Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

So only one Velvet..Walking Dead..Lazarus..Sheltered..Saga....Jupiters Children...Invincible

Going with Walking Dead, I actually read each book with apprehension wondering if one of my favorites gets knocked off

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

Saga, without a doubt.

What we do is secret Oskar Von Strange's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    The Bulletproof Coffin, even though the second mini ended two(?) years ago.
    Ohhhhhh, I definitely want to see more of Bulletproof.

I'm only reading two image titles: Minimum Wage and Stray Bullets: Killers.

Stray Bullets it is.
    Currently reading:Creepy, Eerie, The Goddamned, The Goon, Haunted Horror, Hellboy, King Conan, Last Gang in Town, Sherrif of Babylon, Stray Bullets, Usagi Yojimbo, Weird Love

Astonishing Member

Savage Dragon...

But ist almost impossible to decide...

If I had to have one - although I enjoy all my Image books I would have to choose Lazarus.

Only one, damn you, ok....

SAGA!!!!!
    #MagnetoWasRight

Quote Originally Posted by ApolloCreed!(The One and Only) View Post
    Only one, damn you, ok....

SAGA!!!!!

Just one....hmmm.

Mice Templar.
    Writer of Lore and Legends for Mice Templar.

Rocket Girl. So fun

Lazarus

It matters more than the other Image titles on my pull list right now. I can see why people might choose Saga (escapist sci-fi) or Sex Criminals (cool humor) but as an earlier poster said, Lazarus matters most in these troubled times.

Quote Originally Posted by banky View Post
    Lazarus

It matters more than the other Image titles on my pull list right now. I can see why people might choose Saga (escapist sci-fi) or Sex Criminals (cool humor) but as an earlier poster said, Lazarus matters most in these troubled times.
    Offtopic I know, but I find this confusing. By nearly every objective measure, this is the greatest time in human history to be alive. We have never had a more peaceful world with a smaller number of people dying because of war, poverty, disease or famine. The big exception is environmental issues where the numbers are not good. But otherwise, these really aren't "troubled times".

So I don't find Lazarus to be some kind of cautionary tale. It's a well-told dystopic tale where the story circumstances were brought on by a series of comic book coincidences. Great comic and a really great lead character.

If you want troubled times, try Europe in the 14th century or the first half of the 20th century.

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    Offtopic I know, but I find this confusing. By nearly every objective measure, this is the greatest time in human history to be alive. We have never had a more peaceful world with a smaller number of people dying because of war, poverty, disease or famine. The big exception is environmental issues where the numbers are not good. But otherwise, these really aren't "troubled times".

So I don't find Lazarus to be some kind of cautionary tale. It's a well-told dystopic tale where the story circumstances were brought on by a series of comic book coincidences. Great comic and a really great lead character.

If you want troubled times, try Europe in the 14th century or the first half of the 20th century.
    I'll try to make the argument on topic;

By nearly every "objective measure" based on past history (most of which is increasingly less and less relevant in modern times), you may have an argument. Current socio-economic factors on a global scale, environmental issues and political turmoil all point to this era being at the very least troubled times. The problem persits with politicians and leaders pointing to some rose-tinted ideal or comparison with some era 50+ years ago and saying we're doing alright. One of the reasons economic growth post-recession has been so slow, is most economists have been applying the same rules/solutions to past recessions. Today's economic problems are much more complex than those from an era when starting a war was a legitimate solution to jump starting an economy.

Every comic book story can be considered some kind of cautionary tale (moral, ethical or otherwise). I think what makes Lazarus relevant is the idea that this vision of a dystopian future falls well within the realm of possibility. There may be no escapism there but I look to other books for that.

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post

I'm the one that said it. You are absolutely correct about previous centuries being horrible, no dispute there. The benefits of technology have made our lives better in many ways. This is one of the things Lazarus is about: technology. It does an excellent job of imagining how it might be used for good and bad, a staple of sci-fi for sure but endlessly interesting nonetheless.

We're facing some big problems that banky already touched on, and I'm just glad that a book like Lazarus exists to maybe draw attention and offer a little glimpse of where we (might) be headed.

There are some great books out now, but Lazarus is the one book I devour from front to back and wish there was more.

Quote Originally Posted by banky View Post
    I'll try to make the argument on topic;

By nearly every "objective measure" based on past history (most of which is increasingly less and less relevant in modern times), you may have an argument. Current socio-economic factors on a global scale, environmental issues and political turmoil all point to this era being at the very least troubled times. The problem persits with politicians and leaders pointing to some rose-tinted ideal or comparison with some era 50+ years ago and saying we're doing alright. One of the reasons economic growth post-recession has been so slow, is most economists have been applying the same rules/solutions to past recessions. Today's economic problems are much more complex than those from an era when starting a war was a legitimate solution to jump starting an economy.

Every comic book story can be considered some kind of cautionary tale (moral, ethical or otherwise). I think what makes Lazarus relevant is the idea that this vision of a dystopian future falls well within the realm of possibility. There may be no escapism there but I look to other books for that.
    I agree that the recent economic crisis was a close call. But I can't agree with disregarding history. I am not an economist, but I do read The Economist, and they had a pretty good history of economic crises. Check it out: http://www.economist.com/news/essays...s-today-s-fina

History is always relevant, particularly when comparing hard numbers that relate to human "progress", aka the number of people that are dying in awful ways. Really, that's the end game: to prevent needless deaths due to war, poverty, disease and famine. You can say "yes, the last financial crisis was unique so these are troubled times indeed" but the numbers say otherwise. Fewer people are dying, relatively speaking.

Here is another cool fact: before WW2, there were around fifteen democracies in the world. That's it, fifteen. Today there are around 120, for varying definitions of the word "democracy" obviously. This is important because democracies almost never attack one another (there are some marginal exceptions, such as the Continuation War).

I am not saying everything is rosy. The real problems everyone should be focusing on are environmental and a bunch of those are dire indeed, basically unmatched in human history.

Very tough choice ... but I'd have to say, The Walking Dead