Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon23 View Post
    It may not be a popular opinion but I agree.
    We are such outcasts.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by Supernature View Post
    Are the issues that weren't crafter by Claremont and/or Davis worth reading ?
    Ufortunately, no. Scott Lobdell tried to turn the series into yet another generic X-book, losing much of what made the series so much fun to begin with. It's easy to skip from Claremont's last issue to Davis' return in issue 42, then skip from the end of Davis second run to Warren Ellis' issues.

That way, you can avoid the nightmare that is Britannic:

BANNED

Heretically, I preferred Warren Ellis's issues to Claremont or Davis's. Perhaps it was the abrupt tone.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Sword is Drawn View Post
    I do however find it fundamentally distasteful that only 24 hrs into the new harder line CBR we're already straying into the very territory which the new harder line CBR was intending to stamp out.
    Domestic violence should always be denounced. I am not one of those neighbors who will pretend nothing is happening.

BANNED

These are all spoilers. Let's take these issues up when they occur in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by IdaqiBeauty View Post
    Heretically, I preferred Warren Ellis's issues to Claremont or Davis's. Perhaps it was the abrupt tone.
    Ellis' run is excellent, and it comes after a really terrible period for the series. Ellis helped get the book back on track after several awful years.

BANNED

Ellis' run is excellent, and it comes after a really terrible period for the series. Ellis helped get the book back on track after several awful years.
    Yes, it starts in medias res, as if the crap that had been going on had been over for some time.

BANNED

Ufortunately, no. Scott Lobdell tried to turn the series into yet another generic X-book, losing much of what made the series so much fun to begin with. It's easy to skip from Claremont's last issue to Davis' return in issue 42, then skip from the end of Davis second run to Warren Ellis' issues.

That way, you can avoid the nightmare that is Britannic:

Generic Punchy books drive me bonkers. always hated it, hated when it happened to CB also.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    Domestic violence should always be denounced. I am not one of those neighbors who will pretend nothing is happening.
    "It wasn't violence, he was just upset" trying to hide the elephant behind the tree has never helped

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I'm starting my reviews with the Sword is Drawn--the Excalibur GN that started it all, and then I will work my way backwards and then forwards. I don't have to go linear, this team is not an color by numbers team, neither should the reviews be (lol--once I make it to the main series, I will maintain a linear timeline), but alas, I had already started to read TSID before I decided to go another direction.

It starts on Muir Island, where Kitty is having a hell of a nightmare, where she finds herself on the set of a low rent version of some New Line Cinema film, where we get twisted versions of the X-Men she's known to love and cherish to be nothing but window dressing and then Rachel shows up in her dreams, and things take a turn for the worse as they are chased by silver Warwolves, and they shed the X-Men's skins. Kitty helps Ray escape, and the beasties start to gangbang her when she wakes up. Realizing the mess she made, crumbs, she goes out and sees a phoenix like image break with the rising of the sun. Where Meggan, the metamorph with the heart as big as all get out, and the mental capacity of Michelle Bachmann...ouch. That was harsh. Meggan is smarter than that, and she's swimming with some dolphins. After seeing the Phoenix after image, she runs to her lover, Capt. Britain, where he's sulking his sorrows of losing his twin with some hooch, and lashes out at her. He may be stricken with grief, but it wasn't necessary to take i out on the one's you love. She takes off to find the X-Men, who the only one's living at the moment are Kitty & Nightcrawler, where they are licking their wounds, and mulling about the loss of their family, when the most beautiful creature in the omniverse shows up: Gatecrasher.

She tries to obtain Ray's position, but the sizists that the X-Men are, shun her more peaceful offers, and a fight ensues. Especially when Meggan shows up and begins to stir things up. Never going somewhere unprepared, Gatecrasher brings the Technet along with her, and make short work of Kitty and Meggan, allowing Kurt to teleport himself to safety (and you thought chivalry was dead). We find Ray is playing tea party with the mad hatter, and some other weirdos who like to cosplay...where the Warwolves follow her. Getting away by the skin of her teeth, and in an outfit only she could pull off, she runs off in search of something familiar. Kurt finds Brian as a drunken boob, and forces him to his senses by throwing him into the drink and slapping him around and using Jew shaming powers he picked up from Kitty, into helping him rescue the girls from the Technet. Ray's roaming the streets of London, when the Technet find her, and then Warwolves show up, and finally Nightcrawler and Captain Britain show up.

