Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mikekerr3 View Post

Here at least the kids are other than victims and playthings to a monster, and that solves my problem with Arena
    yeah, I didn't enjoy arena :/ particularly that x-23 was put in it. They seriously need to stop making every bad thing happen to Laura, especially as it undid all the character progress she'd been making.

Just read issue #3... yeah, pretty darn sure I'm in for the long run, ADORED it! More Zemo next issue fills me with joy! Anachronism is definitely my favourite, followed by Nico then Cullen... then Hazmat. The only one I don't enjoy is Chase (never much of a fan of him during Runaways, to be fair).

Spectacular Member

I hate to say this, but despite a less controversial premise and a tighter cast, this title's numbers don't bode well. In April issue 3 sold 21,830 copies. Compare that to issue 18 of Arena, which only sold 20,482. I think this sequel series is destined for a 12 issue run unless we see it pick up substantial sales and/or critical acclaim.

Quote Originally Posted by Zartan's Brother View Post
    I hate to say this, but despite a less controversial premise and a tighter cast, this title's numbers don't bode well. In April issue 3 sold 21,830 copies. Compare that to issue 18 of Arena, which only sold 20,482. I think this sequel series is destined for a 12 issue run unless we see it pick up substantial sales and/or critical acclaim.
    I hope it lasts longer. This is by far the book I'm most interested in from anything Marvel is bringing out right now.

I took a chance on Avengers Arena. I heard a lot of bad things about it and, while that didn't influence me, I still didn't really care about a marvel battle royale parody. But I heard some of the Runaways were in it and gave it a go, I was totally surprised when I loved every moment of it. There was a lot of great character development and interaction. Even though I'm not a big fan of heavy action scenes in comics, the ones the Arena had seemed really cool (probably down to the great art as well). Overall a great series that came out of nowhere.

So I continued onto Undercover and so far I'm really enjoying this as well. There's a lot of over the top, theatrical ridiculousness and I love it.

I still disagree with the writers representation of the Runaways in both Arena and Undercover. At the end of arena, there's a moment where Nico and Chase suddenly give up their morals and get with the killing, the runaways have been through far worse and never resorted to hurting anyone who didn't have it coming. And I really don't like Chase's image change in undercover. I feel like the Runaways have just been taken on face value, Chase as an over the top idiot and Nico as a moody bitch. They aren't like that at all and I still can't buy that "Arcade drove them to this".

That's just a minor negative though, aside from all that I am still enjoying it. Looking forward to the next issue!

Anybody else see this solicitation from comicvine for issue 9

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/ex...9/1100-148796/

Looks like the Avengers aren't just going to let these kids join the Masters of evil without a fight. Also the cover really reminds me of Attack on Titan.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

I'm looking forward to that! Avengers vs MoE is cool in itself but with the survivors in the middle!? Can see Cullen backing the MoE and the Cammi leaning towards the Avengers. The rest, I'm not so sure.
    Is that Pym? I didn't realise he was currently part of an Avengers team.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    I'm looking forward to that! Avengers vs MoE is cool in itself but with the survivors in the middle!? Can see Cullen backing the MoE and the Cammi leaning towards the Avengers. The rest, I'm not so sure.
    Is that Pym? I didn't realise he was currently part of an Avengers team.
    Pym involved no doubt due to his former students being in there. He's not on any team currently.

Looking forward to the buildup and fallout of this fight.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post

Looks like the Avengers aren't just going to let these kids join the Masters of evil without a fight. Also the cover really reminds me of Attack on Titan.
    Hahha funny thought the same thing.

Oh my goodness, I LOVE THIS!!! Also, the last time Zemo dealt with Pym was SkrullPym in Civil War. Wonder if that will come up in the issue?

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
    Pym involved no doubt due to his former students being in there. He's not on any team currently.

Looking forward to the buildup and fallout of this fight.
    Ah yeah, of course. I wonder if that means the other teachers/headmasters (Cap Britain!) will be involved or does Pym just get help from his Avenger buddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post

What got you on board? X-Force? I really liked his Legion of Monsters mini. I find it strange that someone would dislike Arena and then enjoy AU but to each their own I guess.
    Arwan was a cheap derivative rip-off of Hunger games and Battle Royal without i even the excuse of social commentary, just the exploitation of better work. Fictional Kids being mistreated simply for the "let's ride some else's bandwagon for profit factor' doesn't interest me. AU is telling a new story, AA was just a tired rehash of better stories with spandex.

Fantastic Member Venom Melendez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daken View Post
    yeah, I didn't enjoy arena :/ particularly that x-23 was put in it. They seriously need to stop making every bad thing happen to Laura, especially as it undid all the character progress she'd been making.
    No it didn't, Laura was one of the one that avoided starting fights and she was one of the ones looking for a peaceful solution and only fought if she had no other choice. So Arena didn't undo her character progression, it stayed true to it. Seariously, Laura was written very well in Arena.

I really am interested on what Pym has to say to the kids.
    Last edited by Venom Melendez; 05-20-2014 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zartan's Brother View Post
    I think those numbers are in line with Marvel's plan. With the exception of the first issue of course, Undercover is being treated as Avengers Arena #19, #20, #21, etc. by the fans. I think is normal that the people who stayed this far would be the ones buying the comic, kinda like what is happening to Hulk from Waid.

Anyways, I think 12 issues is enough to properly finish this story. Maybe 13 would be better to give that final arc at least 3 issues, but 12 is fine by me.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Venom Melendez View Post
    I really am interested on what Pym has to say to the kids.
    fiver says he's ignored because of not investigating enough/ultron/olde faithful