Page 11 of 72 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Sounds like a continuation of the Tony Isabella era The Shadow War of Hawkman mini-series that led into Hawkman Volume 3. Nice choice. That's arguably the best ongoing plot line Hawkman and Hawkgirl have ever had, in my opinion.

Anyway, it looks great. And what a creative team. Wow! Can't wait!
    Awesome! That was my favorite story featuring the Hawks. I love Jeff Parker's writing too, so that certainly helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Attachment 13613

In a field rife with cheesecake touches to female characters, I'm happy to see some beefcake for balance. Cinematically, I look to how often Hugh Jackman's Wolverine or Henry Cavill's Superman were gloriously shirtless. Throw a Joe Mangianello, Jackman, or Henry Cavill workout body in the suit rather than trying to cover up Katar/Carter. I don't think audiences will complain.

Attachment 13612
    I don't think gratuitous beefcake would hurt Hawkman's fanbase by any means.

Attachment 13613

In a field rife with cheesecake touches to female characters, I'm happy to see some beefcake for balance. Cinematically, I look to how often Hugh Jackman's Wolverine or Henry Cavill's Superman were gloriously shirtless. Throw a Joe Mangianello, Jackman, or Henry Cavill workout body in the suit rather than trying to cover up Katar/Carter. I don't think audiences will complain.

Attachment 13612
    Smallville's Hawkman really missed the mark in regards to his look. He just didn't have enough presence as Hawkman for me and made the character really fall flat.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Hawkman's Convergence series has now been formally announced:

Along with a sneak peek of the artwork:

Sounds like a continuation of the Tony Isabella era The Shadow War of Hawkman mini-series that led into Hawkman Volume 3. Nice choice. That's arguably the best ongoing plot line Hawkman and Hawkgirl have ever had, in my opinion.

Anyway, it looks great. And what a creative team. Wow! Can't wait!

Jeff Parker! Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    Smallville's Hawkman really missed the mark in regards to his look. He just didn't have enough presence as Hawkman for me and made the character really fall flat.
    I blame the series' budget. Hawkman's wings in particular are vital in pulling off the look well, and getting giant wings like that to come across impressively on screen is an apparently pretty tough sell. I'm sorry to say that, like most of the costumes on Smallville, Hawkman's falls under the category of above-average cosplay, in my opinion.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

I blame the series' budget. Hawkman's wings in particular are vital in pulling off the look well, and getting giant wings like that to come across impressively on screen is an apparently pretty tough sell. I'm sorry to say that, like most of the costumes on Smallville, Hawkman's falls under the category of above-average cosplay, in my opinion.
    hawkman.jpg

Perhaps a Hawkworld /Falcon from Winter Soldier take on the wings is in order for live action? With the feathered version being reserved for ceremonial wear? That was the custom in HAWKWORLD IIRC. However I also recall some derision of the look as being "Glider Man".

hawkworld.jpg

Some of the unused Falcon concepts from Winter Soldier could more be more appropriate for a Hawkworld Katar.

Marvel_Captain_America_The_Winter_Soldier_Concept_Art_Falcon_v021_JN.jpg

I would miss some of the majesty of the feathered wings but I suppose it is comparable to Thor's Winged Helm only being shown during formal coronation-style scenes.

Then again....these looked pretty sweet onscreen...

X-men-3-the-last-stand-ben-foster-angel.jpg

Then again....these looked pretty sweet onscreen...

X-men-3-the-last-stand-ben-foster-angel.jpg
    I think the feathered look can work on screen just fine, and it should be what the filmmakers aim for, in my opinion, for Hawkman and Hawkgirl on screen. Films like Legion and more recently Maleficent demonstrate that winged humans capable of flight can be done in a very believable, awe-inspiring manner. But doing so requires a decent budget and a meticulous level of care that a show like Smallville simply couldn't afford, I think.
    - Justice League #17

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

My copies of Hawkworld and Geoff Johns Hawkman omnibus came in today. I'm excited to read both.

I may buy the 2 JSA omnibus' to get more Hawkman and Hawkgirl.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    My copies of Hawkworld and Geoff Johns Hawkman omnibus came in today. I'm excited to read both.

HAWKWORLD Miniseries or the ongoing that followed?
    Also a good bit of Hawk goodness in Geoff John's JSA title that unravelled the complicated story of the Hall/Hol family.
    Specific issues of interest JSA 22 - 25 and other issues that deal with their son Hector's participation in the reincarnation drama.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

HAWKWORLD Miniseries or the ongoing that followed?
    Also a good bit of Hawk goodness in Geoff John's JSA title that unravelled the complicated story of the Hall/Hol family.
    Specific issues of interest JSA 22 - 25 and other issues that deal with their son Hector's participation in the reincarnation drama.
    The Hawkworld miniseries from the 80's. It had been recommended to me by others in another thread. Yeah I may buy JSA soon then.

I need a Hawkman ongoing NOT written by Tony Daniels, maybe Morrison or Pak or Azz

So what are people's thoughts on the Nu 52 Hawkman and his brief ongoing?

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Convoluted origin with carter hall initially having amnesia. They could've made Hawkman at least as powerful as the Reach Blue Beetle.
    Last edited by colonyofcells; 01-06-2015 at 05:20 PM.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

You're in for some great reads!

They're definite must-buys!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    So what are people's thoughts on the Nu 52 Hawkman and his brief ongoing?

Shaky start, but ultimately underrated, in my opinion. Tony Daniel obviously had some ambitious ideas for Hawkman's new origin for The New 52, but he dragged his feet too much in realizing them. It was pretty obvious from issue #2 that Hawkman was no longer Carter Hall, reincarnated ancient Egyptian prince, for instance, but given the way Brightest Day concluded, the first few pages of The Savage Hawkman #1, and how cryptic editorial were at the outset of the relaunch concerning what was and wasn't still in continuity, all Daniel did was end up confusing readers. With a character like Hawkman, he really should have mapped out his new origin in a more straightforward manner.

Rob Liefeld, for as much grief as he gets, did a good job of making the book fast and fun when he took it over. He got to the new origin right away--although didn't clear up everything as well as he could have, perhaps--in the process sending Hawkman hopping around the globe and ultimately outer space as he battled various enemies. It wasn't deep, but it was entertaining, and very much felt like how a Hawkman ongoing should.

Tom DeFalco finished the series up, and while it reads a bit old fashioned in places by today's standards, it was similar to Liefeld's run: in a nutshell, just dumb fun. His opening arc centering around the Shadow-Thief, however, is arguably my favorite of the series. The character's backstory and her motivations are laid out well, and she ends up being a villain equal parts likeable and mysterious. She's also got more depth than any version of Carl Sands ever had, for my money.

Overall, I found the book read a lot better in trade, but I also enjoyed it as it was coming out. Again, I think it's underrated, and I believe a lot of folks who run it down never actually read it. I'd say the first trade is worth checking out if you're interested.
    - Justice League #17