his gear not instilled in him.

Sam has displayed a lot of immaturity and through 10 issues there was a lot of reasons to not like him. Plus he runs around with a deadly cosmic weapon like it was his own personal toy, hes lucky a lot of folks didnt get hurt in the process. I think Duggans recent BRB arc hammered this home..yet he is shown with some admirable traits as well, like in New Warriors when he returns to help SS , that tell us maybe a good Nova is in there.

Sam is a decent kid, but his young age concerns me. Even in the BRB arc, when he unloads on Skaarn all he can think of us the bully back home..this was a negative to me that shows hes not ready.

Lets also recall Rich Rider was depowered and stripped of his Nova status fillowing Nova vol 1..He acted as an unofficial and unsanctioned Nova for years before the corps caught up with him..he also spent a lot of time making mistakes himself.

I think Sam needs to be depowered by worldmind to more akin to Rich Rider vol 1 levels..hes too powerful and too young for the cosmic theater he needs to hang out with the warriors and fight sea urchin and megaman.

Overall , though I am starting to see potential in Sam. I think he will make a welcome addition to the Corps when marvel gets there act together and brings it back.

Btw the term Kid Nova is not bad..Sams younger than Rich..hes only 15! Thats a baby..

Rich's nova suits for much of NW vol 1 were not official corps gear, he was not in contact with the corps till later in vol 1. Night Thrasher actually built many of these suits.

However, Rich Rider was just such a great character. I do hope he comes back soon. Personally, killing Rich off is one of my least favorite moves in marvel comics history.
    Last edited by THANOSRULES; 05-06-2014 at 05:02 AM.

Btw the fact the Black Nova s use helmets with the nova force intrigues me..i wonder if this has anything to do with the fact the Nova force was shown to be harmful long term to Rider?

Quote Originally Posted by THANOSRULES View Post
    I agree with you trev, he is not officially a Nova. His power derives from his gear not instilled in him.

Sam has displayed a lot of immaturity and through 10 issues there was a lot of reasons to not like him. Plus he runs around with a deadly cosmic weapon like it was his own personal toy, hes lucky a lot of folks didnt get hurt in the process. I think Duggans recent BRB arc hammered this home..yet he is shown with some admirable traits as well, like in New Warriors when he returns to help SS , that tell us maybe a good Nova is in there.

Sam is a decent kid, but his young age concerns me. Even in the BRB arc, when he unloads on Skaarn all he can think of us the bully back home..this was a negative to me that shows hes not ready.

Lets also recall Rich Rider was depowered and stripped of his Nova status fillowing Nova vol 1..He acted as an unofficial and unsanctioned Nova for years before the corps caught up with him..he also spent a lot of time making mistakes himself.

I think Sam needs to be depowered by worldmind to more akin to Rich Rider vol 1 levels..hes too powerful and too young for the cosmic theater he needs to hang out with the warriors and fight sea urchin and megaman.

Overall , though I am starting to see potential in Sam. I think he will make a welcome addition to the Corps when marvel gets there act together and brings it back.

Btw the term Kid Nova is not bad..Sams younger than Rich..hes only 15! Thats a baby..

Rich's nova suits for much of NW vol 1 were not official corps gear, he was not in contact with the corps till later in vol 1. Night Thrasher actually built many of these suits.

However, Rich Rider was just such a great character. I do hope he comes back soon. Personally, killing Rich off is one of my least favorite moves in marvel comics history.
    PREACH!
    I love thinking about Richards New Warriors years as his vigilante, renegade years. Leather jacket, ponytail and all :-)
    Richards and Sams situations are very different? Richard left the Corps after his sacrifice as there savior and went home. I think the World Mind and Tanak knew about Riders Nova Force Spark.
    To be fair Richards status as a Nova Corpsmen if the Nova Corps could stay alive for more then 15 minutes would be up in the air a lot. Richard is like that Super Cop who gets yelled at all the time and has to turn in his badge every other week because of how much of a badass he is. He's like the Davos of the Nova Corps.

