Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member devinofthedead's Avatar

Default Nova For the Win

So I just started reading the new Nova series on Marvel U today, and WOW. I am very impressed. I've finished the first arc, and it was very good. I'm upset that I didn't start from when it started. Sam just seems like a great character. How is the Duggan stuff? I love his Deadpool stuff. I'm pretty sure I'm going to start picking this up. How are you guys liking it?

Powered By Gravity

I really like the book. The Duggan stuff is great!

I've dipped in and out, it didn't catch my attention until the most recent issue. I'll probably get the next couple of issues before deciding if I'm in for the long haul.

If you like issues 1-9 i dont have much for you. (of course the art was good though)

The Duggan stuff is good though, if not excellent, IMO.

Check out New Warriors. Its pretty good. Sam Alexander is in the group.

Book is in make or break zone for survival...how the Rider Question (in GOTG) and the mystery of Jesse/ Black Novas will be crucial to me staying on.
    Last edited by THANOSRULES; 05-30-2014 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by devinofthedead View Post
    So I just started reading the new Nova series on Marvel U today, and WOW. I am very impressed. I've finished the first arc, and it was very good. I'm upset that I didn't start from when it started. Sam just seems like a great character. How is the Duggan stuff? I love his Deadpool stuff. I'm pretty sure I'm going to start picking this up. How are you guys liking it?
    Glad to hear that another fan of Nova has arrived on the scene. And you are right that Sam is in fact a great character. This book is by far my favorite title featuring a solo character at Marvel. Duggan's been a great fit with Sam since he took over writing the series. Look forward to your input on the Nova issue threads down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by THANOSRULES View Post
    If you like issues 1-9 i dont have much for you. (of course the art was good though)
    The original poster clearly enjoyed the first story arc and has praised it by starting this thread. Not everyone has disdain for Loeb and Wells when it comes to their take on all things Nova and actually enjoyed it. Another reader and fan has sprung up which to me is a good thing for this medium.

I love whenever Loeb and McGuiness team up. (I love Red Hulk) I don't see why people always hate on them.

I love whenever Loeb and McGuiness team up. (I love Red Hulk) I don't see why people always hate on them.
    Well if your asking why..here you go! (bTW no hate at all for Ed MCG..he is great)

On Jeff Loeb..

- He eviscerated the Ultimate Universe at its absolute Zenith of popularity. I was a big fan up until then and disliked his stuff with no prior bias.
    - I do not like the Red Hulk, but was a huge fan of Pak's run on Hulk prior to this. The A-bomb type stuff was cringe worthy.
    - He was instrumental in banishing my favorite character of all time.(Richard Rider, the Nova for 36 years prior)
    - (in light of above) He claimed to be making a huge commitment to the new Nova (even naming Sam after his deceased son) and left after 5 decompressed issues that were frankly cliche and generic (great art though, I admit).
    There was literally nothing I identified with or saw in Sam during issues 1-9 that gave me any idea he was a real person or had any redeeming qualities.

BTW Since issue #10 , I said that i did like the work of Gerry DUGGAN..and the book has picked up. Duggan has gone out of his way to show Sam as a relatable, growing and learning kid.(Yost has done a good job with him in New Warriors as well) The Beta Ray arc was great, and this last standalone issue was very strong. Duggan is also trying to acknowledge continuity and building a nice supporting cast of characters for Sam that are not cliche characters snaked out of 80s sci fic movies (like the principal from Back to the future) ..so I agree with you its a good book...however the fact that Rider has been dumped is a big obstacle from me ever truly embracing it.
    Last edited by THANOSRULES; 05-30-2014 at 07:12 PM.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I think Duggan is doing a good job with it at the moment, and I do think Sam is a good character.

I can see why you would have a problem with it Thanos. I never read too much Nova before, I think he was in some Annihilation stuff I read a few years back. What exactly happened to him and the Corps? And when did it happen? I'm really looking forward to the Duggan stuff. I may even pick up some issues tomorrow when I go to my LCS.

BANNED

It would be nice to have a Nova thread without Rich being brought up.
    Specifically when it's a thread about a new reader who just took interest in the current title.

We have three other threads where the loss of the former Nova can be lamented.

As for the book, I've been loving the hell out of it since it started.
    Keep on reading man and pay no attention to those who say otherwise.
    Read what you like, it's more fun that way.

