View Poll Results: Who Do You Think Will Be The First Openly Gay, Lesbian Or Bisexual Character In A Marvel Movie?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Iceman in a rebooted X-Men franchise

3 6.52%
  • Phyla-Vell and/or Moondragon in a future GotG movie

19 41.30%
  • Karma in the New Mutants movie

6 13.04%
  • Mystique in a future X-Men movie

6 13.04%
  • Other (You can comment on who you think it will be)

9 19.57%
  • A previously heterosexual character retconned in a movie

3 6.52%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    I don't believe they can use Kang.
    Wait, is he a Fantastic Four villain ?.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    Sorry about not putting Wiccan & Hulkling on the poll but I just don't see them in a movie anytime soon. I originally thought it would be Karma in the New Mutants but now I'm starting to think it probably will be Moondragon in Guardians of the Galaxy. I've read that Singer has flat-out said there isn't going to be any gay characters in X-Men Apocalypse so I don't see Northstar showing up as a side character in an X-Men movie anytime soon. And I can't imagine DC would ever actually make a Batwoman movie.
    Don't worry, it's not that big a deal. Thanks for creating the thread, it's opened up some important conversations.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Or a story with Kang.
    Oh yeah! If not kang I'm sure there will be some other character similar to him they could use.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Don't worry, it's not that big a deal. Thanks for creating the thread, it's opened up some important conversations.
    No problem. I found that io9 article on thebacklot and thought I'd start this conversation here since I really didn't think that Iceman would be the first openly gay superhero in a movie. And the discussion here has really changed my mind on who I think will be the first, If I could change my vote I would vote for Moondragon. But we'll still have to wait and see who makes it on the big screen first. I believe there will be an openly gay, lesbian or bisexual superhero in a movie... eventually. Right now I'm still waiting for a gay character to show up on the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. tv series.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Wait, is he a Fantastic Four villain ?.
    616 Kang the Conqueror appeared as 616 Rama-Tut in Fantastic Four #19 in 1963.
    616 Kang the Conqueror himself appeared in Avengers #8 in 1964.

Incredible Member idisestablish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    Question: Would you be okay with Marvel changing Wiccan and Hulkling's origins if it meant they could appear in the MCU?
    Like others have said, their origins make it dificult to appear. What with the version of Scarlet Witch that we have and the absence of Skrulls.
    But I think this could be worked around.

Instead of a Kree/Skrull hybrid, Teddy could be a Kree/Chitauri hybrid with them saying the combination of DNA from the two races giving shapeshifting abilities. Or he could just be a shapeshifting Kree.
    Billy could just be a random kid with magic/reality-altering powers rather than a relation of Wanda. He could easily be introduced in Doctor Strange.

I'd actually be okay with this if it meant we could have them in the MCU. While I love their actual origins, I don't consider them to be wholy necessary for a movie adaptation of the characters. I wouldn't want them to change their origins in the comics though.
    The Skrulls haven't been introduced yet, but they could be. They've gone on record saying that Skrulls in general are a shared property, but Kl'rt the Super-Skrull is Fox.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

I think they could easily alter Wiccan & Hulkling's origins to fit them into the MCU, but that just isn't going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    616 Kang the Conqueror appeared as 616 Rama-Tut in Fantastic Four #19 in 1963.
    616 Kang the Conqueror himself appeared in Avengers #8 in 1964.
    Well, Quicksilver appeared first in the X-men books and then became part of the Avengers, so i dont know....................................

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emma's Midriff View Post
    There's not going to be a LBGT character in the MCU. I would put money on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Ditto this. The "maybe in ten years" crap is just an evasion tactic.
    It's as simple as that. It's taken almost a decade to do something as revolutionary and terrifying as putting a woman and a black man in the starring roles, and it pushed those both back in favor of another Spidey movie. It'd be enough of a joke in the first place to think they were going to put a gay character in the MCU, especially with Disney involved. But Feige acting as if there's specifically and necessarily an "organic, natural and meaningful" way for anyone who isn't straight to show up, sometime "within the decade", is pretty blatant weasel-speak for 'there, I said the thing, go away now'. If it's going to happen anywhere it's Netflix, since those are the darker stories, and the only place Marvel would consider effectively consigning any LGBT characters as the official 'not for kids' space.

X-Men...maybe. Even if they're going with the pernicious idea of gay relationships as inherently sexualized by concept, they don't really have an excuse on grounds of content, because they had Professor X tell Wolverine to **** off in a movie 12-year-olds watched. Still, I'd guess they'll put in Northstar in a minor role with no indication of any relationship whatsoever, and then when people complain they'll respond with something like "well, most of the characters are straight and we don't make a BIG DEAL about it onscreen, why do you think we have to make a BIG DEAL about him being gay? We're just being equal, man, you're the real prejudiced ones here".
    Buh-bye

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    It's as simple as that. It's taken almost a decade to do something as revolutionary and terrifying as putting a woman and a black man in the starring roles, and it pushed those both back in favor of another Spidey movie.
    Pretty much, yeah.

