Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

The Superior Spider-Man seems somewhat closer to Batman than the original Spider-Man. Doc Ock as a vigilante had a darker approach to being a superhero and also had his own lab where he worked on gadgets. He also had a butler, but was a robot. It was kind of like Batman, if he was Spider-Man.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE "NOT BATMAN" BATMAN?
    Im talkkng about characters from other comics who are obviously Batman knock offs but skirt the edge enough not to infringe on the Batman copyright.
    Although just switch knock off with inspired off.

- He's also a Legacy character will inevitably pass down the mantle to future gen. (although this is a more contemporary idea for Batman)
    To son (1925)- http://i.imgur.com/j7itcLR.gif
    To Great Grandson(1937) - http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...937.gif(before Batman)
    And beyond (2006)- http://i.imgur.com/y8an3R2.jpg

I'll add Phantom and Shadow to the list, but if I have to choose one favorite "NOT BATMAN" BATMAN it's Zorro!
    Last edited by Güicho; 07-12-2019 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    Just because you are a "dark street level" character doesn't mean you are rip off. Daredevil didn't start as a Batman rip off (more like a Spider-man rip off) wan wasnt so either when Miller reformed him. The Daredevil being a Batman rip of is conception with little fact to it.

The outfit is not the same.
    Their powers are not the same.
    Their personalities are not the same.
    They don't have the same job.
    They aren't from the same social status.
    They don't share the same religion.
    They don't have the same morals.
    They don't fight the same type of villains (Batman's villains are largely insane and Daredevil are organised crime).

The only thing they have in common is that they aren't that nice to criminals and both believe in psychological and physical torture helps get information form criminals (which is a writing trope people should have moved away from long ago - especially post The Iraq war).

90% of copies aren't DIRECT copies. There are similiarites that when put together look a little too similar sometimes :P

1) Outfits are very streamlined with a cowl that covers the whole head but leaves the mouth exposed.

2) Batman has no powers but was a dedicated student who studied hard while honing his body to perfection. They both primarily fight hand to hand and are in the top tiers of martial combat. Also, that billy club has shared 'utility belt' usefulness a few times.

3) They both value justice higher then the Law. If the courts did their jobs, neither would exist. Neither are willing to kill and while both can be friendly... they both can lurk in the shadows and scare the crap out of criminals.

4 & 5) True but those points pretty much disappear as soon as they put on a mask...

6) Batman's religion is vaguely undefined. Especially since he's dealt with Spectre and worked with an actual Angel on JLA... he's still a bit vague. However, MOST comic characters are vague in the fear of chasing away the atheists. The fact that some writers play up that Daredevil acknowledges himself as a Catholic is serious rarity.

7) See #3. I don't see much difference in their morals myself.

8) Batman has dealt a lot with organized crime too... and Daredevil has share of crazies. Heck, Scarecrow and Mr. Fear are almost carbon copies of each other... O.o

Important thing to remember is that they've each had a LOT of different writers and they've each had different medias... Sometimes they are VASTLY different characters... sometimes they are REALLY similar. But 'street-level fighter' martial artist with a Secret Id prowling rooftops... is pretty much all you need to be labeled a copy anymore.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

If Guts from Berserk counts, I'd say him. His full armor costume seemed to have Batman in mind when it was designed.
    Professor Night from Alan Moore's Awesome universe also seemed like he could have been cool if there was ever an ongoing.

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    I'm not talking about people who have worn the Batman cape and cowl like Dick, Tim, Jason, Jean or Terry. Im talkkng about characters from other comics who are obviously Batman knock offs but skirt the edge enough not to infringe on the Batman copyright.
    Another, but from within the comics themselves...

Boisterously Confused

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Green Arrow (the one on TV currently)
    GA was created as a Bat-ripoff; car, cave, signal, dopey-named side-kick and all. The Kirby-Robinson Crusoe origin and 1970's loss of his fortune and social conscience were attempts to curb that. And now, we return to the roots. The irony is, More Fun Comics' GA was true to the Batman of the time he was cloned from, so it's not GA's roots we return to, but Batman's.

Agree: Ted Kord Blue Beetle, pretty much what if Batman were techy-fun!

Well that is until they blew his brains out! Cause you know comics...very adult.

And by extension as many listed The Watchmen's Night-Owl.
    Last edited by Güicho; 05-19-2018 at 04:04 PM.

BANNED

There was a series of pulp novels from over 100 years ago that I recently found online and downloaded. Forget the guy's name, Jimmy something, but he was a rich man who donned a superhero costume at night, called himself the Silver Seal I think, and fought crime (I think he actually stole from rich people, but hey, same thing) . He had his own lair and gadgets and everything, some say he was one of the lesser known inspirations for Batman. Anyway, they were enjoyable stories.

EDIT: Just found it! His name was Jimmie Dale, created by Frank L. Packard in 1914! And his alias was the Grey Seal. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmie_Dale

Really cool character, I think they even brought him back for a comic miniseries, though I could be mistaken. I have to track down those e-books, they were quite fun to read....
    Last edited by Elmo; 10-12-2015 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Black View Post
    There was a series of pulp novels from the 30's that I recently found online and downloaded. Forget the guy's name, Jimmy something, but he was a rich man who donned a superhero costume at night, called himself the Silver Seal I think, and fought crime (I think he actually stole from rich people, but hey, same thing) . He had his o?wn lair and gadgets and everything, some say he was one of the lesser known inspirations for Batman. Anyway, they were enjoyable stories.
    The Gray Seal?
    Wasn't he more of a cat burgler than a "Hero/Superhero"
    Was he actually maybe he becomes a hero in the process? Wasn't he pretty much stealing for fun, just to see if he could get away with it?

A "a superhero costume"?

Definitely helped inspire the genre. I think he's more in the mold of the Gentleman Bandit, like Fantômas, out to "entertain" themselves for the pure sake of it, not really to help others.

Last edited by Güicho; 10-12-2015 at 03:23 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    The The Gray Seal?
    Wasn't he more of a cat burgler than a "Hero/Superhero"
    Yeah, I just edited my post after doing more research.
    And he was, but later on he started fighting crime. The wikipedia link I posted provides some good information about him.

All-New, All-Different Mighty Roman's Avatar

This guy is probably my favourite Non-Batman-the public domain hero called The Black Terror.
    Currently Reading in Single Issues/Trades:
    Marvel:Hulk (NOW), Ant-Man (NOW), Avengers: Time Runs Out,
    DC:Earth 2, Superman: Earth One, The Flash,
    Titan: Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor, Doctor Who: Four Doctors,
    Upcoming:
    Secret Wars: Planet Hulk, The Last Days of Ant-Man, House of M,
    Marvel:Totally Awesome Hulk, Astonishing Ant-Man, Carnage,
    DC:Earth 2: Society,
    Titan:Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor Year 2, Doctor Who: The Eighth Doctor,
    Co-Editor of CBR's Age of Marvel Amazing Line

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Roman View Post

This guy is probably my favourite Non-Batman-the public domain hero called The Black Terror.
    I'm not sure how there's a connection between Black Terror and "Who is your favorite "not batman" Batman?" besides the fact that he wears dark colors and has a cape, he has a secret identity, and he had a boy sidekick.

Unlike Batman, Black Terror was a pharmacist who developed a formula that gave him superpowers.

Dark Horse's Black Beetle series.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Gonna have to give the nod to Midnghter.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!