Who is the editor of the book now? I know is was Wacker but he left didn't he?

BANNED

Who is the editor of the book now? I know is was Wacker but he left didn't he?
    Ellie Pyle and Nick Lowe.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    It would be nice to have a Nova thread without Rich being brought up.
    Specifically when it's a thread about a new reader who just took interest in the current title.

We have three other threads where the loss of the former Nova can be lamented.

As for the book, I've been loving the hell out of it since it started.
    Keep on reading man and pay no attention to those who say otherwise.
    Read what you like, it's more fun that way.
    a. I said I liked the Duggan direction..with some caveats. I'm not a total hater.
    b. whats the point of this thread then? OP comes on to say he likes "the whole package" essentially, and how does everybody else like it? Is that strictly an opinion (or is this thread) reserved for people who like it?, and if somebody doesnt like "everything about it"..wouldnt it be reasonable for the person (Aka ME) to explain why? If you had a time machine and went back to 1988 its like asking everyone how they like that Captain America? And asked people then not to discuss Steve Rogers! (the vastly unpopular John Walker was cap at the time)

c. I agree though...about going into that Ad Nauseaum..i tried to do good and limit it. Mostly i choose to think about how we can make things work going forward...which does include bring back Rich and DOES NOT include killing off Poochie..I mean SAM.

d. The fact that people are unhappy with the direction is not something everybody can hide from. The book has bled readers and continues to do so...22k or so now .."cancellation range" ..its better we focus on what went wrong and how do we go forward with Nova....and why fringe Nova fans dislike the book is relevant.

with the sales the way they are..i dont really even care about who buys the book. I've been buying it, i was never one of the "dont buy this crowd" I love Nova and want to know what is going on with him no matter what. I've liked other legacy heroes such as Blue Beetle and Wally West , Anyway with the sales situation its kind of already been a battle fought and won by the Rider fans. This book isnt going to bounce back without, essentially appeasing the "larger than we all thought" fans of the DnA series...and so this HAS become a long line of very unpopular Jeff Loeb moves at marvel. I do feel the man's stuff has destroyed some of the rich vibrance and tradition and has not even bothered to stick around to pick up the pieces or make amends.

e. Oh BTW John Walker turned out to be one of my favorite characters of all time, I am a fan of what Sam can be. (but when this happens LOEB wont deserve a lick of credit)
    Last edited by THANOSRULES; 05-31-2014 at 06:32 AM.

BANNED

I can see why you would have a problem with it Thanos. I never read too much Nova before, I think he was in some Annihilation stuff I read a few years back. What exactly happened to him and the Corps? And when did it happen? I'm really looking forward to the Duggan stuff. I may even pick up some issues tomorrow when I go to my LCS.
    Richard Rider, Starlord, and Thanos were left trapped behind in the Cancerverse and assumed dead at the end of Thanos Imperative. Drax the Destroyer had also been killed
    in the same story. When Marvel launched Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova, Richard was the only one who didn't come back. Fans over-reacted, as usual, and many of the
    Nova fans got into heated arguments with Steve Wacker on these boards about the lack of explanation of his whereabouts. Personally, I think that's one reason it's taken so
    long to be addressed, but it is supposed to be happening soon.

Despite me ribbing you for liking issues 1-9..I am glad new Nova fans are being made..you should check out the annhilation stuff..great stuff, although vastly different and the art in the Nova Prologue is not for everybody. Thanos Imperitive is DnA's masterpiece. That explains most of what happened to the corps...but the Nova issues of the DnA series, especially the War of Kings stuff...explains why we readers bonded with them so much!

Personally I feel like some real good Nova stories could be just around the corner. The GOTG movie is going to be a big hit and pump up interest..and we could get some new writers interested. I'd love to see more Mark Waid writing Nova Corps books...he's written Original SIn #0 and an AvX digital issue of Nova that were all very good. If you go back some, I loved his take on cosmic sotries in Issues 1-20 of the old CrossGen series SIGIL...which marvel owns....it would be so awesome to see Waid write Nova Corps and bring the Saurians into the Marvel 616 fold as some hyper aggressive strain of the Badoon...
    Last edited by THANOSRULES; 05-31-2014 at 07:01 AM.