Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Alan Moore's Electricomics

Alan Moore has announced his Big New Project and it's all rather exciting.

The most famous modern comic book writer in the world, Alan Moore, is leading a research and development project to create an app enabling digital comics to be made by anyone.
    Already known for revolutionising the comic book industry in the 1980s, Moore is pushing boundaries again with Electricomics – an app that is both a comic book and an easy-to-use open source toolkit. Being open source and free, the app has wide potential not just for industry professionals, but also businesses, arts organisations and of course comic fans and creators everywher
    At the minute this is about as much as we know, though we do also know what strips will form the first wave of these new comics.

Electricomics will be a 32-page showcase with four very different original titles:
    Big Nemo – set in the 1930s, Alan Moore revisits Winsor McCay’s most popular hero;
    Cabaret Amygdala – modernist horror from writer Peter Hogan (Terra Obscura);
    Red Horse – on the anniversary of the beginning of World War One, Garth Ennis (Preacher, The Boys) and Danish artist Peter Snejbjerg (World War X) take us back to the trenches;
    Sway – a slick new time travel science fiction story from Leah Moore and John Reppion (Sherlock Holmes – The Liverpool Demon, 2000 AD).
    There's some serious talent on display here and this could be something rather big indeed.

The full press release is here. Their Facebook page is here.

Astonishing Member

This sounds fantastic. I need this app now.

There's already a CBR article/thread about this: http://community.comicbookresources....tal-Comics-App
    BB

Astonishing Member

How long before all the characters in Little Nemo are revealed to be jaded drug addicts locked in a mental asylum?

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

This is the most exiciting comics news I've heard in some time. That lineup is outstanding. I've been resistant to online comics, but this is something that I will certainly check out. (I keep meaning to try David Lloyd's Aces Weekly, but never actually get there.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    How long before all the characters in Little Nemo are revealed to be jaded drug addicts locked in a mental asylum?
    I'm holding out for "heroin-addicted jazz critic".
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    His Supreme and ABC works sure fit this description.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    There's already a CBR article/thread about this: http://community.comicbookresources....tal-Comics-App
    It could do with not just being shunted away as an independent comic because it doesn't seem to be just a comic. It's a method for creating comics though what that is remains to be seen as yet.

The fact he's got some good people involved and that it's going to be open source software is amazingly exciting. If Moore and his team actually have come up with something new then this is going to be huge, possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    This is the most exiciting comics news I've heard in some time. That lineup is outstanding. I've been resistant to online comics, but this is something that I will certainly check out. (I keep meaning to try David Lloyd's Aces Weekly, but never actually get there.)
    It doesn't seem to be just online comics, but a new way of creating comics. Not just that, but he's putting this app out for anyone to use.

Quote Originally Posted by king mob View Post
    It could do with not just being shunted away as an independent comic because it doesn't seem to be just a comic. It's a method for creating comics though what that is remains to be seen as yet.

The fact he's got some good people involved and that it's going to be open source software is amazingly exciting. If Moore and his team actually have come up with something new then this is going to be huge, possibly.
    Yes that is true, but the forum rules state there should be one thread of each topic.
    BB

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king mob View Post
    It doesn't seem to be just online comics, but a new way of creating comics. Not just that, but he's putting this app out for anyone to use.

Yeah, I gathered that, and I think Moore is the guy to think up new methods for storytelling within that format. The intersection between the capabilities of the technology and the traditional methods for creating comics is a fascinating and exciting place, and I can't wait to see what Moore does with it.

I'm also interested in Ennis' effort. He's a superb writer, but I wouldn't exactly classify him as an innovator in his storytelling. This seems like very new ground for him. (Which it is for everyone, but especially for Garth.)

Fun-Eating Devil The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

Moore & Ennis/Snebjerg's sound the most promising to me at present. Also curious about what Colleen Doran & Nicola Scott will bring.

I'm wondering how the app's going to work - but the main thing is "I want to read this comics. Alan, sell me these comics now. Take my money, Alan".

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    I'm holding out for "heroin-addicted jazz critic".
    Who's not little.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    His Supreme and ABC works sure fit this description.
    You mustn't have picked up his LXG. He had Harry Potter as the anti-christ shooting lightning out of his penis

BANNED

Hoping this won't be a "pet rock" app like the storyboard appcrap from amazonstudios.