Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Yeah for us people not in the entertainment business, the artist not getting his drinks paid for sounds like a major first world problem. But when it comes down to it, it's all relative. When your company is taking you out to lunch, but doesn't buy drinks, it comes off as extremely tacky. And of course, Andrews is not a true employee of Marvel Comics on their payroll, but he has been freelancing with them nearly exclusively (perhaps entirely exclusively, I'm not sure) for 16 years. To call him a visitor, putting him in the same category as the people in this thread is just rude.

It's easy to play the tune of "Poor Comic Book Creator, Who is in the Position, We'd All Like to Be In" but all companies could afford to treat their workers better. Andrews has probably made a ton of money for Marvel and their actions clearly show they don't value him.

BANNED

I think the eating-on-the-company's-dime landscape has changed in the last twenty or so years. Wasn't an issue back in the day. Then folks started abusing it, saying every breakfast, lunch and dinner was a business meeting because someone brought up work at least once and that totally counted. I see this a lot at my job, food on one check that's for the expense reports and booze on another that comes out of their own pockets. It's a legit thing. I'm sure some companies foot the liquor, but a lot don't.

That said, I didn't know the Marvel offices were closed off like that. Wonder if it's different for creators with exclusive contracts.