Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default How is Heroes In Crisis doing, in your opinion?

Heroes In Crisis seems to be a case of a good idea that is not being executed to its fullest potential, IMO. I thought that it would be an examination of how superheroes handle trauma and getting help, but it has turned into a boring murder mystery that has killed off characters that most people did not want dead. Also, it seems to be a case of characters being dumbed down for the sake of plot, as in the case of Booster Gold. What a disappointment.

Awfully.... Absolutely Awfully
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

A Glorified trainwreck.

Outside of Mann's art I would say it has been very disappointing. It is a highlight reel of all the things that make events like this terrible stories. Bad characterizations, contrived drama and tension, and needless killing of characters to just piss fans off.

Always Rakzo

Worse than expected actually.

And my expectations were pretty low already.

Amazing Member

Not much has happened so far at issue 3 of 9. I have to wait a bit longer to form my opinion, but I think it has potential if the series picks up momentum.

To me it's been amazing. The things that many are disappointed aren't happening are happening, IMO, in the testimonies/interviews and in the simulated therapies. Lagoon Boy's story rang so true with me. So did Wally's in his simulation. I'm only mentioning a few.

As I've said about King's Batman I think the full story will be regarded to have been much better than the responses to each single issue as it comes out.

I'm very sensitive to the loss of so many VERY beloved characters but I'm waiting for the story to be complete before I weigh in about that, except to say nobody is more saddened or upset to read about the [probable] deaths of Wally, Roy, Ivy, and so many others. Not saying I'm more saddened or upset; saying I think I'm equally so. And still I appreciate everything that's happened so far.

I think some may be failing to account for the concept of the 'unreliable narrator.' In the HiC mystery thread a lot have pointed out the various sorts of misdirection that are evident in the series to date if one takes the time to look for them.

Some are responding to what seems to be happening though we have great reasons to doubt a lot of what's happening on the surface.

Just one example: Many believe Harley hit Wally over the head with the hammer. The final panel of #3 casts doubt on that.

The main thing I'm counseling friends that are upset about the series so far is to wait, because nothing is more clear to me than the fact that nothing is as it seems so far.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJudge95 View Post
    Not much has happened so far at issue 3 of 9. I have to wait a bit longer to form my opinion, but I think it has potential if the series picks up momentum.
    Check the mystery thread (it's fallen far off the front page I believe) to see just how much happened in #1-3 that was missed by many readers including, in most cases, myself.

Not very good. And its not even about the deaths for me. I have major issues with the way the tale was set up from the word go, to what I perceive as unearned and as a result OOC portrayals of key characters in the series. A couple examples is that I felt it was a major mistake to not introduce us to Sanctuary well before this event, to get us familiar and invested in the setting, as the tragedy there is the backbone of the story. Without any investment in the place and what it was doing for these in-need heroes, what happened rings really hollow outside of just feeling bad a couple big name heroes died. But for my money it is a very poor series thus far. And King introduced this Booster's Gold's bordering-on-insane personality during his Batman run and it was completely out of nowhere. The character had been fine last we saw him so it made no sense to suddenly say that he was this mentally disturbed. It wasn't built up as an issue, so it comes across as incredibly out of character.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-29-2018 at 04:13 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Terrible. King wasted a good concept to peddle his trauma motiff/fetish. He'll traumatize the characters he writes but has no idea of how to have them overcome their trauma. Then there's all the character assassination literally and figuratively that's going on.

It's likely going to be one of the most hated DC events in years.

It isn't developing fast enough for me. I'll have to get the full story before I make an informed opinion. The art is great, the ideas are interesting and there are some good moments, the pacing just isn't doing it for me.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Hey! (New to CBR, first post!)...

I really love the series. Have been re-reading the issues and every time I'm more impressed with the structure. There are aspects of the mystery that feel like Twin Peaks to me (the small town diners, Booster Gold's doppelganger) and TP is IMO the gold standard for a perfect, moody mystery. Every issue really leans into the pathos of the murders showing human sides of the heroes in refreshing ways which makes the leaking of Sanctuary information so interesting. It makes me wonder what the endgame/ universe changing moments of the series will be-- will all their civilian identities be revealed? Will heroes be given more space to deal with the mental health once the world knows they feel real pain?

I've never been a huge fan of Harley, but I love her in this series. She positioned as a villain (she's my #1 suspect) which I think works more for her character but is still funny, mischievous, but with great emotional layering. A story set in essentially a mental health facility is the perfect story for Harley considering her background. Part of me thinks this is all setting up Harley taking over Sanctuary in the end of this and getting back in touch with her background in psychology. I think Harley's confessional from issue 1 was either recorded after the murders or after all the events of the series.. I think it has some clues as to where this all leaves her.

I'm very interested to see what becomes of Ivy in all this. She's one of my favorite Batman villains and I actually think this series is setting up something big for her-- being reborn in the green, etc. I suspect the Mitch Gerads' issue (like the Weeks issue) will focus on Arsenal, Ivy, and Harley pre-murders like #3 did LB, WW, and BG. So I'm really looking forward to that background story.

Anyways... I'm really moved by this series. It feels personal and intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    It's likely going to be one of the most hated DC events in years.
    My feelings for pretty much the entire current DCU. It’s appalling and utterly disgusting what Didio has turned this universe into.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I enjoy the story, though I can understand why people don’t.