Super Moderator

Default Keatinge Announces Pro Wrestling-Themed Series "Ringside" At Image Expo

Joe Keatinge will take on the world of professional wrestling with a new Image series featuring art by newcomer Nick Barber.

Full article here.

Pro wrestling is tough to do in a comic. Do you present things as real combat or as a show? If you focus on the former, it can become repetitive. If you focus on the latter, it becomes more of a soap opera, about putting on a show. There are a lot of interesting stories that you could do, based on real events. The other problem is do you present pro wrestling as it was when it was booming, with more than one major promotion and many minor independents; or, like today, with one major touring company, a couple of lesser high profile indies, and a bunch of small, local promotions, playing to small crowds?

The only comic I ever saw that handled wrestling well was Love and Rockets.

Spectacular Member

Nick Barber is a top notch artist. One of my favorites. If anybody can do it its him.
    @BIRDSINBOXES on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by codystarbuck View Post
    Pro wrestling is tough to do in a comic. Do you present things as real combat or as a show? If you focus on the former, it can become repetitive. If you focus on the latter, it becomes more of a soap opera, about putting on a show. There are a lot of interesting stories that you could do, based on real events. The other problem is do you present pro wrestling as it was when it was booming, with more than one major promotion and many minor independents; or, like today, with one major touring company, a couple of lesser high profile indies, and a bunch of small, local promotions, playing to small crowds?

You might want to track down Andre The Giant, a graphic novel from last year. Very well received, it was found on many best-of-2014 lists, including some outside of the comics media.
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

Jobbroni

Quote Originally Posted by codystarbuck View Post

Love and Rockets was crazy good.

And would it be unkind to mention HEADLOCKED? It's a wrestling that treats wrestling like a TNT original behind-the-scenes look at breaking in, with frequent covers drawn by Jerry The King Lawler. http://www.headlockedcomic.com/
    Also, there's RIVAL ANGELS! (self-plug) It treats wrestling as if it were real (like MMA, but with you know, heat) and is about 4 sassy ladies trying to break into a male-dominated industry, Pro Wrestling. www.RivalAngels.com

There's a few other really good wrestling comics too, like Botched Spot which is more of a gag a day on pro wrestling which is drop dead hilarious.

It's great to see more wrestling comics. I think there's enough room for everyone because they all tell a different story.

CaptainPandora

This is an excellent idea, but it seems incredibly similar to a series that has already been done, quite nicely, by another author. The Headlocked series by Michael Kingston is already on its third installment and has the support of multiple wrestlers, including Jerry "The King" Lawler.

It's definitely worth reading! http://www.headlockedcomic.com

Looking forward to this.

Also worth checking out: La Mano Del Destino http://castleandkeypublications.com/...stino-issue-1/ and tracking down Rafael Navarro's Somnambulo http://www.sonambulo.com/
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

Mighty Member

Yeah, seriously. Headlocked has the market on this one cornered.
    I write about the intersection of science, comics and culture. Check it out!

I love both pro wrestling and comics, so I will probably check this out, but after seeing "The Wrestler" this is going to have to be really good since that movie kind of set the standard for these kinds of stories.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    I love both pro wrestling and comics, so I will probably check this out, but after seeing "The Wrestler" this is going to have to be really good since that movie kind of set the standard for these kinds of stories.
    I love both comics and wrestling as well. I'm anxious to check this out.