Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Batman/Superman #22 Preview

BATMAN/SUPERMAN #22
    Written by GREG PAK
    Art and cover ARDIAN SYAF and VICENTE CIFUENTES
    TEEN TITANS GO! Variant cover by DAN HIPP
    On sale JULY 8 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T
    The Superman epic you never expected – “TRUTH” continues! Can Superman accept the truth about his new partner? Featuring the all-new Batman!

http://www.newsarama.com/25035-batma...riendship.html

Looking great, imo!

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

That's some weird dialogue on both their parts, though I guess justifiable. The bit about trusting people was odd but reasonable for Clark to think about, and while I never would have thought of Gordon as the type of guy to see "bleeding-heart" as a bad thing, I suppose there isn't much in the way of room for them in Gotham, aside from those of the literal variety.
    Buh-bye

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Wait, so these guys actually make Superman weaker?
    Mmm. Interesting. You think this might have something to do with why he's weaker in the first place?
    Also, Birghamton (or whatever) isn't what he seems? I wonder what that means. I mean, it's obvious at this point that he's a dirty cop working with some sort of secret organisation interested in destroying Superman, but I wonder if there's something else to it.
    Nice to see Clark trying to bring the a peaceful resolution to the whole thing, but Gordon's being a bit of a d.ck. Usually, I would find that out of character, but truth is, I found Gordon to act fairly differently since he's Batman (or at least when he's Batman).
    Last edited by Auguste Dupin; 07-02-2015 at 05:25 PM.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Wait, so these guys actually make Superman weaker?
    Mmm. Interesting. You think this might have something to do with why he's weaker in the first place?
    Also, Birghamton (or whatever) isn't what he seems? I wonder what that means. I mean, it's obvious at this point that he's a dirty cop working with some sort of secret organisation interested in destroying Superman, but I wonder if there's something else to it.
    Nice to see Clark trying to bring the a peaceful resolution to the whole thing, but Gordon's being a bit of a d.ck. usually, I would find that out of character, but truth is, I found Gordon to actfairly differently since he's Batman (or at least when he's Batman).
    Yeah, I found this bit interesting too.
    I don't know what happened to Gordon, but, yes, he's being really d*ck-ish lately...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Banner View Post
    Yeah, I found this bit interesting too.
    I don't know what happened to Gordon, but, yes, he's being really d*ck-ish lately...
    Well, to be fair, I guess having to be Batman is a fairly stressful situation to be in, especially when you're someone like Gordon and not a Batfamily member. That and he's probably putting on a "tough guy" persona when he's being Batman (the contrast between his civlian persona and his Batman persona was fairly interesting to notice in Batgirl).

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Well, to be fair, I guess having to be Batman is a fairly stressful situation to be in, especially when you're someone like Gordon and not a Batfamily member. That and he's probably putting on a "tough guy" persona when he's being Batman (the contrast between his civlian persona and his Batman persona was fairly interesting to notice in Batgirl).
    I get the impression Jim is overcompensating in the attitude area. Hes acting how he THINKS Bruce would act in certain situations.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I get the impression Jim is overcompensating in the attitude area. Hes acting how he THINKS Bruce would act in certain situations.
    Yeah, that sounds about right.

That makes sense. I'm not actively reading Batman, so I have to remind myself that its not common knowledge that this isn't the same Batman just in a new suit.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Wow, yeah, this isn't for me at all. Hard and firm pass.

Jim Gordon has been betrayed utterly and totally by the police before, I don't buy him acting this way.

Is it at all inline though with his portrayal in Batman though? I don't like his attitude either but I don't know if its bad characterization on one writers part or just the way he's supposed to be.

I still say though that Syaf's Truth-Superman rival's Kuder's take. Easily the best two representations.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Is it at all inline though with his portrayal in Batman though? I don't like his attitude either but I don't know if its bad characterization on one writers part or just the way he's supposed to be.

I still say though that Syaf's Truth-Superman rival's Kuder's take. Easily the best two representations.
    From what I've read this seems a little extreme, but I've only read bits and pieces of whatever is going on in BATMAN so I'm unsure. Still making my way through Synder's run for kicks.

This book seems like it could really use a creative overhaul.

You know when I read Action and then follow it up with B/S I start to think that maybe mastermind behind Action's success isn't Pak, but Kuder. Maybe Pak just writes the words since he is better at actual writing than Kuder, but I can't wrap my head how else we could go from Superman standing with people to this. And its not like Gordon as Batman is a problem here. What annoyed me was Clark's lines about trust, basically it says that Superman trusted people because they couldn't do anything to him, now that he is vulnerable he can't trust as easily. Now, this is "human" approach all right, but I always thought that Superman trusts in humanity because he sees potential for good in us and not because we can't harm him.

Its an equal collaboration. But Pak gets Superman big time, he writes him well no matter who he's working with on art duties. But Kuder's probably the x factor of what makes Action shine more than this title, because I'm sure some of his creative input gets through as well. And judging from his writing example on Superboy, that input is probably pretty good. Mastermind is going too far though.

But where we differ is that I indeed do think Batman is the only problem here. Superman's fine to me. There's no glaroing contradictions in his characterization here or any of the other books. The big difference here though is that he's not interacting with friends and allies yet here. He doesn't have the people of Kentville, or Jimmy and Lois, or Wonder Woman, or Bruce in this book. He has Mecha Batman and Lex. Gordon is not yet a friend. And sure as hell neither is Lex. So he e should be more on edge in this one. But at the same time he's not all dark either. Still has his wit "You mean this?", says he wants to make peace, and offers his hand. It all lines up fine with me.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-02-2015 at 11:54 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    You know when I read Action and then follow it up with B/S I start to think that maybe mastermind behind Action's success isn't Pak, but Kuder. Maybe Pak just writes the words since he is better at actual writing than Kuder, but I can't wrap my head how else we could go from Superman standing with people to this. And its not like Gordon as Batman is a problem here. What annoyed me was Clark's lines about trust, basically it says that Superman trusted people because they couldn't do anything to him, now that he is vulnerable he can't trust as easily. Now, this is "human" approach all right, but I always thought that Superman trusts in humanity because he sees potential for good in us and not because we can't harm him.
    But then do his words (in context) actually contradict Action Comics? I don't think so. Also in context this is in part asking about giving this Batman the same trust he gave the old Batman. I don't see why one should take this as Superman's stance on humanity but rather the situation at hand and a comment on his new found mortality.

As for Pak on both books, I think the book has lost it's voice more than a less talented Pak without Kuder. If you look back to his first arc on B/S I'd say that was stronger stuff than his Action Comics work. But then this book sort of got left on the sidelines after Pak got going over on Action and put what seems to be more time into that book (if the inconsequential use of B/S in xovers is any indication). I'd never under cut Kuder as a creator but I'd say the driving force is Pak.

Does Alfred know Gordon is Batman and does Gordon know about Bruce? If so I'd love to see him give Jim a lecture about Superman and how he has no business doubting his intentions.