View Poll Results: Who Do You Think Will Be The First Openly Gay, Lesbian Or Bisexual Character In A Marvel Movie?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Iceman in a rebooted X-Men franchise

3 6.52%
  • Phyla-Vell and/or Moondragon in a future GotG movie

19 41.30%
  • Karma in the New Mutants movie

6 13.04%
  • Mystique in a future X-Men movie

6 13.04%
  • Other (You can comment on who you think it will be)

9 19.57%
  • A previously heterosexual character retconned in a movie

3 6.52%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    BANNED

The ones leading the poll, it might take a while for them to show up in the movies.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Right now I'm thinking if Moondragon makes it into Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and IF (big if) they slip in some, probably very subtle, reference to her being attracted to women then she could be the first. Otherwise it'll probably be Karma; they've said that with the New Mutants movie they're going with a John Hughes meets Stephen King with some supernatural horror vibe to the movie. Horror oriented movies in general are less restrained than more mainstream movies and don't play to as big of an audience so it might be safer to include an openly lesbian Karma in a movie like that.

Quote Originally Posted by idisestablish View Post
    I think it's gotta be Bobby. He's the only A-list hero who's "full gay." It could certainly be anyone from the B or C-list, but I think Bobby is the most likely.
    I would love it if there was a scene with Bobby coming out to his kinda-girlfriend Rogue. I think with Anna Paquin(as bi) and Bryan Singer(as openly gay) they could create a pretty powerful scene/performance there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    I'm going to go with Phyla-Vell/Moondragon or Karma.
    I hope not her. I'm pretty tired of the angry lesbian trope. Moondragon in the comics was always such a b-i-t-c-h.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    They're deeply invested in appealing to foreign audiences, especially China, and China is adamantly anti-gay. A lot of other countries have major problems with homosexuality, as well. Unless those countries see a huge swing in attitude towards homosexuality, I just don't see Marvel letting two guys kiss, or two women in love.
    The Chinese government is not gay-friendly but the population on average actually is. There is a pretty vibrant gay culture in China, they may be a bit more low-key about being out but it is definitely not a taboo. Recently during the Luka Magnotta trials of his murder of Jun Lin there was a lot of reports about homosexuality in China and its general acceptance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Pinky Pinkerton of the Howling Commandos is gay he could do something if theres another sesaon of Agent Carter.
    Nice nickname there for a gay character.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Wait, is he a Fantastic Four villain ?.
    Yeah. Kang's actually a descendant of Nathan Richards. So related to Reed and definitely owned by Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike82 View Post
    The Supreme Court has been around a lot longer than Kevin Feige. Its not his fault that Marvel doesn't have a lot of lgbt characters.
    Well he is kinda running the show there now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Well the poll results are interesting... looks like Marvel REALLY can't drop the ball on the next GotG film; because NOW is the time to finally have true LGBT representation in the MCU movies. Fingers crossed we hear about casting these two characters this year.
    Yeah and it'll probably be a bi female as always. And a long time for an openly gay man and probably next-to-never for a trans character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Majestic View Post
    Well he is kinda running the show there now.
    True, but Marvel has always been about bringing comic book characters to real life. Most of these characters originated from the 60s or 70s. So don't be surprised if there aren't a lot lgbt characters in comics. Besides, its not like a person's sexual orientation is the most important thing about a character.

Besides, its not like a person's sexual orientation is the most important thing about a character.
    If it wasn't important I doubt we'd need to spend so much time and energy defending our very existence in all media, in society. Sexuality seems VERY important in the MCU; which is why all the films ping heterosexuality at numerous points in the films and all include romantic subplots. They don't do it for their own amusement
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

BANNED

If it wasn't important I doubt we'd need to spend so much time and energy defending our very existence in all media, in society. Sexuality seems VERY important in the MCU; which is why all the films ping heterosexuality at numerous points in the films and all include romantic subplots. They don't do it for their own amusement
    If sexuality were so important in Marvel movies, then Sharon Carter would have been given a much larger role in The Winter Soldier. Instead, it was about Cap's friend Bucky. The romantic subplot in Thor did nothing but drag the movie down. The kiss between Scott Lang and Hope at the end of Ant-Man felt forced. The only relationship that really mattered in that movie was the one between Scott and his daughter. In GOTG, there Peter Quill flirted with Gamora, but it was only a one way thing. No romance whatsover. In AOU, arguably the worst parts of the movie were the Bruce/Nat scenes.

BANNED

If sexuality were so important in Marvel movies, then Sharon Carter would have been given a much larger role in The Winter Soldier. Instead, it was about Cap's friend Bucky. The romantic subplot in Thor did nothing but drag the movie down. The kiss between Scott Lang and Hope at the end of Ant-Man felt forced. The only relationship that really mattered in that movie was the one between Scott and his daughter. In GOTG, there Peter Quill flirted with Gamora, but it was only a one way thing. No romance whatsover. In AOU, arguably the worst parts of the movie were the Bruce/Nat scenes.

A running gag throughout Winter Soldier was Widow talking to Cap about his love life, and there was a scene where they posed as a couple. Opinions on the romance in Thor aside, it was still a major element of the movies, with the second one adding a second romance (between Darcy and her intern). Ant-Man, in addition to the Scott/Hope thing, had Hank still grieving his late wife, Cross hitting on Hope, Scott's ex-wife and her husband, and the fact that Scott even has a daughter is more heterosexual content. GotG had Peter as a womanizer, and forming deep feelings for Gamora, and Drax's main motivation was avenging his wife and child. Opinions on the romance aside, the relationship between Widow and Banner was a major element. The party scene also had Tony and Thor talking about their girlfriends.

And there are plenty of other subtle touches of heterosexual content in those movies, too.

See, that's the thing: Heterosexual content is everywhere. It's the sort of thing that often goes unnoticed, simply because it's so pervasive. If a guy comments on a girl being hot, we don't even recognize that as heteronormative behaviour. Now, if a guy commented on another guy being hot, that we'd notice, because that goes against the norm.