Page 53 of 139 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Trevel8182 View Post

This McGuiness art just makes me want a Nova Corp book with him illustrating it.

2014-09-01 14.54.49.jpg

Thought you all would appreciate my new ink.

Hey All, I just got back from Dragoncon in Atlanta, Georgia and it was one HELLUVA show for me and my crew of oddball costumers. As I mentioned in this thread before, a group of friends and I created a bunch of GotG and Nova themed costumes a few years back. We did so mainly to keep the torch burning in memory of Marvel Comics unforgettable Annihilation era which was sadly about to come to an end (this was around 2010/11). This was 100% a labor of love, back then we figured only the most hardcore cosmic fans would know anything about us, but since the costumes in the comics looked so danm awesome and the characters so unique even folks who had no clue would stop to admire our work and wonder who we were, I of course would steer them right in the direction of my favorite DnA cosmic titles. It might have been too little too late by then but hey, at least I was doing my small part in shinning a much deserved spotlight on a very underrated and under appreciated corner of the Marvel U.
    We couldn't have possibly imagined that in 2014 danm near EVERYBODY would know who we were costuming as and that we would be hanging out with the director of the film version of Guardians of the Galaxy the highest rated movie of the year and now the movie with the largest box office totals in the U.S.

Yes, that's us with James frikin' Gunn! He's even holding MY cosmic cube! His excitement as genuine and giddy as any other cosmic fan that met us that day. He looked us over with a smile and said "Hmmmm, so let's see...which one of you are in the sequel...." then pointing at each of us in turn and saying "YOUR in the sequel (Groot), YOUR in the sequel (Star Lord), YOUR in the sequel (Rocket), YOUR in the sequel (to our stuffed Cosmo, LOL!)" Then our Adam Warlock asked "Me of course, right?" James just smiled, laughed and stuck his finger up as to suggest we guessed "one" right. He then said to our Moondragon, Nova, and Phyla Vell: "You guys... I'm still trying to figure it out" then he turned and said: "Bug! I'm so sorry we don't own you so I can't get you in, I tried really, REALLY hard too!" Our Bug was crushed of course, but it was still EPIC!

We hung out for James and Sean Gunn's entire autograph session that Saturday and I got to hear their interactions with the fans, we were basically a live action photo backdrop for them. BOTH of them showed so much love to the fans, they didn't even charge them for photos or a signature! NOBODY does that, even the nicest of the nice celebs will charge $20 each. All they asked is for fans to donate whatever they could to a charity they were collecting for. It truly was a mind blowing experience. In a day where art and the love of the medium is often taking a back seat to the business initiative it was inspiring to see such highly accomplished individuals taking so much of their precious little free time to come down and interact with old and new fans alike all just for the sake of giving back some of the love that they've been enjoying this year. From the Gunn Bros. and the cast and crew of the Film to The Creative teams of the Annihilation Era for the once forgotten characters of Nova, Star Lord, Groot, Rocket and the rest of the GotG, heck even for us nerdy fans and cosplayers, this was a good year for the journeymen of the world. Years of hard work and dedication even after stumbling to the finish line it all finally payed off for so many in such significant ways and anyone who was a part of it and got to witness these amazing efforts succeed truly got to experience something rare and very special take place.
    Last edited by Superkreep; 09-02-2014 at 10:01 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superkreep View Post
    Hey All, I just got back from Dragoncon in Atlanta, Georgia and it was one HELLUVA show for me and my crew of oddball costumers. As I mentioned in this thread before, a group of friends and I created a bunch of GotG and Nova themed costumes a few years back. We did so mainly to keep the torch burning in memory of Marvel Comics unforgettable Annihilation era which was sadly about to come to an end (this was around 2010/11). This was 100% a labor of love, back then we figured only the most hardcore cosmic fans would know anything about us, but since the costumes in the comics looked so danm awesome and the characters so unique even folks who had no clue would stop to admire our work and wonder who we were, I of course would steer them right in the direction of my favorite DnA cosmic titles. It might have been too little too late by then but hey, at least I was doing my small part in shinning a much deserved spotlight on a very underrated and under appreciated corner of the Marvel U.
    We couldn't have possibly imagined that in 2014 danm near EVERYBODY would know who we were costuming as and that we would be hanging out with the director of the film version of Guardians of the Galaxy the highest rated movie of the year and now the movie with the largest box office totals in the U.S.

Yes, that's us with James frikin' Gunn! He's even holding MY cosmic cube! His excitement as genuine and giddy as any other cosmic fan that met us that day. He looked us over with a smile and said "Hmmmm, so let's see...which one of you are in the sequel...." then pointing at each of us in turn and saying "YOUR in the sequel (Groot), YOUR in the sequel (Star Lord), YOUR in the sequel (Rocket), YOUR in the sequel (to our stuffed Cosmo, LOL!)" Then our Adam Warlock asked "Me of course, right?" James just smiled, laughed and stuck his finger up as to suggest we guessed "one" right. He then said to our Moondragon, Nova, and Phyla Vell: "You guys... I'm still trying to figure it out" then he turned and said: "Bug! I'm so sorry we don't own you so I can't get you in, I tried really, REALLY hard too!" Our Bug was crushed of course, but it was still EPIC!

