Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Classic AND Collected Spy Comics

I was wondering if you guys could point me in the direction of some good spy series. Especially in a nice hardcover (my favourite way to read)

I'm a fan of Secret Warriors and Secret Avengers, but I'd like to more. And some stuff a little more along the lines of a true spy story.

Sleeper is AMAZING! Nick Fury vs. Shield very fun. You listed Superhero spy stuff so those two best fit the bill off the top of my head.

For more realistic try Queen and Country vol.1, at some point I stopped reading but enjoyed the early work quite a bit.
    Last edited by Tony; 05-04-2014 at 08:03 PM.

Does Spy vs. Spy count?
    Peace, Love, and Tacos

i second queen and country

coldest city by antony johnston

and if you liked secret warriors, check out 'checkmate' from greg rucka at DC, similar type super-hero espionage stuff
    formerly 'weeks'

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Buy the Sleeper omnibus, it's generally considered the best Dc/Wilddtorm/Vertigo hardcover and the content is also amazing, Brubaker at his best. You may also like Brubaker's Captain America
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

captain-america

there is some james bond comics on ebay

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Smoke by Alex DeCampi and Igor Kordey.

It's not truly a spy comic, but I'd also recommend checking out John Wagner and Arthur Ranson's Button Man series from 2000AD.

Casanova by Fraction
    Human Target by Peter Milligan
    Super Spy by Matt Kindt

The latter two aren't collected in hardcovers and Human Target isn't even collected fully. I'm sorry, OP. Casanova has a hardcover collecting the Image issues and it's going back to Image again so it'll most likely get new hardcovers when new material will come up in the future.
    BB

Amazing Member

If you're OK with Manga, I'd recommend Golgo 13... he's an assassin, rather than a spy, but it's close enough .

Astonishing Member

Jim Steranko's Nick Fury Agent of SHIELD is the gold standard of spy comics.

SpyBoy had had a least a few of its arcs (The M.A.N.G.A. Affair, Final Exam and Young Spies Like Us [a crossover with Young Justice]) collected, and is an absolute hoot.

Thanks guys! You're awesome. I am starting with Sleeper. Ordered it just now. Then I'll go from there.
    Last edited by Canucked; 05-06-2014 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Error

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Most don't think of it as a spy comic, and for much of the earliest issues, it's not, and for its later years it wasn't as engaging, but through the Doug Moench/Mike Zeck years, Master of Kung Fu was a superb spy comic, sometimes deeply realistic, sometimes deeply fantastic, most times grippingly engaging, due its intense focus on the characters' relationships to one another and to spycraft.

I also enjoyed Queen and Country for a long while, but let it go on without me; I'm just starting Sleeper, myself, as a a big Brubaker fan; an older series called Silencers was much like Queen & Country; and I enjoyed Casanova and Golgo 13, too!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Canucked View Post
    Thanks guys! You're awesome. I am starting with Sleeper. Ordered it just now. Then I'll go from there.
    Hope you like it! Let us know what you think of it
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Hope you like it! Let us know what you think of it
    I got it this past week, and so far I've only read the prologue issues, "Point Blank." I like it a lot so far. It's exactly what I look for in comics. Something a little more toned down, so that the bigger events are more punctuated.

I bought the book completely blind, off recommendations from this forum only. Didn't read a synopsis or the amazon page. I didn't know it was connected to the Wildstorm universe. I only read bits and pieces of Wildstorm in the 90s, never really caught on with me. I'm very patchy with Wild C.A.T.S and am only aware of The Authority, but I'm fine reading the book as an isolated experience.

Can't wait to get into the meat of the book.