A fight ensues, we get pretty pictures by Alan Davis and the team forms. They decide to stay together and become Excalibur. The end.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I'm starting my reviews with the Sword is Drawn--the Excalibur GN that started it all, and then I will work my way backwards and then forwards. I don't have to go linear, this team is not an color by numbers team, neither should the reviews be (lol--once I make it to the main series, I will maintain a linear timeline), but alas, I had already started to read TSID before I decided to go another direction.

It starts on Muir Island, where Kitty is having a hell of a nightmare, where she finds herself on the set of a low rent version of some New Line Cinema film, where we get twisted versions of the X-Men she's known to love and cherish to be nothing but window dressing and then Rachel shows up in her dreams, and things take a turn for the worse as they are chased by silver Warwolves, and they shed the X-Men's skins. Kitty helps Ray escape, and the beasties start to gangbang her when she wakes up. Realizing the mess she made, crumbs, she goes out and sees a phoenix like image break with the rising of the sun. Where Meggan, the metamorph with the heart as big as all get out, and the mental capacity of Michelle Bachmann...ouch. That was harsh. Meggan is smarter than that, and she's swimming with some dolphins. After seeing the Phoenix after image, she runs to her lover, Capt. Britain, where he's sulking his sorrows of losing his twin with some hooch, and lashes out at her. He may be stricken with grief, but it wasn't necessary to take i out on the one's you love. She takes off to find the X-Men, who the only one's living at the moment are Kitty & Nightcrawler, where they are licking their wounds, and mulling about the loss of their family, when the most beautiful creature in the omniverse shows up: Gatecrasher.

She tries to obtain Ray's position, but the sizists that the X-Men are, shun her more peaceful offers, and a fight ensues. Especially when Meggan shows up and begins to stir things up. Never going somewhere unprepared, Gatecrasher brings the Technet along with her, and make short work of Kitty and Meggan, allowing Kurt to teleport himself to safety (and you thought chivalry was dead). We find Ray is playing tea party with the mad hatter, and some other weirdos who like to cosplay...where the Warwolves follow her. Getting away by the skin of her teeth, and in an outfit only she could pull off, she runs off in search of something familiar. Kurt finds Brian as a drunken boob, and forces him to his senses by throwing him into the drink and slapping him around and using Jew shaming powers he picked up from Kitty, into helping him rescue the girls from the Technet. Ray's roaming the streets of London, when the Technet find her, and then Warwolves show up, and finally Nightcrawler and Captain Britain show up.

A fight ensues, we get pretty pictures by Alan Davis and the team forms. They decide to stay together and become Excalibur. The end.
    Beautiful Summary.

In retrospect what I loved more about this GN was that it all started in Muir, which where eventually it all ends. It was somewhat prophetic to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sword is Drawn View Post
    It should be pointed out (and here spoilers come into play) that this incident is far from what it seems.

spoilers:
    Remember that one of the individuals involved has abilities which allow them to very specifically manipulate others. This was not a complicit act.
    end of spoilers
    The thing is. When it was brought up later...It sure seemed like he was complicit in it. He said something like...looking back on it...something did seem off about it. But I do see your point. It's just when it was brought up later..Brian sure made it sound like he had a choice in the matter.

Again...I hate making opinions off of small sample sizes. So thats why im wording it as...as of right now.

Quote Originally Posted by The High Priestess View Post
    "It wasn't violence, he was just upset" trying to hide the elephant behind the tree has never helped
    Yeah. The He was just upset doesn't fly with me either.

And i'm not a Warren Ellis fan either.
    Last edited by Slicknickshady; 05-01-2014 at 06:58 PM.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The High Priestess View Post
    Beautiful Summary.

In retrospect what I loved more about this GN was that it all started in Muir, which where eventually it all ends. It was somewhat prophetic to say the least.
    The thing I loved was bringing some of the Capt. Britain's rogues gallery and entrenching them into the the Marvel U. proper. We get the Technet in all their glory, plus a Phat Kitty scene when she happens across JoyBoy

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    The thing I loved was bringing some of the Capt. Britain's rogues gallery and entrenching them into the the Marvel U. proper. We get the Technet in all their glory, plus a Phat Kitty scene when she happens across JoyBoy
    this wasn't my first Excalibur issue, but it was definitely my first Technet issue and I loved each one of them. Let me get you that fatKat panel for you darling

BANNED

here.jpg

Bonus FatEmma

bonus.jpg

Somewhere SD is bursting with joy at these pics