Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nova -- Any good?

Concerning checking out the new NOVA series. Is it worth checking out?

Yeah I'd say it's pretty good, although it really becomes great once Duggan took over in issue 10. He's no where near as powerful as Richard but Sam's a lot of fun to watch, even of he does screw up a lot.

I'd say the best part of the series was issue 13 to 16 where he teamed up with Beta Ray Bill.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member

I really enjoy it, its a fun read. And I like Sam.

CoffeeCup,

Please check out this older thread about coming aboard to reading Nova when you have a chance. It will give you a better picture of what many posters around here think of Nova (and well beyond).

http://community.comicbookresources....va-For-the-Win

its really struggled and had mostly Downs to a few Ups. Duggan's Beta Ray Bill Arc was pretty good, but everything else has IMO been somewhat of a mess. The initial stuff is very decompressed and generic. its always had some solid artwork...the earl Mcguniess stuff is very nice.

I have additional and extensive comments about this on the below Rich Rider Blog I run.

Some hardcore Rich Rider fans (the original Nova who this Nova replaced) have been very outspoken about this series.

All I can say is it really depends what you like ...the impression from fans has been really mixed and leaning toward Negative.

I recently decided I was going to drop the book after next issue...
    Last edited by THANOSRULES; 08-18-2014 at 10:52 AM.

Loved Rich Rider, and the little I saw of the new kid really didn't do it for me. Mistly his story negates and contradicts a whole lot that was previously established with Rider, so, to avoid getting confused and frustrated, I prefered avoiding it all together. Also, I fin
    d the new kid kind of annoying.
    However, my deslike for the character doesn't begin to compare with this guy's:

http://comics.cosmicbooknews.com/con...nova-special-1

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 08-18-2014 at 12:35 PM.

Taken on its own merits, it's pretty decent. If you just want a comic about a teen space hero with a little action and a little humor, it has you covered.

That said, in a broader context, I don't know if it holds up. I don't mean in comparison to the previous Nova series (name and "legacy" aside, it's trying to do a completely different thing), but something along the lines of DC's Blue Beetle or Cartoon Network's Ben 10.

BANNED

I only read the first twelve issues. It was horrible to start and went through three creative teams in the first twelve issues. It was marginally better with the last team but I have no interest in trying this out again. I have no interest in another teen hero coming of age story and the entire book appears to have no respect for continuity.

Its also consistently one of Marvel's 5 worst selling books so its probably going to be cancelled soon.

BANNED

If you want a book that's usually pretty entertaining and don't take comics so seriously, Nova is a fine way to pass 15-20 minutes of your day. It depends on whether you're
    pretty easy-going or a tightwad, like so many people here.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    If you want a book that's usually pretty entertaining and don't take comics so seriously, Nova is a fine way to pass 15-20 minutes of your day. It depends on whether you're
    pretty easy-going or a tightwad, like so many people here.
    15-20 minutes? The only comic I can imagine ever taking me that long to read would be an Alan Moore one because I'd be looking for all the hidden meanings in everything. Most comics are about 5-6 minutes for me and Nova only about 3 since its so light on substance.

Highly enjoyed it, Nice supporting cast and sam is pretty likeable

the new nva semms a brat, but I have only read a couple of issues. Nova-lite doesn't interest me any more that Lite beer

BANNED

20 issues in and we still have no idea of this Novas powers and abilities.....but we know he can argue a lot with Mom, about taking out the trash.

For Gawds sake, stop this nonsense and bring Richard Rider back.
    Last edited by blakkrussian; 08-18-2014 at 11:42 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    15-20 minutes? The only comic I can imagine ever taking me that long to read would be an Alan Moore one because I'd be looking for all the hidden meanings in everything. Most comics are about 5-6 minutes for me and Nova only about 3 since its so light on substance.
    Ha. So true.