Page 6 of 72 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Did Ostrander try to clean up Hawkman's post-Crisis continuity? Yes, and he did it well, but then they started the next volume of Hawkman and it was botched again. Johns took what he could from the messed up Katar history, but used Carter and tied him into the Thanagarian culture logically and his monthly by Johns was terrific. DC never should have said Truman's Hawkworld excellent mini was 'current day' because that is what helped to confuse his continuity. The New 52 Hawkman isn't so much a mess, it's that he has had many creative team shifts that have overly complicated him again for me. You don't really need to 'get' my criticism. The character does not appear consistent to me, and it's too bad because I love the character. I want to support the character and I have hope for him in JLU. I do like the how his armor is part of him and that he can regenerate.

I would love for Hro Talak to be introduced into the comics. I liked him in JLU and think he would be a great spoil to Hawkman. Especially if he were kept as a rival for Shayera's affections. I know the name Hro Talak is an anagram of Katar Hol as well. I see him being an exceptionally patriotic which can make him extremely dangerous.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    Awesome write up and I love the ideas presented here in regards to Thanagarian language and communication. They are a warrior culture and I can definitely see them fighting to keep their culture and traditions alive.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by MrHashasheen View Post
    I feel like you're coming from this with a biased perspective. It's okay, I feel the exact opposite in that the Egyptian angle provides far better story potential.

IMO, if they're unwilling to keep them in seperate universes, they could perhaps try keeping them in seperate time periods, or use that as a definitive separation. (Note that I'm not suggesting this for New 52, just thinking aloud).

Like, have Carter and Shiera as a modern day duo, and then introduce time-traveling Katar and Shayera (reincarnation-not), from a futuristic Thanagarian Empire. Maybe they're on a mission to save Thanagar from itself (peaceful utopia turned militarist empire was a hallmark of Thanagar continuity wise, IIRC). Maybe they're hunting for criminals escaped through time and space. Maybe they're just seeking to live in a more peaceful time, only to find out things aren't as peaceful as they hoped. Live-action archeology? Recovering an intact Absorbacon to rebuild their people in the future?
    the reincarnating egyptian prince angle is actually interesting and probably set hawkman apart from green lantern and adam strange. i think silent knight and night hawk were retconned to be reincarnated versions of hawkman, giving carter hall ties to the medieval age, the wild west, and outer space.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    Awesome write up and I love the ideas presented here in regards to Thanagarian language and communication. They are a warrior culture and I can definitely see them fighting to keep their culture and traditions alive.
    Thanks!

10char

Hawkman has one of the best looks of any DC character. I've never been a huge fan until recently, when the Golden Age Hawkman archives became a favorite. I need to check out more of Johns' Hawkman series as well. I've read the first collected volume and it's excellent.

I'm a lot more familiar with Carter Hall than Katar Hol though. I still haven't read much Katar.

BANNED

Jeff Lemire put Hawkman in Justice League United, just to kill him off. Way to go!!! That was such a waste imo.

Spectacular Member

He'll be back...he can regenerate/heal thanks to the Nth Metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Grim View Post
    Jeff Lemire put Hawkman in Justice League United, just to kill him off. Way to go!!! That was such a waste imo.
    You see that guy with the hawk helmet and wings, carrying a mace, hanging around with Stormwatch in Future's End?

That's Hawkman, and he ain't dead.

One of the most awesome things the new 52 has done for Hawkman, along with the clean slate, is make him unique with the Nth Metal. He's like the Wolverine of DC now as far as healing factor goes. He pretty much can't die now.
    WHO DAT?!!

and if he dies, he can always reincarnate.

but that might take a much longer time.

I'm still not 100% sold on Hawkman's new look, but I do think that Ivan Reis really draws him the best. He makes the armor look less bulky then other artists and I think he really captures the savage aspect of this new Hawkman incarnation.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post

I'm still not 100% sold on Hawkman's new look, but I do think that Ivan Reis really draws him the best. He makes the armor look less bulky then other artists and I think he really captures the savage aspect of this new Hawkman incarnation.
    I like the new look, but this is mostly what I've seen him do in the New 52. Shout and charge mace-first. I only read the first arc of Savage Hawkman, which was okay, but I wasn't reading a Liefeld book.

I'm hoping a new title will be announced for the all-important personality to show.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I like the new look, but this is mostly what I've seen him do in the New 52. Shout and charge mace-first. I only read the first arc of Savage Hawkman, which was okay, but I wasn't reading a Liefeld book.

I'm hoping a new title will be announced for the all-important personality to show.
    Like you, I too am hoping for a new Hawkman title. His previous title for the reboot really wasn't handled well and I think Hawman and Hawkwoman/Hawkgirl really could use a nice push. I still don't know why DC hasn't capitalized on the success of animated Hawkgirl. I think Hawkman title should have been rebooted originally as a duo title featuring Hawkman & Hawkwoman (Shayera), with both of them sharing the spotlight. I see them as DC's primary super-hero couple. Aquaman and Mera have been working as a team since the reboot with her fighting by his side or like more recently dealing with issues of state without Aquaman there, but has Mera always played such a role?