Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

He's definitely, one of the Best Out!!
    #MagnetoWasRight

BANNED

No, that would be Warren Ellis.

BANNED

Rucka and Lemire are good, too. I enjoy Antony Johnston's stories. Right now, though, Nick Spencer writes one of the best series I've ever read --- Morning Glories. An amazing book... Joshua Dysart and Matt Kindt are solid.

Grant Morrison writes to himself and his stuff is getting weird and boring. Matt Fraction is everything comics shouldn't be.

And, I guess I need to say it: I liked Y: The Last Man pretty well but Saga really took a bad nose-dive...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sandinista View Post
    The three best comic book writers RIGHT NOW are the Holy British Trinity:

3. Mark Millar
    2. Warren Ellis
    1. Grant Morrison.
    Ellis is miles beyond those two...not even close...

Quote Originally Posted by johnmahananda View Post
    Rucka and Lemire are good, too. I enjoy Antony Johnston's stories. Right now, though, Nick Spencer writes one of the best series I've ever read --- Morning Glories. An amazing book... Joshua Dysart and Matt Kindt are solid.

Grant Morrison writes to himself and his stuff is getting weird and boring. Matt Fraction is everything comics shouldn't be.

And, I guess I need to say it: I liked Y: The Last Man pretty well but Saga really took a bad nose-dive...
    I'm with you on Lemire and Dysart, Kindt is hit or miss for me and he doesn't always finish his stories strong.

Oh, and Saga is back!!

Fantastic Member Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

A lot of writers have good runs and crap runs. Also, what some love, some hate. I think Saga is very entertaining but, while Y The Last Man is pretty popular, I think it is one the most inane, over rated crap fests ever. It is going to be hard to get a consensus on anyone.

Hmmmm

He's certainly one of the best ... not sure if I'd be bold enough to label him the single best

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

good heavens, no--
    Stan Sakai (Usagi Yojimbo)
    Eric Powell (Goon)
    David Latham (Stray Bullets)
    I choose all of them before I'd choose Vaughan...
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
    A lot of writers have good runs and crap runs. Also, what some love, some hate. I think Saga is very entertaining but, while Y The Last Man is pretty popular, I think it is one the most inane, over rated crap fests ever. It is going to be hard to get a consensus on anyone.
    I didn't like Y the last man either, maybe I'd give Saga more of a chance, had I heard more things like " You don't have to like Y to like Saga" . But I don't its always his fans saying stuff like " Everything he writes is Friggin scripture , as if a burning bush wrote it in stone" . I don't like Brian K. Vaugn since hes being touted as the John Steinbeck of Comics. Where one day "Y: the Last man" could be substitute for " Of Mice and Men"

Amazing Member

Fact: Jeff Lemire is the best current writer.

For me:

1. Hickman
    2. Rucka
    3. Lemire
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)

I am enjoying Lazarus so much recently that I'd have to say Rucka is at the top of his game and probably one of the best in the industry at the moment. His newly announced series which introduces new characters into the world of DragonAge has got me so excited. Looking forward to seeing Rucka write a high fantasy book as his world building skills are astounding (yes yes the world of Dragon Age has already been establish but I hope he get to flesh it out even more). Although, I really wasn't a fan of Rucka's 'Veil' though but I just hope that's a blip.

BKV is great but not the best at the moment. Saga has been very 'meh' the past few arcs but #30 was spectacular so hoping it picks up its game again. The Private Eye was a very nice experiment and a helluva strong comic. It's Eisner win was well deserved. I wasn't a massive fan of Y either but thought it was okay at times. Too early to call We Stand on Guard.

Aside from Rucka, Aaron is doing some fantastic work on Southern Bastards and Thor, and I'm hoping The Goddamned is going to be good. Truth be told I haven't read much of Hickmans stuff except East of West which is one of my favourites as well.

Vaughn is good, but not great. Even though Saga and Y: The Last Man are near masterpieces of series', there is not much for him in terms of great stories after that. Runaways is not that good and I personally finds it overrated, Never read his Swamp Thing books, and We Stand On Guard was a really good first issue, but there is only one issue out so I can't have a full opinion on the whole series yet. In short, I think Jeff Lemire and Scott Snyder do what Brian K. Vaughn does but only I think they are better than him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper Avenue View Post
    So true. He is a brilliant writer that blows my mind with everything he writes.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper Avenue View Post
    Far from fact.

I love him, I truly do. I've loved everything I've read of his and think he's a master at writing w/ emotion and drive. I think he was my favorite writer of 2012-2014. But most of his stories are predictable and storytelling seems too safe compared to some of the other elite writers out there.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song