Super Moderator

Default Alan Moore Launches Electricomics Digital Comics App

Alan Moore has announced the launch of Electricomics, a digital comics app featuring all-new work from Moore, Garth Ennis, Peter Hogan and more.

Full article here.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Sounds interesting. What license will the toolkit be under? I'm thinking the General Public License or some variant of it. Looking forward to this project as a whole and not just because I'm a fan of Moore and Ennis.

Thank you CBR, Alan Moore, Nemo and Garth Ennis is too good to pass up.

Cool!
    BB

Fantastic Member Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

I think it is nice that there will be another platform for comics to encourage more artists and writers to get their work to the public.

But when I see this quote: “Rather than simply transferring comic narrative from the page to the screen, we intend to craft stories expressly devised to test the storytelling limits of this unprecedented technology. To this end we are assembling teams of the most cutting edge creators in the industry and then allowing them input into the technical processes in order to create a new capacity for telling comic book stories." I have to laugh a little. New technologies haven't really changed stories much. Sure, there will be evolution, but I doubt one app will spark a revolution.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
    I have to laugh a little. New technologies haven't really changed stories much. Sure, there will be evolution, but I doubt one app will spark a revolution.

It's alto true that untile now application developers limited themselves in creating comic readers that follows the classic structure of a paper comic book. You could add motion, audio and visual fx and change the medium.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

It is basically hilarious that after years of griping about how the 20th century icons of superheroes don't work anymore and saying the 21st needs one of its own (after killing the main one of this generation with one from the 19th, 'natch) the first thing he's doing in his 'innovative' new platform is a Nemo story. Also, doesn't Garth Ennis count as someone who associated with Grant Morrison, what with the 1,000,000 issue of Hitman?

Wonder what Waid thinks?
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Also, doesn't Garth Ennis count as someone who associated with Grant Morrison, what with the 1,000,000 issue of Hitman?
    I don't think so. Even that issue wasn't much of a collaboration.
    BB

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    I don't think so. Even that issue wasn't much of a collaboration.
    Maybe I should have been clearer--associated by Alan Moore standards. Which are pretty low standards.
    Buh-bye

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Maybe I should have been clearer--associated by Alan Moore standards. Which are pretty low standards.
    Ennis and Moore have worked together in the past on various charity projects, most notably in 1999 for The Worm: The Longest Comic Strip in the World which benefited the Cartoon Art Trust and featured more British artistic legends than you can shake a stick at. I don't think that they're close, but they are cordial.

Ennis is close with Peter Hogan, who, as an editor, got Ennis his some of his earliest work in comics with Crisis. He also suggested Ennis write Strontium Dogs stories for 2000AD, a strip that Hogan had started after the death of Johnny Alpha but left due to editorial disputes. Hogan has been a significant champion for creator's rights in the UK market, especially in the '80s and '90s. He and Moore have long been friends, and Alan suggested that Hogan write any further ABC material once he left DC/Wildstorm for good. In fact, Moore has cited Hogan's excellent Resident Alien series at Dark Horse as one of the few contemporary comics he loves to follow.

Most pros seem to love Garth, though. From what I understand, he's a very agreeable and charming guy, and he seldom bad mouths anyone. Not surprising that he can be on good terms with both Alan and Grant. (Warren Ellis, who is a close friend of Garth's, is friends with both of them as well.)
    Last edited by FanboyStranger; 05-28-2014 at 04:36 PM.

BANNED

now i thought that Alan Moore was done with comics all together?

Formally: The Adventurer Jim Purcell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty View Post
    now i thought that Alan Moore was done with comics all together?
    Not sure where you got that idea. He's released at least one new League of Extraordinary Gentlemen graphic novel ever year for like... 4 years now.

Anyway...

“With Electricomics, we are hoping to address the possibilities of comic strips in this exciting new medium, in a way that they have never been addressed before.

“Rather than simply transferring comic narrative from the page to the screen, we intend to craft stories expressly devised to test the storytelling limits of this unprecedented technology.
    I just have to giggle at how much of an 'old man' quote this is. Like comic creators haven't been producing digital web comic strips that take advantage and push the limits of the digital medium for... 18 or 20 years now. I'm sure the legions of established and profitable web comic creators will love having Alan Moore come and show them how its done.

Cynicism aside, this sounds like it has a lot of potential. Trouble is... things are starting to get kind of crowded in terms of indie digital platforms. Between Thrillbent, and the kind of thing BKV is doing with The Private Eye, ComiXology Submit, etc... there are already a considerable number of options already available.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    ...........Most pros seem to love Garth, though. From what I understand, he's a very agreeable and charming guy, and he seldom bad mouths anyone. Not surprising that he can be on good terms with both Alan and Grant. (Warren Ellis, who is a close friend of Garth's, is friends with both of them as well.)
    Are you like Garth Ennis' dating agent?

J/K awesome to hear Garth is as good a guy as he is a writer (which is phenomenal) and no I don't want to date him though I would definitely pay for his drinks at a bar.

I just want this whole thing to really start pumping comics out.