View Poll Results: Who Do You Think Will Be The First Openly Gay, Lesbian Or Bisexual Character In A Marvel Movie?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Iceman in a rebooted X-Men franchise

3 6.52%
  • Phyla-Vell and/or Moondragon in a future GotG movie

19 41.30%
  • Karma in the New Mutants movie

6 13.04%
  • Mystique in a future X-Men movie

6 13.04%
  • Other (You can comment on who you think it will be)

9 19.57%
  • A previously heterosexual character retconned in a movie

3 6.52%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Default Who Do You Think Will Be The First Openly Gay, Lesbian Or Bisexual Character In A Marvel Movie?

Kevin Feige has said that an LGBT character will make it into the MCU within a decade, and I'm asking who people think will be the first openly gay, lesbian or bisexual character in a movie based on Marvel comics characters. I read this article on io9 where the writer thinks it will be Iceman in a rebooted X-Men franchise, but I want to know what others think.

http://io9.com/who-will-be-the-first...ies-1715478376

Incredible Member idisestablish's Avatar

I think it's gotta be Bobby. He's the only A-list hero who's "full gay." It could certainly be anyone from the B or C-list, but I think Bobby is the most likely. I would say next most likely to be the first is Northstar. I've wondered whether Fox or Marvel has his film rights. I would be surprised is Phyla OR Moondragon appears in GotG, let alone both, but even more surprised if either of their sexuality is addressed. After half a dozen films, I'd be surprised if Mystique is suddenly depicted as bisexual. Karma, I would say is a good third place for most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by idisestablish View Post
    I think it's gotta be Bobby. He's the only A-list hero who's "full gay." It could certainly be anyone from the B or C-list, but I think Bobby is the most likely. I would say next most likely to be the first is Northstar. I've wondered whether Fox or Marvel has his film rights. I would be surprised is Phyla OR Moondragon appears in GotG, let alone both, but even more surprised if either of their sexuality is addressed. After half a dozen films, I'd be surprised if Mystique is suddenly depicted as bisexual. Karma, I would say is a good third place for most likely.
    I forgot to add Northstar in a future X-Men movie as an option on the poll but I don't think it's very likely he'll show up in one of the movies anytime soon. I voted for Karma, since they're actually going to make a New Mutants movie I think that's the likeliest film to include an openly homosexual character.

BANNED

Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, Clint Barton or Phil Coulson.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

I'm going to go with Phyla-Vell/Moondragon or Karma. If they do include Phyla in GotG2 I don't think they'll include Moondragon, though (and vice versa).

It's probably going to be Moondragon. They've made a point several times of saying that Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is going to be about "fathers" so this is likely the place to introduce Drax's thought-dead daughter.

Can't be Bobby, not with Fox Studios still lingering around, unfortunately.

I remember Moondragon being mentioned to appear in a Phase 3 movie some time ago, it's likely her.

But this is my wishful thinking here, I wanted a Young Avengers Netflix series bad, so I'm hoping the MCU would include Wiccan in some possible way someday. Hey a Phase 4 TV series set 16-18 years after Infinity Wars could work!

But, we've already had Ian McKellen as Magneto . . .

It'll probably be Moondragon. Maaaybe Phyla.
    Of course with Bobby out in the comics, Singer might take the opportunity to 'retcon' him in the movies to being gay.

Also, I'm going to wait and see how long it's going to take our resident anti-LGBT trolls to start polluting this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    It's probably going to be Moondragon. They've made a point several times of saying that Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is going to be about "fathers" so this is likely the place to introduce Drax's thought-dead daughter.
    Interesting. I hadn't heard of the fathers angle to GotG 2 so you could be onto something there.

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    It'll probably be Moondragon. Maaaybe Phyla.
    Of course with Bobby out in the comics, Singer might take the opportunity to 'retcon' him in the movies to being gay.

Also, I'm going to wait and see how long it's going to take our resident anti-LGBT trolls to start polluting this thread.
    I read that Singer has said there's going to be no gay characters in X-Men Apocalypse. He likes to push the mutants as LGBT metaphor but he's done nothing to give us an actual LGBT superhero. And yeah I'm worried that the usual suspects are gonna' come in here and whine about "why does there have to be a gay superhero in a movie?"

More accurately, Feige said he thinks probably there will most likely be a gay hero in a movie in the next ten years. Which is incredibly non-committal. As for who it'll be, who the hell knows? Maybe - maybe - GotG 3 could maybe possibly potentially not-going-to-happen-but-we-can-still-hope-Marvel-Studios-grows-a-spine-and-does-it have Moondragon and Phylla-Vell. I wouldn't bet on it, even for GotG 3 (and at this point it's almost guaranteed not to have a single shot in hell of happening in GotG 2), but hey, I guess it could, in theory, happen.

Honestly, in terms of getting an openly gay character - one who actually says, on-screen, that they're gay, or is shown romantically kissing someone of the same sex, or anything like that - I don't know if even the next decade will have Marvel do it in a movie. They're deeply invested in appealing to foreign audiences, especially China, and China is adamantly anti-gay. A lot of other countries have major problems with homosexuality, as well. Unless those countries see a huge swing in attitude towards homosexuality, I just don't see Marvel letting two guys kiss, or two women in love.

The one possible exception would be something like Runaways, where the main characters are all teens. The only reason a lesbian would be acceptable in a movie like that is because many countries do have certain views of teen girls dating as part of a phase. That is the only way I can see Marvel Studios putting a same-sex romance in a movie.

BANNED

There's not going to be a LBGT character in the MCU. I would put money on it.

Maybe they could finally make that Runaways movie and have Karolina be the first. She's a great mascot for it seeing that she literally looks like a rainbow.

Aside from a side/supporting character, I'd say we are more likely to see one of their younger popular teen characters be openly gay like either Wiccan, Hulking of Miss America Chavez.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, Clint Barton or Phil Coulson.
    Steve Rogers and Tony Stark.