We hung out for James and Sean Gunn's entire autograph session that Saturday and I got to hear their interactions with the fans, we were basically a live action photo backdrop for them. BOTH of them showed so much love to the fans, they didn't even charge them for photos or a signature! NOBODY does that, even the nicest of the nice celebs will charge $20 each. All they asked is for fans to donate whatever they could to a charity they were collecting for. It truly was a mind blowing experience. In a day where art and the love of the medium is often taking a back seat to the business initiative it was inspiring to see such highly accomplished individuals taking so much of their precious little free time to come down and interact with old and new fans alike all just for the sake of giving back some of the love that they've been enjoying this year. From the Gunn Bros. and the cast and crew of the Film to The Creative teams of the Annihilation Era for the once forgotten characters of Nova, Star Lord, Groot, Rocket and the rest of the GotG, heck even for us nerdy fans and cosplayers, this was a good year for the journeymen of the world. Years of hard work and dedication even after stumbling to the finish line it all finally payed off for so many in such significant ways and anyone who was a part of it and got to witness these amazing efforts succeed truly got to experience something rare and very special take place.
    Very Nice!! Details on the costumes are great, shame about Bug I thought him and the micronauts would be the exception of the ownership. Is it all right if I can post the photo on the Marvel Cosmic Appreciation?

You guys are awesome, obviously, I have a soft spot for Nova but all your costumes are great. Gunn Bros are some humble people and are exactly what the fans could hope for as far as creative drive and directors of this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by stingnewell View Post
    Very Nice!! Details on the costumes are great, shame about Bug I thought him and the micronauts would be the exception of the ownership. Is it all right if I can post the photo on the Marvel Cosmic Appreciation?
    Of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymousmc View Post
    You guys are awesome, obviously, I have a soft spot for Nova but all your costumes are great. Gunn Bros are some humble people and are exactly what the fans could hope for as far as creative drive and directors of this movie.
    Exactly, you couldn’t have asked for a better guy to lead Marvel Cosmic in the MCU.
    That kind of goes back to some recent replies he gave at these Q&A panels at Dragoncon, he is 100% focusing on COSMIC characters.
    Those far out oddities outside of the mainstream hero that you never knew you could love and then GET you to love them.
    That’s exactly what Bill Roseman said he Schmidt, Giffen and DnA were looking to do, they wanted to revitalize this nearly forgotten genre and in doing so they revitalized some forgotten Marvel characters and that’s lead to this smashing success of the film. Hearing James Gunn talk about that connection he felt that HE and the cast of this film shared with characters in the comic and the creators behind it is truly like art imitating life. It was a perfect storm really, all these elements were in place naturally and non-manufactured.
    That’s what the current GotG and Nova books lack these days, they are no-longer about the “losers” who “Gave a $#;+!” now they are about showcasing “big name” writers and penciler’s attempting to cash in on the hype. Something that most of us on this forum know the Annihilation Era GotG and Nova books that inspired James Gunn and Kevin Feige never had and never needed.

Marvel does own Bug, of course, except he was actually loosely based off of an existing Micronauts toy design .. so if the movie were to make gadzillions maybe it was too close for comfort on a potential rights issue.
    Last edited by THANOSRULES; 09-03-2014 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by THANOSRULES View Post
    Marvel does own Bug, of course, except he was actually loosely based off of an existing Micronauts toy design .. so if the movie were to make gadzillions maybe it was too close for comfort on a potential rights issue.
    It sounded more like a "screen rights" issue. Kind of like with Spidey and the X-Men.
    The IP he is truly a part of is in sort of a gray area, so for now anyways no film rights for Marvel Studios. >_<

Let me tell you, the first year we cosplayed the GotG back in 2010 I figured BUG would be the LEAST recognized out of all of us. I thought for sure most casual con-goers would recognize Rocket the most from his appearance in the Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom video game. Boy was I wrong! Turns out BUG was the MOST recognized out of all of us!

My Bug cosplayer friend would just be in the elevator with the helmet in hand and in his normal street clothes and we'd get a bunch of dudes say "Is that Bug?!!!". Lots of old Micronauts fans at these cons. Hell even Sean and James Gunn did that: "Holy $#!+, is that Bug?!" double take, lol.
    Last edited by Superkreep; 09-04-2014 at 01:49 PM.

I just bought a lot of old Micronauts comics and have been enjoying them

also bought the old "Starriors" mini series if you recall that..great stuff!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by THANOSRULES View Post
    I just bought a lot of old Micronauts comics and have been enjoying them

also bought the old "Starriors" mini series if you recall that..great stuff!
    Nice. I just posted some commercial advertisement of the Micronauts toys here enjoy.

Nice. I just posted some commercial advertisement of the Micronauts toys here enjoy.
    guy with the sweater is classic!

Fantastic Member 50yearoldNovafan's Avatar

I loved the Micronauts. I had many of the big toys, like Biotron, Giant Acroyear, Microtron, and the Hydro-copter. Those toys were great, back in those days. The kids don't play with stuff like this anymore, and companies do not make this stuff anymore. I Also had Rom and a programmable toy called Big Trak. http://youtu.be/u6V-tuOf3dE

Fantastic Member 50yearoldNovafan's Avatar

Fantastic. By the way, can I have and play with that Phyla Vel?

Duggan interview RE: Nova...he says Blue Blazes near the end..Hmm..

http://www.newsarama.com/22093-dugga...-inverted.html

New Nova Corps fan fic i wrote:

http://richridernova.wordpress.com/o...-nova-corps-2/