Page 10 of 72 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast
    Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

I picked up #1 and 2 of Geoff's Hawkman run. Good read so far, ordered a few more back issues online.

I just find Hawkman's design to be so awesome.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

I agree that Hawkman has a great look. His wings always provide for a great visual and his use of such archaic weaponry adds to the look. I like the Hawkman carries with him a very rugged and gruff persona and I think he makes for one of the better aggressive and violent DC heroes.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

i also like hawkman's design. although when it comes to his wings, i tend to favor archangel's more. i think warren's wings are more practical and efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    i also like hawkman's design. although when it comes to his wings, i tend to favor archangel's more. i think warren's wings are more practical and efficient.
    If Hawkman and Hawkgirl ever do make it to film (God willing), I would to like to see the filmmakers go the <i>Legion</i> route for their wings. For those that aren't familiar with that film, the angels' wings in it were razor-sharp and used as weapons as well as for flying. I think this would be perfect for the Hawks, especially if--like Katar in the comics now--their wings are a manifestation of the Nth Metal.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Finally caught up on my reading earlier tonight, and it appears as if Hawkman's look from Futures End might be the mainstay in contemporary DCU as well. How does everyone feel about that prospect?

As far as clothed Hawkman goes, I like it a lot. Not quite as much as his look from Young Justice, where I thought both he and Hawkwoman looked fantastic, but it's still a really good outfit. And I'm anxious to learn if there's anything special about the mace, as it appears to have somewhat of a glow or sheen to it. Could just be another extension of the Nth Metal, however.

That said, I'll be kind of bummed if his shirtless look goes out the window entirely. Perhaps this could be his "cosmic outfit," if you will, while the bare-chested warrior motif remains for the more grounded missions. This new costume is a great, more traditional superhero look for the character--one of the best he's ever had, in my opinion--but it doesn't convey the same rugged sense of savagery that the traditional harness-on-flesh costume has always portrayed.
    Reminds me of the Golden Eagle and (to a much lesser degree) Silver Scarab legacy characters of the Hawk Family.

goldeneagle_whos_80s.jpg

For my money, I prefer my Hawkman savage, mostly bearchested (woof) and heavily accessorized with archaic/alien weaponry as needed.

2096541-543234_hawkman10.jpg

BANNED

It sucks how Hawkman doesn't get another chance at a relaunch title.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    Same here, but I'd much rather they take their time and get a good creative team, out of the relaunches so far Deathstroke seems to be the only decent one. Well Grayson too if you count that as a relaunch.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Reminds me of the Golden Eagle and (to a much lesser degree) Silver Scarab legacy characters of the Hawk Family.

goldeneagle_whos_80s.jpg
    That's a pretty good comparison. Personally, it reminds me a lot of this fan-made redesign from a couple of years ago that I always liked:

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    For my money, I prefer my Hawkman savage, mostly bearchested (woof) and heavily accessorized with archaic/alien weaponry as needed.

2096541-543234_hawkman10.jpg
    I'm inclined to agree with you, but DC seem to be trying "cinematize," if you will, their characters lately. The "new look"--assuming it is indeed here to say--will probably have a better chance of translating well to film than the bare-chested one.

I'm hoping they're just putting it off till the end of Futures End, and possibly Convergence. Between those two events, I get the impression several continuity snafus left over from the relaunch will be ironed out. Not that Hawkman really has a whole lot of continuity issues now, but I do think DC went into the New 52 without as clear-cut of an outline for the character as they really should have had. He's already in a lot better place now in Lemire's hands, though, and I suspect he'll be that much better off in the months to come.
    - Justice League #17

BANNED

I did like the short lived Hawkman book, but it could've been better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    That's a pretty good comparison. Personally, it reminds me a lot of this fan-made redesign from a couple of years ago that I always liked:

I'm inclined to agree with you, but DC seem to be trying "cinematize," if you will, their characters lately. The "new look"--assuming it is indeed here to say--will probably have a better chance of translating well to film than the bare-chested one.

I'm hoping they're just putting it off till the end of Futures End, and possibly Convergence. Between those two events, I get the impression several continuity snafus left over from the relaunch will be ironed out. Not that Hawkman really has a whole lot of continuity issues now, but I do think DC went into the New 52 without as clear-cut of an outline for the character as they really should have had. He's already in a lot better place now in Lemire's hands, though, and I suspect he'll be that much better off in the months to come.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Hawkman's bare chested look is distinguished. He stands out compared a lot of the other male heroes in the Justice League who are pretty much covered completely below their necks.

I really hope they don't mess with Hawkman's continuity too much between Future's End and Convergence because that sort of thing doesn't end well for the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    Same here, but I'd much rather they take their time and get a good creative team, out of the relaunches so far Deathstroke seems to be the only decent one. Well Grayson too if you count that as a relaunch.
    Agreed on both counts. I would love for Hawkman to get relaunched as he has so much potential as a character. However I would only want this to happen if a great creative team was behind it. Hawkman deserves a great artist and writer combination.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    Agreed on both counts. I would love for Hawkman to get relaunched as he has so much potential as a character. However I would only want this to happen if a great creative team was behind it. Hawkman deserves a great artist and writer combination.
    And hopefully they'll have Hawkman and the Thanagarians play a bigger part in the DCU, like the lanterns.

New Hawkman statue on the way from Pop Culter Shock, according to ToyArk.

About time. I'm been waiting years for a new Hawkman statue to hit the market. I realize he's not exactly a cash cow for DC, but it seems like the only statues I've bought in the last five years were of Hawkgirl. With such a great look, you'd think Hawkman would've gotten at a couple since the Joe Kubert one from 2001. Even a vinyl one would have bee better than nothing.
    - Justice League #17

Hawkman's Convergence series has now been formally announced:

HAWKMAN
    Writer: Jeff Parker
    Artists: Tim Truman and Enrique Alcatena
    Colorist: John Kalisz
    Hawkman and Hawkgirl put their Shadow War on hold as they face the anthropomorphic might of rat-men and bat-men in the deadly land of Kamandi!
    Along with a sneak peek of the artwork:

Sounds like a continuation of the Tony Isabella era The Shadow War of Hawkman mini-series that led into Hawkman Volume 3. Nice choice. That's arguably the best ongoing plot line Hawkman and Hawkgirl have ever had, in my opinion.

Anyway, it looks great. And what a creative team. Wow! Can't wait!
    - Justice League #17

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    Hawkman's bare chested look is distinguished. He stands out compared a lot of the other male heroes in the Justice League who are pretty much covered completely below their necks.
    hawkman-arrow-tv-show-we-crave-hawkman-onomatopoeia-and-more.jpg

In a field rife with cheesecake touches to female characters, I'm happy to see some beefcake for balance. Cinematically, I look to how often Hugh Jackman's Wolverine or Henry Cavill's Superman were gloriously shirtless. Throw a Joe Mangianello, Jackman, or Henry Cavill workout body in the suit rather than trying to cover up Katar/Carter. I don't think audiences will complain.

Hawkman_Smallville-8.jpg