Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Default is Brian K. Vaughan the best comic book writer currently

in your opinion do you see him as the best as of right now?

Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post
    lol...yeah these questions are always going to cause arguments

but still Saga is something else

He is decent, and very popular with casuals, but if you read a lot of indie comics, he is just one of many talented writers, of which I have no way of choosing one favorite. Jason Aaron, Rick Remender, Robert Kirkman, Jonathan Hickman, Cullen Bunn, Bendis, Geoff Johns, Garth Ennis, Warren Ellis, Scott Snyder, Jeff Lemire, etc...

BKV has his pros and cons:
    Strengths: snappy dialogue, poignant satire, unique characters, wide emotional range (makes you go from crying to laughing very quickly)
    Weaknesses: wishes he was Joss Whedon, often makes his metaphors so obvious that they feel too preachy, and only seems to be able to write one comic at a time so his bibliography is miniscule compared to the other writers I cited

He's recently become my fav again after alma st eight years. Saga is definitely killing it, but Private Eye with Marcos Martin on art is the best comic ive read in YEARS. So yes, for my money, hes the best. I mean, can anybody else here name a better story teller with as many hit books?

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

He's often pretty good, but I wouldn't rank him anywhere near the top.

Quote Originally Posted by AUScowboy View Post
    I mean, can anybody else here name a better story teller with as many hit books?
    Over the last year? Last five years? Ten years?
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Brian K. Vaughan is a good writer, but he's not the best. His stories are kind of weak and flimsy side of things, especially having seen Y the Last Man and Saga. He's more about the characters than the story (think a reverse Hickman if you will).

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

He's certainly one of my favourites but it's hard to call him the "best" when there are so many great writers out there. And he's certainly not without his flaws. His longer-form stories do tend to have dips in quality in the later parts. Even Y The Last Man, which had a truly excellent final six or so issues, ran out of steam for a bit at the beginning of its final act and the endings of Ex Machina and The Private Eye were good but far from great. Still, his strengths far outweigh his weaknesses and just because he's not an immediate pick for best writer out there right now doesn't mean that he isn't in the running.

Calling him the "reverse Hickman" is interesting and not without validity. But then, considering my preference for character, heart and humour, that probably explains why I find his work so much more satisfying than Hickman's expertly crafted but emotionally inert comics.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Ugh, no .
    no thanks.jpg
    BB

Incredible Member

This is a ridiculous question. He's not even in the top 10.

Saga was good for the first 10 issues or so, but is a boring drag now. Y: The Last Man was great. EX Machina was somewhere between ok and good. We Stand on Guard 1 was amateurish. It read like one of Mark Millar's half-baked movie pitches that is written solely to get movie money.

That resume does not equate to him being the best writer. Off the top of my head, I'd vote for Brubaker, Hickman, Aaron, Rucka, Snyder, fraction, Morrison and maybe barbiere above Vaughan. I don't want to make it sound like I don't think Vaughan is a good writer, he is. But he hasn't earned the title of being the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Random4 View Post
    in your opinion do you see him as the best as of right now?
    Could make an argument for Jeff Lemire, but Brian K. Vaughan has certainly been one of the most consistent, quality writers over the last ten-twelve years with things like Y: The Last Man, Runaways, Dr Strange: The Oath, Ex Machina and Saga.
    My fan fiction:

The Outstanding, a fan fic Universe where Marvel characters and stories are reshaped, revised and retold. Check it out!

The Ultimate Flash, where I take inspiration from classic Silver-Age Comics of Barry Allen and the new CW TV Show to give an old character a new spin! Click here to read!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away the Marvel and Star Wars Universe combine! Check out Marvel: Star Wars' first family, the Fantastic Four! Read it here!

I think he's really talented and consistently puts out good work, but I think it's impossible to declare anyone as "the best."

There are a handful of writers whose work I will buy based solely on the fact that they are the writer, and BKV is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Noviere View Post
    I think he's really talented and consistently puts out good work, but I think it's impossible to declare anyone as "the best."

There are a handful of writers whose work I will buy based solely on the fact that they are the writer, and BKV is one of them.
    Same here.

Spectacular Member

Because of Saga and Y the last man? Morrison, Moore, Jodorowsky and Gaiman are still way better.