Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I liked Spider-Man: Chapter One by Byrne. I know A LOT of people hate it but I really enjoyed it.
    Hi Mike, I agree with you on that one

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    Bob Gale. The Freak three-parter is fun and goofy and while it's not great, I don't get why everyone acts like it peed in their cornflakes.

I mean, come on.

"He's smoking...meth or something!"
    I did too
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

I'm not sure people disagree with this, but Mackie pre the relaunch was pretty awesome. I loved his work with JRJR on Peter Parker Spider-Man. He did a nice job using Ben before the end of the clone saga, and he told some good stories with Peter once it was over. People usually shake their heads at the mention of Mackie and they forget he wrote the character for a LONG time.

I really enjoyed the Spider-Totem stuff I don't really see what people have against it. I didn't really see it changing Peter's origin all that much.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I liked Spider-Man: Chapter One by Byrne. I know A LOT of people hate it but I really enjoyed it.
    I'm kinda "meh" on this series.
    I was disappointed when it was 90% spot-on retelling of Lee/Ditko stories with a touch of OCD Byrne storytelling (can't think of anything else to call that) in there.

'Sins Past'

Seriously. Really enjoyed that arc and will probably enjoy it even more the second time through.

All-New Member OfTitansandTeleplays's Avatar

I'm going a bit more into territory that there is RELENTLESS hate for online that I can not wrap my head around. Ultimate Spider-Man #49. It wasn't my first comic but it really cultivated my love for Spidey. It has nearly everything I love about the character and fascinated me with his world.
    2yuznlx.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
    I'm not sure people disagree with this, but Mackie pre the relaunch was pretty awesome. I loved his work with JRJR on Peter Parker Spider-Man. He did a nice job using Ben before the end of the clone saga, and he told some good stories with Peter once it was over. People usually shake their heads at the mention of Mackie and they forget he wrote the character for a LONG time.
    That's a pretty fair statement; Mackie is still pretty low on my list of Spidey writers but he was on the book longer than people seem to recall, as you say, and wrote some pretty good stories that seem strangely forgotten or just lost in the mix such as "Darkness Calling" (a GREAT Green Goblin arc) and his Spider-Slayers and Sinister Six stories. He even had some nice shorter stories featuring the FF and Blob early in the Vol 2 relaunch. People also forget he did double duty when both titles were relaunched.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    That's a pretty fair statement; Mackie is still pretty low on my list of Spidey writers but he was on the book longer than people seem to recall, as you say, and wrote some pretty good stories that seem strangely forgotten or just lost in the mix such as "Darkness Calling" (a GREAT Green Goblin arc) and his Spider-Slayers and Sinister Six stories. He even had some nice shorter stories featuring the FF and Blob early in the Vol 2 relaunch. People also forget he did double duty when both titles were relaunched.
    Wasn't "Darkness Calling" the part of that Green Goblin crossover that Paul Jenkins wrote though? Mackie did write one part which was good, which had Norman transforming Peter into a Goblin.

I didn't care for his Spider-slayer, Sin Six or FF arcs on the books. Some of his issues on Pp:SM with JR Jr were pretty good, pre-reboot, like the one with Norman, Peter and Normie trapped in the elevator together.

Quote Originally Posted by OfTitansandTeleplays View Post
    I'm going a bit more into territory that there is RELENTLESS hate for online that I can not wrap my head around. Ultimate Spider-Man #49. It wasn't my first comic but it really cultivated my love for Spidey. It has nearly everything I love about the character and fascinated me with his world.
    2yuznlx.jpg
    Learning Curve did this kind of moment as well when Peter got Kingpin's attention and then started telling fat jokes. That moment in the last issue of SSM where Peter quips about Green Goblin's man purse? Very Bendis-esque.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Mackie had a prolific enough run (seven years of (Peter Parker) Spider-Man plus 29 issues of Amazing Spider-Man plus an year of Web of Spider-Man plus assorted specials and one-shots) that it's going to include some stuff. The majority of his run was also illustrated by top-tier talent. I do wonder what a better writer would have done with those opportunities.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Fantastic Member Ultimate Spider-Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Learning Curve did this kind of moment as well when Peter got Kingpin's attention and then started telling fat jokes. That moment in the last issue of SSM where Peter quips about Green Goblin's man purse? Very Bendis-esque.
    Ultimate Spider-Man and the Kingpin is one of my favorite hero-villain dynamics of all time. I still chuckle at the scene with him telling Fisk those fat jokes!

Fantastic Member Ultimate Spider-Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Mackie had a prolific enough run (seven years of (Peter Parker) Spider-Man plus 29 issues of Amazing Spider-Man plus an year of Web of Spider-Man plus assorted specials and one-shots) that it's going to include some stuff. The majority of his run was also illustrated by top-tier talent. I do wonder what a better writer would have done with those opportunities.
    It still boggles my mind that they kept him as the main writer after the relaunch. If the point is to fix some of the problems with the Spider-Man comics, why would you keep one of the writers who caused all of those problems to begin with?

Count me as one who likes One More Day. I thought it was great.

Some more unpopular ones that I like are the ones with Peter's parents (the old one and the 90s one), Maximum Carnage (I don't get why anyone hates this one), and the last Steve Ditko story with Joe Smith the boxer.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I'm another one who liked all the totem stuff, Ezikiel was a fantastic character.

I'm going to toss in Spider-man: Reign. A thoroughly enjoyable read, although I kind of take it as a parody of TDKR (which I also love on many levels).

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
    Agreed. I loved when Mackie brought back the original Ox, and his Ghost Rider team-up issue was gold.

And I'll raise you by saying I loved "Revelations."
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000