Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default A-List DC titles??

With all the talent DC has been losing to Marvel the last few years I realized that DC has virtually no real A-list books (besides Justice League, Superman and Batman) that could lure/entice any kind of A-list (art) talent from another company.

Bryan Hitch is doing Justice League but after that I cant imagine anything on DC's publishing slate that would entice him to stay afterwards. If Joe Mad ever decided to come to DC they'd have to do the same as Hitch and give him some out of continuity story.
    There's a lot of guys like JRJR who i feel have been around the mill at Marvel and done most of everything and are due to make a jump over but the lack of any real great books are whats keeping them at Marvel. I don't know if Leinil Yu is going to come to DC to draw Aquaman..........

I don't know what the point of this thread is. Is it to bash DC? Because that's what it looks like you're doing.

You know, people be fans of things that aren't big names. It's how these companies have been allowed to exist publishing things besides Batman, Superman, Spider-Man and the X-Men for over 50 years. Maybe Hitch wants to stick around and draw Green Lantern. Or maybe JRJR really wants to do The Atom sometime.

I don't know if you're trying to start a discussion, but the way you framed this thread really rubs me the wrong way.

Spectacular Member

C_ Miller. Or a new Hourman comic am I right?

I have no clue what you mean by "A-List" books. The creative team and quality of a book is what makes it A-List, not the other way around. The New-52 has had lots of other "A-List" books besides the three you mention, WW, Aquaman, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Batgirl etc. but they were only A-List for their quality, not the name on the book.
    I mean there are very few books whose title screams "A-List" at Marvel either. The four knock off Avenger titles aren't anymore of a draw than JLU for instance.

If you are suggesting DC doesn't have any other interesting characters than Bats and Supes that would entice a creator, well I don't know what to say to you other than that your wrong, and probably shouldn't waste your time on DC forums since clearly the universe isn't your cup of tea.

Mighty Member

Have you seen the way Hitch talks about JLA? It's literally his dream project.

And an A-list book is what the creators make it. Geoff Johns' Green Lantern was an A-list title because Geoff Johns was on it. There's nothing inherently stopping highly rated writers and artists from wanting to work on stuff like Aquaman or Wonder Woman or Cyborg or what have you.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

If a big name creator wanted to do something with DC they'll likely just give them their own book. The Dark Knight comic book only existed to have David Finch do Batman for instance. Showcase books are still a thing.

The Watchmen would like a few words with you...
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

penetrator of things

Batman/Superman is the perfect kind of title that could bring creators in.
    hi my name is tako and i like to grow leeks
    @takoleeks

Spectacular Member

I think you're forgetting some titles: Morrison was on board for a while with both a Superman and Batman title, Azzarello, love him or hate him, re-defined Wonder Woman to a very high praise, Jeff Lemire single handedly turned around Green Arrow into a worthwhile book, and even if you don't consider Detective Comics A-list, the second half of the run has been pretty damn good starting with the Wrath arc and moving forward.

Amazing Member

Ok, I didnt frame the statement/question in a very good way but this is the exact Opposite of DC bashing. This started from thinking about certain creators I'd love to see on DC books and then thinking what DC books would suit them/they would actually do and it became a small list of repetitive titles.
    And you guys' comments are supporting my query: Superman/Action, Batman/Dectective, Wonder Woman, Justice League. I'd add Legion to that too.

And yeah, every writer/artist has a personal favorite character that they'd love to do... I know Bendis has said he wants to do Plastic Man but Im looking at DC's current publishing line.

Dmreyn- all your examples are from In-house talent. Those guys all started at DC. And Lemire just left to Marvel.

Fantastic Member

As far as stealing talent away, without being privy to the financials, from all appearances DC hasn't been a creator-friendly house for the last few years (pushing someone like JH Williams III off a book is insane). They'd find a spotlight book for big-name artists of a certain style, but ... that was about it, and in some ways that's as problematic as anything. It'll be interesting to see if that changes if the editorial approach of the DC You sticks around. Perhaps more creators with confident, idiosyncratic pitches for DC's IP will start to find a home there.

That's my hope, anyway.

I dont know man. If we could get Marvel writers at DC i wouldnt like them in Superman or Batman. Matt Fraction could write a fantastic Green Arrow. Jason Aaron or Kieron Gillen would be great in Aquaman.

To be honest, "A-list" characters like Supes or Bats dont appeal to me as much as Midnighter or the Omega Men do these days. Talent doesnt necessarily goes well with high profile characters.
    If Multiversity had been written by Scott Lobdell it wouldn't have been the same, imho... and Soule left Superman/WW to write Inhumans.

I really dont see how only "big" characters attract good writers.
    Last edited by poroto678; 07-06-2015 at 06:48 AM.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

I'd also make the case they're looking for new talent and finding the next writer and artist superstars.

They could very easily keep Hitch and give him a book like Suicide Squad
    DC has a few more A list titles besides Batman and Justice League
    I mean if someone like Bendis leaves Marvel you know he'd write Batman in a heartbeat

If they came to DC...

Hickman - Legion
    Bendis - Suicide Squad
    Fraction - New Gods
    Waid - Secret Society of Super-Heroes (Earth 20)
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.