Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member JoeWithoutFear's Avatar

Default Maybe I want Cyclops to die? =\

!!!!!!SECRET WARS SPOILERS!!!!!!!

So, Cyclops is my favorite character. And with the newly announced line-up of post-SW titles, he is no where to be seen. We've heard that he'll be "missing" for "a while" and we saw in Secret Wars #4 that he was killed by Dr. Doom. Now, sure, the Phoenix Force could bring him back to life and on some level I still have to figure that's how the post-SW universe is created.

But, right now I simply don't trust the creative direction at Marvel to give me want I'm looking for with my favorite character. As we've seen with the mutant revolution, and as I fear we may see with the Phoenix Force, when Marvel wants to thrust a new, big, shiny event on us, or grab headlines in some way, they are all too happy to toss long-arcing plots right out the window. "Whatever was going to happen, wrap it up fast, we have big rebranding 'events' to push!" Like, maybe that was it for Scott and the Phoenix Force? Maybe it was just Marvel showing that, quite literally, the X-Men are "dead" in terms of their current focus. So maybe all this Phoenix Egg stuff was just a(nother) false start - stringing fans along while Marvel's real concern was elsewhere.

So, maybe I actually want 616 Cyclops to die after SW? It already looks like Marvel thinks a time-displaced Scott from the 1960s is a reasonable substitute, so, who knows? Maybe I'll be happier just letting the Cyke I know and love Rest in Peace and I'll read All New X-Men with absolutely zero expectations and not be disappointed when it isn't any good =P ...pretty sad that's where I'm at with Marvel now. I'm HOPING to expect so little that I can't be let down by garbage. =P I'm HOPING for my favorite character to be laid to rest.

I know there are a lot of Cyclops lovers (and haters) on this board, so, what do you think? I'm not so much asking about what you think will happen (although that's interesting too) but I'm more interested in what you WANT to see happen.
    Me: "Wanna be Hawkeye and Hawkeye next Halloween?"
    My wife: "Only if I get to be Clint."

what is the point of been a fan of any character then? If you don't like a comic about your fav character don't read it. I like storm but I hated her solo so I didn't read it, however I know that are fans that liked it that's why I didn't go "storm is ruined for ever lets kill her" a lot of my favorite character are like that nowaday like x-23. If you reach a point when you hate everythingin the comics or whish that all your fav character are dead the best thing to do is to take a rest for a while from them until a writer you trust come to write the x-men.

BANNED

An idea I had a while back was that Cyclops (with the Phoenix), would be the one to save reality, and that he would sacrifice himself to restore reality, and that it would show his soul going to rest in the White Hot room with Jean.

BANNED

Franchise wise, I'd be for the best if he died or else went away for a while.

He's become a terrible writer's crutch in recent times, with many creators being heavily into him. Sadly, Marvel really doesn't have any idea what they want to do with him.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

With Cyclops gone, Storm and her drones won't have a proper villain to protect the Inhumans from. A vote against Cyclops is effectively a vote against Storm and her drones.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by keeper444 View Post
    what is the point of been a fan of any character then? If you don't like a comic about your fav character don't read it. I like storm but I hated her solo so I didn't read it, however I know that are fans that liked it that's why I didn't go "storm is ruined for ever lets kill her" a lot of my favorite character are like that nowaday like x-23. If you reach a point when you hate everythingin the comics or whish that all your fav character are dead the best thing to do is to take a rest for a while from them until a writer you trust come to write the x-men.
    Because this piles on crap that becomes part of the character's story. It ruins them in the long term. Sure, the right writer can come along and the character will be right on track, no need to star explaining and correcting old crap storylines, but which interpretation will each writer choose once there's 2 dozen conflicting versions. And you could be stuck with fans of the lousy version wanting more of that.

BANNED

Dying is extreme, simply have him share the focus instead of making everything revolve around Scott's world.

Out of curiosity, what would you want from Scott if death was off the table?

The biggest difficulty in answering something like this is just how unknown the future is. There are some concrete pieces, but there is still so many things that need to be addressed. At least some of that has to be filled before I could even start thinking about it. This is particularly true because of the large shakeups. The new landscape could be the coolest thing ever, or sound like a disaster. The same could be said for a characters position within that landscape.

All that aside - and as a fan of Cyke - I guess I hope for some backburner time. He really needs a breather. Be it the directionless (or constantly interrupted) run, the writer bias, or just to shake up the world around him and have a stabilizing period.. On a return he would be rejuvenated. Rather than always flowing with the center of the story, jumping in after some pieces have moved around. Feeling fresh, placing him on the board with new found direction (illusion or not). I know that would hype me up. Gaps suck, but I think the long term payoff is worth it in this case.

I can see the allure of some finality. Having the treasured past sealed off. A character journey complete. The thing is death wont reinvigorate the enjoyment of comics. The best hope of enjoying the hobby is probably with your favorite character around. If it turns to garbage, you can always walk away - albeit slightly more angry. Then you can just pretend they died, new terrible things never happened, and enjoy your own head canon.

Sidenote: Honestly I kind of want Scott to completely snap and go villainous. Its the sort of thing I think would be awesome want to read, but at the same time from a canon point of view, I dont want that from his "character" if that makes sense.
    Last edited by cwatz; 07-03-2015 at 01:42 PM.

(I know I've mentioned this a few times but) I'm still hoping for a Summers family team. Cable, Alex and Rachel MIA too?! Big coincidence.

BANNED

Just think, if Jean hadn't died maybe she could have all had all of those "great" scenes Faction gave Emma: "Scott has a plan. :}" and that one where she lectures Magneto about how muscular and smart and important Scott is while Mags is stuck in a trance getting Kitty back from the bullet in space. Sometimes limbo is for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    Because this piles on crap that becomes part of the character's story. It ruins them in the long term. Sure, the right writer can come along and the character will be right on track, no need to star explaining and correcting old crap storylines, but which interpretation will each writer choose once there's 2 dozen conflicting versions. And you could be stuck with fans of the lousy version wanting more of that.
    It can't be avoided to have more than one version of the same character, with Marvel never rebooting its universe and the characters never aging the old stories lost the perspective in which they were wrote, for example the scene where Hank slaps Jannet is used now to destroy that character but in the time that scene was made was not as controversial as it is now. The only way a character can stay true to itself is with the same writer, but with them rotating is almost sure that the new writer doesn’t get at least one of the characters. Sometimes helps to ignore some stories, I am still ignoring Morrison run.

He'll a make a return when the folks at the JGS think he is really gone.
    Interesting Fact: Cyclops runs the X-Office.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I think Gillen, Carey, and Whedon were bright lights in a sea of mediocre portrayals for much of the last ten years or more, and I don't have the stomach for more half baked Cyclops stories, but I'm also on the edge of not reading X-Men with him gone.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post
    With Cyclops gone, Storm and her drones won't have a proper villain to protect the Inhumans from. A vote against Cyclops is effectively a vote against Storm and her drones.
    This thread has nothing to do with storm why bring her up?
    Monica Rambeau is the queen of my heart and life. Bow down to her then give her all your money.

Nostagia leads to stagnation and over glorifying the past. The past sucked, the present sucks, and the future will suck. Take off the rose colored glasses and don't let that jerk nostalgia trick you into thinking life was better than it really was. If 20 years from now I'm of those people that say music, tv, videogames etc. was better back in my day please hit me in the knee caps with a bat.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

This probably won't happen, but what if Scott is dead, but the Phoenix Force is not? Jean - the teenage, 616 one - was on the early covers for SW and is in the Manhattan domain. What if Hickman still has a plan for the Phoenix Force and uses her for it?