Page 1 of 72 123451151 ... LastLast

Default On a Wing and a Prayer: Hawkman Appreciation!

DC Forum Appreciation Thread rules:

1) No negative comments about the honoree of this thread. It's an appreciation thread, not a non-appreciation one.

2) No negative discussion about any competitors of the honoree of this thread (i.e. John Stewart in the Hal Jordan thread). No ifs, ands, or buts. Find another non-appreciation thread to do that, just not here.

3) No negative comments about other versions of the character. For example, if you like the DCU version of Cyborg, but hate the DCnU version (or visa versa), just appreciate the earlier version and keep your comments about the latter to yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It just wouldn't feel quite right around here without a place to show our appreciation for the Winged Wonder himself, Hawkman! Share your favorite pictures, story arcs, lines, or whatever involving the Pinioned Paladin! What made you a fan, and what would you like to see done with the character in the future? Hopes or ideas for a movie? I know have some! So let's get down to Nth Metal tacks and start talking Hawkman!

Note: Hippies with gaudy goatees and green leotards not welcome.
    Last edited by Hawkman; 01-05-2018 at 11:29 AM.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

In the Great Appreciation Thread Rush of 2014, I'm glad to see you got to start the Hawkman one!
    Last edited by SJNeal; 04-30-2014 at 09:07 PM.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Great thread.
    I'm highly looking forward to what Jeff Lemire has in store for Hawkman and Thanagar.

Spectacular Member

Hawkman is easily one of my favorite DC heroes. So underrated, so much wasted potential. Can't wait to see what Lemire does with him.

My love of Hawkman began with Carter Hall in All-Star Squadron. I remember seeing him on the splash page for issue 1 and just begig amazed at how cool he looked. I managed to find some B&W reprints of the Joe Kubert's Hawkman and didn't even realise at first that they were completely different characters. I soon came to love both Hawkmen and their respective partners.

I've always been partial to the Carter Hall Hawkman as well and even liked his goofy Golden Age look!

Of course the above drawings are pretty damn impressive!
    I see everyone's fate but my own. Sometimes that scares me. But when I see the future of someone such as yourself, I believe in tomorrow again

Staff writer at www.impulsegamer.com

Astonishing Member

Why can no-one write him? He's basically a flying batman with extra strength.

Is it his appearance? Is he too Flash Gordon?

I sometimes wonder if Hawkman has a future. Oddly, I sure Hawkwoman does in this modern DCU.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Why can no-one write him? He's basically a flying batman with extra strength.

Is it his appearance? Is he too Flash Gordon?

I sometimes wonder if Hawkman has a future. Oddly, I sure Hawkwoman does in this modern DCU.
    We will find out soon enough. Lemire has some Hawk-centric issues coming up in Justice League United. Personally, I'm hoping he goes full blown Thanagarian and ditches the museum curating archeologist angle...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    We will find out soon enough. Lemire has some Hawk-centric issues coming up in Justice League United. Personally, I'm hoping he goes full blown Thanagarian and ditches the museum curating archeologist angle...
    Same here. Full blown Thanagarian ftw. I'm actually really interested to see if Hawkman can form a solid relationship or two while on JL United.

jellydill

marvelanddccomicssuck.jpg
    Man i fucking love Hawkman in New 52 JLA, Johns Hawkman run and JSA, any other recs?

Quote Originally Posted by jellydill View Post
    Man i fucking love Hawkman in New 52 JLA, Johns Hawkman run and JSA, any other recs?
    I'm always quick to recommend Legend of the Hawkman by Ben Raab and Michael Lark. It's a great story that's sadly often neglected when the subject of Hawkman recommendations comes up.

Tim Truman's Hawkworld continues to be my favorite single comic book--never mind Hawkman--story to this day. Definitely worth reading, whether you're a Hawkman fan or not. I'm hoping--since Jeff Lemire made mention of it in an interview--more than a few of Truman's concepts make the transition to The New 52 by way of Justice League United soon.

The great majority of the Silver Age Hawkman material is worth reading, too, although it's obviously going to be lighter than any of the more contemporary stuff. Lots of fun, though, and a lot of it can be cheaply purchased through the Showcase Presents format.

Finally, Tony Isabella's The Shadow War of Hawkman, followed by the first ten issues of the subsequent ongoing (Hawkman, Vol. 2), both offer a more modern take on the whacky concepts of the Silver Age. Isabella's run is one of my favorite interpretations of the Hawks relationship, too.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

Anyone else have a preference on Hawkman's helmet/eye style? I really dig the solid white eyes, but the recent trend seems to be Hawkman sporting a cutout flesh-eye look.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Legend of the Hawkman is that 3 issue Elseworlds tale, correct? If so, I really loved how that one fleshed out Katar and Shayera's differences in their connections to their homeworld.
    I also loved Shadow War and the series that followed, it was such an interesting plot (that I believe was a strong influence in Hawkgirl's animated tale) and quite an underrated gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon23 View Post
    My love of Hawkman began with Carter Hall in All-Star Squadron. I remember seeing him on the splash page for issue 1 and just begig amazed at how cool he looked.
    Me too! Roy Thomas wrote an awesome Hawkman. I was always disappointed that his Earth One counterpart was so lame. That is, until Hawkworld came along. As much as I liked the reincarnation aspect of Carter Hall, if we can get a decently written Hawkman from Lemire, I'd be happy.

His costume still needs tweaking though. I prefer him to have a bit more armour a la his Young Justice look, or his armour in the Future's End Solicits.

Hawkman.jpg hawk2.jpg