Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

I thought the same way DDD. That's just my opinion so far on him. The way he treated Megan was horrendous. And cheating on her with his Ex early on in Excalibur doesn't help my view of him either. Maybe he get's better.

BANNED

Captain britain's behavior was repulsive.

BANNED

The one thing I truly disliked happening to Captain Britain was him becoming THAT GUY. You know the guy who is a jerk for no reason, the loud and easily angered one, the drunk dude, The jealous dude. I hated when Brian was portrayed that way. him and Betsy always had issues with controlling their tempers at times, but they didn't become straight out jerks.

Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    I found him abusive.
    In which of his very own series was he abusive towards Meggan?

Because it wasn't in Delano/Davis' Before Excalibur.
    I just read that. I would recall him being abusive towards her.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    I thought the same way DDD. That's just my opinion so far on him. The way he treated Megan was horrendous. And cheating on her with his Ex early on in Excalibur doesn't help my view of him either. Maybe he get's better.
    So, you've read Before Excalibur as well?
    Then maybe you can jog my memory on where in that book he was abusive towards Meggan?
    Or were you talking about one of his solo series like DDD is?

By far one of my favorite series! Even when it got bad, it was still better than most of what was happening at Marvel at the time.

Three years ago, I read issues one through 125 in an amazing month long venture.
    http://www.shadowandflamewithmagik.com/

My Blog following the adventures of Kitty Pryde, Lockheed and Magik

BANNED

Yeah if you guys could back up your claims of him being Abusive outside of Excalibur that'd be grand.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Well, other than being completely dismissive of her until she became a blonde bombshell wasn't exactly starting a relationship on the things that matter.

BANNED

Before, after, during, who cares? He was recently pictured drinking again in the latest Amazing X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    So, you've read Before Excalibur as well?
    Then maybe you can jog my memory on where in that book he was abusive towards Meggan?
    Or were you talking about one of his solo series like DDD is?
    Have not read anything prior to Excalibur yet. When I do, I may have a better grasp on Captain Britain.

And by Abusive..I'm not meaning physically I'm meaning emotionally.

All I'm talking about is during Excalibur. Have not got to anything else of his yet.

File Clerk of MI13 The Sword is Drawn's Avatar

Funnily enough, I wholeheartedly endorse this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Well, other than being completely dismissive of her until she became a blonde bombshell wasn't exactly starting a relationship on the things that matter.
    Of course not jumping into a relationship with someone until they morph into something physically beautiful is wrong.
    But that's not quite how I interpreted the scene. It seemed more to me that they were hanging out here and there, and getting to know each other (obviously the book was extremely active), and that when she morphed into her true powers and self, it was when she set those weird babies free and then killed them. Everyone was stunned and shocked. And then suddenly the next issue, I think, they were in Africa going for Brian's brother. The book is great, but does flow oddly.

But at worst, I think it could be found distasteful. Not abusive.

I do however find it fundamentally distasteful that only 24 hrs into the new harder line CBR we're already straying into the very territory which the new harder line CBR was intending to stamp out.

There is no abuse in this relationship. Not physical. Nor mental.

What you are looking at in these early issues is a man broken by grief. And who seeks to try and put the death of his sister out of his head by any means necessary.

Yes, he drinks. He behaves like an ass. And when his team mates point it out to him? He stops. In the very way that an alcoholic cannot. He doesn't spend the next 100+ issues sneaking off for a drink. He doesn't show any signs of either dependency or desire to drink.

Hell, Alan Davis even went on record on his own forum to state that at no point was Brian intended to be considered to be alcoholic.

There is no abusive relationship, here. Far from it. Meggan and Brian are one of the very few positive images of marriage left in Marvel comics. There is no evidence to suggest or even foreshadow and kind of abusive relationship before this series kicked off. In fact before Excalibur Meggan was a much stronger, much more confident woman. One who was every bit the match for Brian.

You don't see that in Claremont's Excalibur. The snappy, argumentative, and forthright Meggan of Captain Britain's solo series was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post

It should be pointed out (and here spoilers come into play) that this incident is far from what it seems.

spoilers:
    Remember that one of the individuals involved has abilities which allow them to very specifically manipulate others. This was not a complicit act.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    No one is more perfect for her than CB. And I KNOW this will NOT be a popular opinion in THIS thread.
    And, of course, no one is more perfect for HIM than Meggan.
    Because Meggan is perfect.
    It may not be a popular opinion but I agree.