I agree, Richard really spent a long time developing his character and use of the power before he really went off to face these huge space threats. I mean yeah, he went to Xandar at the end of vol. 1 and he was in space for the Infinity series as well as showing up ROM I believe, but unlike Rich, Sam has had the helmet for all of 6 months and he is already going to Knowhere and encountering entire fleets of aliens(Chitari)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mononokifool View Post
    I agree, Richard really spent a long time developing his character and use of the power before he really went off to face these huge space threats. I mean yeah, he went to Xandar at the end of vol. 1 and he was in space for the Infinity series as well as showing up ROM I believe, but unlike Rich, Sam has had the helmet for all of 6 months and he is already going to Knowhere and encountering entire fleets of aliens(Chitari)
    Kinda like how Kyle Rayner tackled huge threats from his very start.
    Aint nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    Kinda like how Kyle Rayner tackled huge threats from his very start.
    Aint nothing wrong with that.
    I have never read Green Lantern so I can't comment on this and I really don't like making comparisons to GL. And I get that you are really enjoying the book and the character which is really cool. But the main problem that I have with the situation is that he is flying around space, where the corps is known as a force that they can trust and be helped, and using the name Nova as a 15 year old reckless kid. That's why I, like the others have said in this thread, it would be cool for him to Earth side and develop as a character or until he has another Nova to mentor him. I really like the New Warriors book and I have liked the direction Duggan has took the main title, except for the Spaceknights part.

BANNED

I have never read Green Lantern so I can't comment on this and I really don't like making comparisons to GL. And I get that you are really enjoying the book and the character which is really cool. But the main problem that I have with the situation is that he is flying around space, where the corps is known as a force that they can trust and be helped, and using the name Nova as a 15 year old reckless kid. That's why I, like the others have said in this thread, it would be cool for him to Earth side and develop as a character or until he has another Nova to mentor him. I really like the New Warriors book and I have liked the direction Duggan has took the main title, except for the Spaceknights part.
    It's a new direction. He doesn't have to go down the path of Rich or any other Nova.
    He can blaze his own path... there's nothing wrong with that.

Look. I love Rich. I loved the entire concept of the Nova Corps and all that came with it.
    I loved his time on New Warriors and I even loved him when he had long and gnarly hair.
    When the entire Corps died and he carried the Nova Force I LOVED that.

To me every decade it seems like the concept of Nova undergoes a change of direction.
    This one just doesn't include Rich and is less formal.

It's the story of a kid out of his element getting immense power and learning how to use it despite having no one to teach him.
    He has no real mentor or someone there to guide him, he has to become a Nova... a hero on his own terms.
    He'll learn from his mistakes and those of others all while upholding a name and legacy he can be proud of.
    In this aspect, he's like Kyle Rayner. A Lantern without a Corps or training just trying to do good.

It's different from what you would expect from Nova... but that's okay.

But why not create a completely new character then? I don't understand that. But I do have hope for this character and I really hope that I can like Sam as much as I love Richard. I mean, I am still buying the book every month and will continue to do so no matter what, wouldn't want any holes in my Nova collection lol, so they will always get money from me for it. I am just skeptical as of right now.

BANNED

But why not create a completely new character then? I don't understand that.
    Because legacies are cool and have a better chance of selling.
    Also, the Nova concept lends itself to the notion that you can have other people taking on the name.
    Plus, it's a new take on something old. Just like Post-Annihilation Rich was a new take.

Even if Rich comes back, they can both be Nova. That's the beauty of the concept.
    And I'm glad you're still reading it. lol

Spectacular Member

Default Nova Prime Time: Rich Rider Appreciation

I figured with all the news coming out we could use a place to celebrate our favorite space faring Earth man. I think some of my favorite moments were the Annihilation Nova mini and how it eventually culminated with Rich killing Annihilus in the coolest way to end a war. What are some of your fond moments?

It's hard to top that. I loved his interaction with the New Warriors in its first run. Heck, even when he was depowered he was a scrapper.
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

Interesting Read, but a not fully accurate one.
    http://robot6.comicbookresources.com...comment-223784