Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Teen Marvel NOW Consolidated Appreciation

Hi everyone!

I've thought about this for a while, and this new forum seems like the perfect opportunity to try it out.

I've been really impressed by the way Marvel has developed and promoted their recent crop of teenage characters. The writers have created some truly memorable and endearing characters, and to be honest I sometimes find this new guard is in many ways more diverse and dynamic than the old guard. The phenomenal artists that Marvel assigns to these book is also a sign of confidence (unlike at...certain other publishers)

Whether it's the Young Avengers (in all their incarnations), Dennis Hopeless' ongoing Arena/Undercover saga, the young X-Men at the Jean Grey School, the new New Warriors, or the latest legacy characters like Ms Marvel, I thought it would be a neat idea to celebrate this new wave of characters together.

I'm kinda banking on their being a lot of crossover between fans of these different series. I can't be the only one, right?

I also thought we could use a thread to appreciate some of the finished or forgotten teen books, like Avengers Academy, Journey Into Mystery with boy Loki, Spider-Girl and Young Allies (*pours one out for Rikki Barnes*)

I think you are forgetting two:

1) Miles Morales the Ultimate Spider-Man (I love that cover)

The first issue with the new numbering is coming next week (I think).

2) All-New Ultimates.

First issue wasn't that impressive but Fiffe said that it is part of a giant 12-issue arc.
    Last edited by Rok; 05-01-2014 at 04:44 AM.

I like this idea of combining all the Marvel Youth into one area -- I love so many of them from so many titles. Good plan!

Last edited by Fokken; 05-01-2014 at 04:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I like this idea of combining all the Marvel Youth into one area -- I love so many of them from so many titles. Good plan!
    Perhaps it could work (a giant team up). But I have some doubts, a cast that is larger than (approx) 5 runs the risk of making a lot of characters wallpaper. It is somewhere between very difficult and impossible to to give all the members of such a large cast meaningful page time. And then if a character is not given meaningful page time then just cut the character.

Default Favesies

My personal favorites, in no particular order, include:

Power Man 2.0.
    Thanks to the remarkable Ewing's Mighty Avengers, Victor Alvarez is chi-punching his way into my heart rather unexpectedly. He's got a terrific visual and such a distinct attitude/voice that I've found very entertaining -- particularly during the White Tiger focused arc.

Finesse
    Miss Foucault's beauty and stoicism struck a cord with me from her first promotional image way back before Avengers Academy had even begun. Her stunted emotinal growth and social skills make for incredibly entertaining interactions among her peers and I just can't get enough.

Wiccan
    I'd initially skipped over the introduction of the Young Avengers, believing them to be just a variant of the whole DC sidekick phenomenon until I'd learned their connections to the Avengers history was much more deeply rooted in unexpected ways. Billy's ties to Wanda (previously my favorite Avenger) and his relationship to Hulkling drew me in and I've enjoyed every installment

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Cool thread. I do feel like someone is missing though. Oh yeah, All New Ghost Rider!

GR.jpg

Two issues in and I am loving Robbie Reyes.

Xavin
    The Super Skrull in training, gender-bending Prince(ss) tore a hole in my beloved Runaways crew, but Brian K Vaughan saw it in his infinite wisdom to eventually fill that void, with interest, by incorporating Xavin into the orphaned fold. Her continued adaptation to Earth life/culture proved hilarious and heart warming and I hope they bring him back again one day.

Reptil
    From his sweet dino-mimicry to his collecting of Cloud 9's commemorative plates, Humberto charmed his way into THIS fanboy's heart in one issue. His inclusion amongst the Avengers Academy cast propelled my enthusiasm for him like a caffeine injection to my nerd brain. I hope some writer out there cannonizes his survival from the Arena.

Kate Bishop
    Ooooh the incomparable Kate Bishop. Beautiful, savvy, and tough as nails. A proven leader, confidant, and hero, Miss Bishop hits the mark every time. No powers, but she's doing it anyways -- because being a superhero is amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    Cool thread. I do feel like someone is missing though. Oh yeah, All New Ghost Rider!

GR.jpg

Two issues in and I am loving Robbie Reyes.
    I picked up Ghost Rider #1 because the art caught my eye. I didn't expect the story to draw me in the way it has.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Yeah, I was mostly attracted to the art. Ghost Rider is a character I always felt was pretty cool but never really got into. Felipe Smith has pretty much nailed it though so far.

I think this thread is pretty cool, I've always had a soft-spot for teenage superheroes. I read the first trade of Gillen's Young avengers, I liked it, not enough to read the second, but it was enjoyable. I like Ms. Marvel. I like Nova because cosmic stories are usually fun to read. I really want to check out new warriors because I am a fan of Yost's writing (I can't wait for him to take over spider-man one day), but I'm trade waiting it, that $3.99 price tag is killing me.

I love this thread! I always felt that Marvel had the better teen characters, and seeing them get so much love warms my heart.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post

Love the first pic! And the second has a very classic Breakfast club vibe. Too cool!

Quote Originally Posted by NamorsTrident View Post
    Love the first pic! And the second has a very classic Breakfast club vibe. Too cool!
    Thanks so much! I'm super proud of how it turned out. I only wish I could've added more characters -- Power Man 2.0, Spider Girl, White Tiger, maybe some of the X-kids.
    Perhaps in another installment

Throw in some love for the FF and Power Pack kids - Julie gets some love because of Avengers Academy - but don't forget about Alex Power, and Ahura Boltagon.

And even though they aren't teens, we could throw the rest in with the Youths! Franklin and Val, Onome, Luna, Bentley, Tong, Vil and Wu, (and Katie and Jack Power from the Pack!)