Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Do you think James Gordon is dead in the DC film universe?

So, despite us getting Batman vs Superman in 2016, there doesn't appear to be a James Gordon in the film, and Batman is showing uncovering the Bat-signal himself. Now, it was rumored a while back that Gordon would be dead in this universe, and by the looks of it, that rumor may be right. So, what do you think of them possibly going forward with the Batman films without Gordon?

No, i just think Batman built a Bat Signal in Metropolis.

Isn't this supposed to take place towards the end of Batman's crime fighting career?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I don't think they'd leave Gordon out, next to Alfred he's one of the most important supporting characters

Maybe Gordon died in Metropolis since Gotham and Metropolis are twin cities now
    Seems like everyone important to Bruce died besides Alfred

Incredible Member

Gordon was retired/retiring at this point in DKR, so more likely it's just that.

Or the GCPD thought being seen to endorse a vigilante wasn't a good look for them professionally after Superman turned up and blew a city up.

Or maybe Bruce quit being Batman.

Who knows, but if this is a BM/SM movie I don't actually think he's such a vital character that he has to be shoehorned in.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

As OP said, the rumors are that he's dead. And as we know, Bruce is at the end of his career in the DCCU. To add, there is that info of the Batman movie by Johns and Affleck. It only said Affleck is directing, not starring, right? So I'm going to speculate it's a prequel type of movie. Perhaps there we will see Gordon's fate.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    As OP said, the rumors are that he's dead. And as we know, Bruce is at the end of his career in the DCCU. To add, there is that info of the Batman movie by Johns and Affleck. It only said Affleck is directing, not starring, right? So I'm going to speculate it's a prequel type of movie. Perhaps there we will see Gordon's fate.

Before it was released that he was directing he said he was starring in The Batman so I think it goes with out saying that he'll stay on as Bruce and Batman, now he's young enough that they could do a prequel if they so chose but I have a feeling they're going to want to build on Superman VS. Batman so I think it's likely to take place after rather than before

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    No, i just think Batman built a Bat Signal in Metropolis.
    Speaking of which, I'm wondering why bruce has a wayne enterprises building in Metropolis, when Gotham is right next door.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Before it was released that he was directing he said he was starring in The Batman so I think it goes with out saying that he'll stay on as Bruce and Batman, now he's young enough that they could do a prequel if they so chose but I have a feeling they're going to want to build on Superman VS. Batman so I think it's likely to take place after rather than before
    either way, I can dig it.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Speaking of which, I'm wondering why bruce has a wayne enterprises building in Metropolis, when Gotham is right next door.
    It's hard to say if they are right next door or not in these films, as the geography need not mirror the comics. But heck, even in the comics it's not clear whether or not the two cities are close by or not as sometimes it seems that Clark needs to take a plane to visit Gotham when traveling as a civilian and other times it's only a few hours by train. Even if we take the old roll playing source book as legitimate and that Gotham is in New Jersey and Metropolis is in Delaware it still wouldn't be out of the question for Wayne to have large offices in those places especially if the corporation is as diversified as it is in the comics; just look at a company like Raytheon and you'll see that they have large complexes in several states despite being headquartered in Mass

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Well, we aren't sure that the building is in Metropolis, right? Since both cities are close by. It's possible that the fight spread over to Gotham.

If it's in Metropolis..there's a fairly good reason. Snyder mentioned Metropolis as where the richer folks live, and Gotham as the poorer city...So, it makes sense that they would have Wayne towers (maybe even HQ) in Metropolis (built by Bruce's parents, perhaps?).
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It's hard to say if they are right next door or not in these films, as the geography need not mirror the comics. But heck, even in the comics it's not clear whether or not the two cities are close by or not as sometimes it seems that Clark needs to take a plane to visit Gotham when traveling as a civilian and other times it's only a few hours by train. Even if we take the old roll playing source book as legitimate and that Gotham is in New Jersey and Metropolis is in Delaware it still wouldn't be out of the question for Wayne to have large offices in those places especially if the corporation is as diversified as it is in the comics; just look at a company like Raytheon and you'll see that they have large complexes in several states despite being headquartered in Mass
    In this universe, they are next door; separated by a river. Snyder said as much (comparing Metropolis and Gotham to San Francisco and Oakland City).
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevanjacobjohn View Post
    In this universe, they are next door; separated by a river. Snyder said as much (comparing Metropolis and Gotham to San Francisco and Oakland City).
    Then there is even less of a reason why it would be surprising that Wayne Tower might be in Metropolis, or as you said that the battle didn't just cross over.

Well if you look at the sign that was on the destroyed tower it said Wayne Financial. So maybe in Metropolis it was a subsidiary of Wayne Enterprises that was destroyed while in Gotham there's the main HQ Wayne tower.