For super-powered women, we've had Sif, Extremis Pepper (for, like, five minutes) and now the Scarlet Witch, with other super-powered women like the Wasp and Valkyrie being dropped from the Avengers and Thor. Even the idea of a genius woman capable of operating on Stark's level showed up in Iron Man 3, only to get shot and killed in that same movie. And black guys? Sidekicks to the white leads, and certainly not the inventors of whatever tech they are using, because only white dudes can invent cool tech.

It's probably going to be a long time before characters like Monica Rambeau (black *and* a woman? hide the children!) or White Tiger or Amadeus Cho or America Chavez show up. (It also doesn't help Marvel that a large percentage amount of their diverse characters are in the X-Franchise, which is chock-full of people of color, strong female characters, etc. like Storm, Sunfire, Karma, Sunspot, Mirage/Moonstar, Bishop, Frenzy, Silver Samurai, Jubilee, Northstar, Anole, Dust, etc.)

Moondragon, in Guardians 2, would be the best bet for a timely GLBT appearance (and doesn't need to have more than her checking out Gamora in her form-fitting outfit to establish her as bi, it certainly doesn't have to be a plot point or anything), but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Feige didn't seem to think that was going to happen, since he didn't say 'sooner than you think!' in response to the question.

Who knows, maybe James Gunn is picking Moondragon, and Feige either has no idea yet, or is trying to play it close to the vest, feeling that it would be better to surprise us with diversity, than promise something that might change if the character's sexuality isn't mentioned on-screen, or she gets swapped out for Angela or Mantis or Nikki or Aleta or something.

Ultimate Member

Or just have Moondragon make a few comments in the movie that show her orientation without going overboard...they could have Starlord trying to get some woman's number or the space equivalent and later lamenting that he didn't but then Moondragon could say that she did. I'd just be afraid of trying to lump everything into one character.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    It's as simple as that. It's taken almost a decade to do something as revolutionary and terrifying as putting a woman and a black man in the starring roles, and it pushed those both back in favor of another Spidey movie.
    When Captain Marvel movie was announced, there's one that like "This too PC. Chick cannot hold solo ongoing, yet have a movie? etc etc." I cannot imagine what will happen if Marvel make America Chavez movie. Because lesbian??? Latina?? Who is not sexualized for straight male gaze? Strong, independent and also the lead? It will be enough to make homophobe/racist/sexist head exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Still, I'd guess they'll put in Northstar in a minor role with no indication of any relationship whatsoever, and then when people complain they'll respond with something like "well, most of the characters are straight and we don't make a BIG DEAL about it onscreen, why do you think we have to make a BIG DEAL about him being gay? We're just being equal, man, you're the real prejudiced ones here".
    True. Whatever there's a discussion about LGBT character, someone will always said "I don't watch superhero movie for their sexual orientation!" yet keep debating which female character that should date Peter Parker. Heck, when there's a new picture from Batman v Superman, many people ranting about Batman/Wonder Woman yet NO ONE reply with "Why everything must be sexual? I don't watch movie for romance!" Apparently they don't care about romance as long as it's heterosexual.

Sorry pals, if you're the one ranting about how you don't care about sexual orientation etc etc but ONLY watch/read media featuring heterosexual and avoiding show sith LGBT character because gays are "icky", then bye bye.
    Last edited by Kencana; 07-07-2015 at 12:09 AM.

Technically we've already had Victoria Hand as part of the Cinematic Universe via Agents of Shield. But her character arc was pretty short...

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Technically we've already had Victoria Hand as part of the Cinematic Universe via Agents of Shield. But her character arc was pretty short...
    She wasn't openly lesbian on the show. There was never any real indication of her sexuality, one way or the other.

LMAO Whew... maybe within a decade !

So progressive.

Iceman in a rebooted X-Men franchise
    This is possible but somehow I don’t see singler rebooting it again but stranger things have happened I guess maybe we could finally get a ass kicking Rogue but here is the question how would you explain it, could a change in the Days of Furture Past affect something like a characters orientation I guess.
    Phyla-Vell and/or Moondragon in a future GotG movie
    If we are talking MCU then this is the only one that works without an overhaul imo.
    Karma in the New Mutants movie
    I didn’t know that they was a New Mutant film in the works
    Mystique in a future X-Men movie
    This could happen, it’s never been addressed on screen no reason why they couldn’t do it
    Other (You can comment on who you think it will be)
    Any of the new additions could be brought into the mcu, you could have a gay/bi Black Panther, bi/lesbian Captain Marvel, gay/bi Dr Strange or any member of the inhumans actually know that I think about it the Inhumans movie is probably the best one to do it in. I doubt it will happen but I’m saying they could.
    A previously heterosexual character retconned in a movie
    Tb him not a big fan of this and I feel that you would need to address it, I don’t think you could have Tony in a happy relationship with Pepper and then all of a sudden try round and say he is gay and in love with Steve which is another kettle of fish all together. There is also the point that when would you do it RDJ from what I understand has said that there will be no more solo Iron Man until they recast which they will eventually and I don't think it would go down well if they did it in the avengers.
    Truth is the best policy